Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
0134442219_m.jpg

Debut album was just released and, I must say, this is the best record I've heard so far this year. It's absolutely gorgeous. I know Cori and U2popmofo are also into this band, so I figured there might be enough interest to make a thread for them.

Guys, seriously, listen to this record. :heart:

I've tried really, really hard to enjoy/understand this record, but I haven't yet succeeded in doing either of these things. I thought that the Sun Giant EP had its moments, but this one isn't resonating. I will keep trying, though.

Can pro-Foxes types suggest a good starting point or points, on the record? I am finding it a bit too pristine, as a long-player...

This is an album I've heard a lot of fuss about. I might need to check it out. They're opening for Wilco in August, but not when I'm going to see them.

The singer in my band knows them, and knew the singer when he ditched his old band (in an ass-like way) and hired a bunch of "music-pro's" 10-15 years older than him to play music with him. That and they spent a ton of money to work with the producer of The Shins (I believe). Gotta love that well-oiled supergroup cash-machine. :up:

I've tried really, really hard to enjoy/understand this record, but I haven't yet succeeded in doing either of these things. I thought that the Sun Giant EP had its moments, but this one isn't resonating. I will keep trying, though.

Can pro-Foxes types suggest a good starting point or points, on the record? I am finding it a bit too pristine, as a long-player...

Too pristine? I'd say Blue Ridge Mountains then.

The singer in my band knows them, and knew the singer when he ditched his old band (in an ass-like way) and hired a bunch of "music-pro's" 10-15 years older than him to play music with him. That and they spent a ton of money to work with the producer of The Shins (I believe). Gotta love that well-oiled supergroup cash-machine. :up:

Oh noez! We're on a U2 forum.

I'd like to check this out as well.

I like it more with each spin.

Wow, they're playing at the Mohawk July 2. I'm in!

"Your Protector" = one of the songs of the year

great album, I must say... almost flawless, beautiful and warm

I guess so. It'd kinda be like if in 1980, Bono had quit the band and hired a bunch of 35 year old studio musicians so he could write pop hits, though.

So?

I mean, I'm all for musical integrity and all, but if you enjoy it, then what's the rub?

Good to see Pitchfork slopping at the dick of this album, too.

Because of you guys I'm totally gonna check out this album.

If I don't enjoy it, there will be hell to pay.

Say what you want about the P-Fucks, but I've been introduced to a hell of a lot of good music because of them, and so have a lot of other people. There's a lot of indie bands who owe their success to the damned site.

Say what you want about the P-Fucks, but I've been introduced to a hell of a lot of good music because of them, and so have a lot of other people. There's a lot of indie bands who owe their success to the damned site.

Exactly. And it's not like they hate all which is not mainstream (see U2, about whom there is nothing in the same universe as that which we try to define as indie). There's nothing wrong with Pitchfork unless you don't actually read it, and think that their site average of, like, 7 for every album is somehow too low. They like nearly everything, love some stuff real good, are moot on a few things, and justifiably/perhaps unjustifiably hate a few records. Just like everybody, every site, and every magazine.

I keep reading MMJ fans ranting and raving about how biased and hateful Pitchfork is (which gave Z a great rating, by the way) because--gasp!--they gave the new, awful record a 4.7. Oh, no! A 4.7???? That's a whole .3 points less than average!!!!! The world must be ending! :eyebrow: I'm not coming after anybody in this thread about this (I've read it on other boards, not here), but I think it's worth pointing out. There is simply no basis to the ultra-rabid hatred of Pitchfork on the basis of "hating everything" or being too elitist. For fuck's sake, they've even been generous to U2, when U2 has deserved some generosity. Enjoying the music of U2, by default, means that you're not elitist; you're quite populist!

You're right, Laz. Like literally any well-maintained music site, Pitchfork is wonderful for discovering new music--there's no need to confuse, as most under-read people do, "I often disagree with Pitchfork's taste" or "This one time, Pitchfork gave a lukewarm or negative review to a record by a band which I like" with "Pitchfork hates absolutely everything and is nothing more than a bunch of hipster, know-it-all elitists."

In case you didn't know, everybody, Weezer and Jet kind of do actually suck (to me, anyway...and to everybody I know). And amazing bands like Wrens owe every last shred of their success to the spot-on recommendations of the Pitchfork staff. They are also very much responsible for the acceptance of hip-hop within the indie continuum at large, which is huge. I don't love Pitchfork, but neither do I hate it. I accept it as what it is--a flawed, but indispensable, part of the apparatus of modern music criticism. It has only the same flaws that every other reviewer or collection of reviewers has (Rolling Stone, StylusMagazine [R.I.P.], NME, etc.), as well as the same positives...maybe even a few extras, because it covers a lot more territory than can a tradition magazine, like Rolling Stone. Bah.

Sorry about that, everyone. Just, let's get some perspective, that's all I'm saying. I'm done with ranting. I'm gonna go and listen to this record again and try to hear what I've thus far been incapable of hearing...

What IYS said.

And as much as they make fun of Bono and U2, which is like every time the band's name comes up, it still amazes me that HTDAAB received a 6.9. I mean, think about that. Several points higher than MMJ, a band they actually like a lot.

Also compare that Bomb rating to recent albums by a band they have much more respect for, R.E.M. Accelerate only managed a 6.7, while Reveal and Around the Sun pulled a 5.0 and 5.2, respectively.

I've gone and read reviews on Pitchfork before out of curiosity, but I don't like the site, nor do I like most reviews of music. Their reviews of Radiohead albums are as laughable as poor/lukewarm reviews, including the 0.0 for The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka. It's true they've introduced people to new music, that's awesome, it should be what mags/sites like that do. I get most of my music either from here or various blogs and torrents, not from sites like those. It's cool if you like them, not knocking anyone from that, but I find them absurd - Rolling Stone, NME, Spin, all of them.

I also don't like, as I've stated before, the fucking decimal rating system. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

Rationalize all you want. Pitchfork sucks. And with any luck they'll be going away soon.

Good riddance.

Smarmy douchebags who don't give a rats ass about music:down:.

Get paying jobs.

Smarmy douchebags who don't give a rats ass about music:down:.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. I'm sorry, but it is. They clearly care about music. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they are (writing dozens upon dozens of reviews, month after month) without pay. Absurd. Sigh.

I'd forgotten that Zaireeka review, though. It's only anecdotal evidence, of course (ie, one review out of thousands doesn't mean the whole site is worthless), but it's a good call. Jesus, what an awful review that was...

I'd forgotten that Zaireeka review, though. It's only anecdotal evidence, of course (ie, one review out of thousands doesn't mean the whole site is worthless), but it's a good call. Jesus, what an awful review that was...

Right, I'm not gonna stereotype the site based on that one piece of shit review, but it does sort of prove my point against all kinds of review sites.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. I'm sorry, but it is. They clearly care about music. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they are (writing dozens upon dozens of reviews, month after month) without pay. Absurd. Sigh.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. They clearly don't give a rats ass about music. That's why they write what they write. It's all practice for telling off the girlfriends they'll never have. Their reviews are all an effort to out do one another in the "shit on" factor.

They don't even listen to half the shit they review. They just write the insults to write the insults.

Pitchfork are jerk-offs who like writing about music personalities for free.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom