Florence & The Machine, Discusion Thread. - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #91
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Florence + The Machine - What The Water Gave Me - YouTube

< keeps forgetting there are places here to nerd out over other people's music with fellow junkies

Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #92
45:33

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Post here more often! That song is soooo good

Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #93
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

it is sublime . . . will be back to re-read through this thread over the weekend . . . adore Florence; she has the voice of an angel
Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #94
The Fly

Local Time: 05:11 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Ceremonials/dp...7939721&sr=8-7

I think these must have just been posted, but the 30 second samples of the album are right there... Still trying to process them. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #95
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

from fb

Got a question for Florence of Florence + The Machine? She's doing an interview with YouTube and she wants to answer your questions. You've got until Sunday night to ask it! Submit it here: florencemachine&#39;s Channel - YouTube.

Florence And The Machine
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Florence Welch's stripped back blues and folk sees her conspiring with musicians like Dev Hynes of Lightspeed Champion and Kid Harpoon. Her immense vocal talent has been described by The Guardian as "hauntingly captivating".
Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #96
War Child

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Ceremonials is out on October 31st, but it got leaked already, get hyped.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #97
The Male

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Fuck yes.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #98
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:11 AM
I keep forgetting this is coming so soon.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #99
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Ceremonials is out on October 31st, but it got leaked already, get hyped.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #100
War Child

Went through Ceremonials completely already, a modest review:

Only If For A Night - Great song as a intro, beautiful modern melody and the piano beat throughout the whole song is beyond outstanding. The chorus is somewhat repetitive and her voice doesn't really change from tone, it remains constant, which is a shame given her natural talent to hit extremely high notes.

Shake It Out - Nothing impressive nor fulfilling, the 'shake it out' line drowns itself into repetitiveness very quickly and wears down the melody from any meaning other than a bunch of noise. I really can't picture this song being performed live. And "best new track" according to Pitchfork?

What The Water Gave Me - Powerful lyrics and excellent imagery, very calm and grows progressively changing different tempo markings giving it a sense of uniqueness into one of many styles that the band possesses. The arp is noticeable at several parts and ends the song with a nice touch.

Never Let Me Go - Her voice really hits the marking on this one as well as the tranquility that surrounds each verse. A potential mainstream hit on record and live.

Breaking Down - A very big part sounds like late 70's, early 80's soul music. Again, her loud voice could make this song much better instead of pretty much using a low tone, almost whispering, into the whole melody.

Lover To Lover - Stands out mainly because it's one of the few songs so far where her voice is projected into the beat. Most of the piano is heard as a combination of indie background that supports her vocals on a high tone.

No Light, No Light - Finally something somewhat similar to their previous work; would make a great live performance but it lacks deepness unlike other songs.

Seven Devils - Creepy melody, hence the name... very mysterious lyrics and somewhat challenging to comprehend. Her voice doesn't project itself again due to the lack of intensity from the melody. Definitely a filler that lacks originality.

Heartlines - Very similar to Shake It Out, just a few changes with tone and rhythms used.

Spectrum - Indie rock at its best, a great song with a modern and danceable background and the overall tones used make it unlike any other present so far.

All This And Heaven Too - Not bad but not too great either, has a lot of diversion to different tempo markings making the melody not suitable for the lyrics combined.

Leave My Body - A flowing melody that projects her voice, backing vocals, and a lot of the beats altogether almost magically. Ends the album with a great touch.

Overall, the album is good but not better than Lungs. There are a lot of fillers, almost every track sounds the same style-wise, and there's a lack of originality from Paul Epworth. Lungs has a different approach to every song, more variety and creativity, mainly due to the production of Eg White, Charlie Hugall, and Isabella Summers as the main songwriter.

A hit single like Dog Days Are Over isn't within perspective on this record. I perceive that the band rushed too quickly into doing this album with no vision of progressing and doing better than what Lungs brought to the table; maybe the unexpected fame and hefty cash flow got too heated up in their heads.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #101
The Male

Local Time: 02:11 AM
This is pretty good. The choruses are big and bold like always, some of the strongest and most hook-filled of the year, and Florence is in fine voice. Problem is, the album is a little long and samey, which is unfortunate because the production isn't as subtle as last time. Totally worth a listen, just a little weaker than Lungs is all.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #102
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Did anyone catch the live stream from the Ceremonials launch on 25 October?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Its out today in Australia, might pick this and Coldplay up during my lunch break!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #104
Refugee

Local Time: 10:11 AM
After an initial listen, I'd say this sounds more or less how I'd expect to. If you liked Lungs, you'll like this, though it's not as strong. Shake It Out and What the Water Gave Me are probably the best tunes.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can't wait to buy this. I love Florence and the Machine, and the songs I've heard from Ceremonials are epic.

Tags
florence and the machine, florence welch, lungs