Florence & The Machine, Discusion Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from fb

Got a question for Florence of Florence + The Machine? She's doing an interview with YouTube and she wants to answer your questions. You've got until Sunday night to ask it! Submit it here: florencemachine's Channel - YouTube.

Florence And The Machine
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Florence Welch's stripped back blues and folk sees her conspiring with musicians like Dev Hynes of Lightspeed Champion and Kid Harpoon. Her immense vocal talent has been described by The Guardian as "hauntingly captivating".

Went through Ceremonials completely already, a modest review:

Only If For A Night - Great song as a intro, beautiful modern melody and the piano beat throughout the whole song is beyond outstanding. The chorus is somewhat repetitive and her voice doesn't really change from tone, it remains constant, which is a shame given her natural talent to hit extremely high notes.

Shake It Out - Nothing impressive nor fulfilling, the 'shake it out' line drowns itself into repetitiveness very quickly and wears down the melody from any meaning other than a bunch of noise. I really can't picture this song being performed live. And "best new track" according to Pitchfork?

What The Water Gave Me - Powerful lyrics and excellent imagery, very calm and grows progressively changing different tempo markings giving it a sense of uniqueness into one of many styles that the band possesses. The arp is noticeable at several parts and ends the song with a nice touch.

Never Let Me Go - Her voice really hits the marking on this one as well as the tranquility that surrounds each verse. A potential mainstream hit on record and live.

Breaking Down - A very big part sounds like late 70's, early 80's soul music. Again, her loud voice could make this song much better instead of pretty much using a low tone, almost whispering, into the whole melody.

Lover To Lover - Stands out mainly because it's one of the few songs so far where her voice is projected into the beat. Most of the piano is heard as a combination of indie background that supports her vocals on a high tone.

No Light, No Light - Finally something somewhat similar to their previous work; would make a great live performance but it lacks deepness unlike other songs.

Seven Devils - Creepy melody, hence the name... very mysterious lyrics and somewhat challenging to comprehend. Her voice doesn't project itself again due to the lack of intensity from the melody. Definitely a filler that lacks originality.

Heartlines - Very similar to Shake It Out, just a few changes with tone and rhythms used.

Spectrum - Indie rock at its best, a great song with a modern and danceable background and the overall tones used make it unlike any other present so far.

All This And Heaven Too - Not bad but not too great either, has a lot of diversion to different tempo markings making the melody not suitable for the lyrics combined.

Leave My Body - A flowing melody that projects her voice, backing vocals, and a lot of the beats altogether almost magically. Ends the album with a great touch.

Overall, the album is good but not better than Lungs. There are a lot of fillers, almost every track sounds the same style-wise, and there's a lack of originality from Paul Epworth. Lungs has a different approach to every song, more variety and creativity, mainly due to the production of Eg White, Charlie Hugall, and Isabella Summers as the main songwriter.

A hit single like Dog Days Are Over isn't within perspective on this record. I perceive that the band rushed too quickly into doing this album with no vision of progressing and doing better than what Lungs brought to the table; maybe the unexpected fame and hefty cash flow got too heated up in their heads.

This is pretty good. The choruses are big and bold like always, some of the strongest and most hook-filled of the year, and Florence is in fine voice. Problem is, the album is a little long and samey, which is unfortunate because the production isn't as subtle as last time. Totally worth a listen, just a little weaker than Lungs is all.

After an initial listen, I'd say this sounds more or less how I'd expect to. If you liked Lungs, you'll like this, though it's not as strong. Shake It Out and What the Water Gave Me are probably the best tunes.

Totally forgot this was coming out this Tuesday. Very excited for it - I think I've heard just a minute or so of one or two of the new songs.

Then missed the announcement that she's playing here in December, but there were tickets still available, so I'll be going to see her, too. Yay!

Totally forgot this was coming out this Tuesday. Very excited for it - I think I've heard just a minute or so of one or two of the new songs.

Then missed the announcement that she's playing here in December, but there were tickets still available, so I'll be going to see her, too. Yay!

Did I miss a tour announcement, because I can't find anything about that?

Empty gymnastics. That would about sum up Florence and the Machine for me, although she had me fooled for a little while there, back at the beginning.

I want to like her. Some of the music is really interesting, but I just find her shrill voice so irritating. She needs to tone it down and stop constantly shouting. She's like a mad drunken aunt at a karaoke night.

I've listened to the new album a couple of times so far. I think that the first two thirds are really enjoyable, but the last four songs are rather samey and unmemorable; big tribal drums and big vocals and harps and things are all great but they do need good melodies to hang onto and Florence's style can get overbearing without some variety thrown in. I actually got impatient with the album at the end. Stuff that's good is really good though, I'm especially loving Lover to Lover at the moment :drool:

I gave the new album a listen, but got bored about halfway through- I definitely feel the complaint about the lack of variety. It's just all of the same mode. I think I should try the remainder of the songs piecemeal in order to not get burned out again too quickly.

I really like it. Haven't listened all the way though about 2-3 times, and really enjoy it a lot more than I did Lungs (even though I rate that album fairly high) There seems to be just more I enjoy on this one.

She's doing a one off show in Sydney in November as well, yet her website says no tour dates.

turns out you could only purchase tickets via a particular debit mastercard - no idea which bank it was but it p*ssed me off that, unless you were an industry boffin, or wanted to sign up to whicheverbankitwas' new product you got no joy - i tried, believe me . . . adore Florence and understand that it makes business sense but surely she could have sold the Seymour Centre out without even trying?

Empty gymnastics. That would about sum up Florence and the Machine for me, although she had me fooled for a little while there, back at the beginning.

completely disagree with you but I adore your way with words :)

I'm with you bono_man2002 ~ it's gorgeously seductive and, an added bonus for me, the kiddies don't scream at me to turn it off so she's got us all equally captivated :up:

turns out you could only purchase tickets via a particular debit mastercard - no idea which bank it was but it p*ssed me off that, unless you were an industry boffin, or wanted to sign up to whicheverbankitwas' new product you got no joy - i tried, believe me . . . adore Florence and understand that it makes business sense but surely she could have sold the Seymour Centre out without even trying?

Yeah I later found out about that. Ah well, she said on X Factor, or Australia's got Talent whatever the hell the show is Scary Spice is on...that she'll be back next year, so theres that :)

When I first heard Seymour Centre, I thought she was playing in country Victoria! (Seymour is like 1 hour for where I live) ...I was like WTF? haha. Later to realise that it was up in Sydney....bit of a blond moment!

Back
Top Bottom