Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Though this is a Fleet Foxes thread, the horns in The National Anthem and their foreboding nature are what make the song good, to me.

The horns in The National Anthem are awesome :up: The ending of The Shrine/An Argument on the other hand sounds like a pregnant cow in pain.

The new album is not as immediately captivating as their debut and on the first listen nothing really stuck in my mind apart from the overall prettiness and that godawful ending. Hopefully further listens will fix that.

motherfucker. They are so good live! Once I figure out how to split video, I'll have some shitty video clips to post. The audio isn't half bad in them, though! I would have had more, but they had people walking up and down the aisle asking us to turn off recording devices. If I'd know the audio would be this good and my hand so poor at recording, I simply would have left it on pointing at the ceiling the whole time. Instead I've got a few of the songs. If anyone can help me figure out how to split MP4s so I can split the tracks, let me know!

Sadly, they weren't selling the new album at the show. I bought the EP on disc (previously bought it through iTunes), the vinyl (came with Sun Giant on vinyl) and a poster. Modestly priced--$30 total for the trio. Mrs. Tourist bought a t-shirt. They're a bit on the expensive side, relatively speaking, at $25. At least that's expensive compared to picking up a band shirt at a retailer.

Be warned, ye, for thar be setlists in the spoiler!

01. The Cascades
02. Grown Ocean
03. Drops In The River
04. Battery Kinzie
05. Bedouin Dress
06. Sim Sala Bim
07. Mykonos
08. Your Protector
09. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song*
10. White Winter Hymnal
11. Ragged Wood
12. Lorelai
13. Montezuma
14. He Doesn't Know Why
15. The Shrine/An Argument
16. Blue Spotted Tail
17. Blue Ridge Mountains
Encore:
18. Silver Dagger (Joan Baez cover)
19. Helplessness Blues

*full band version--quite different.

I was a bit disappointed in the lack of Sun Giant/Sun It Rises and Quiet Houses; I was fully expecting Sun Giant/Sun It Rises to open the encore. Their vocals were very, very on. Morgan Henderson was pretty hilarious to watch at parts, just the way he rocks back on his heels when he taps his feet and also how on the one song he didn't play anything on, he just sat off on the side of the stage in a chair with his legs crossed and watched the band play. Robin was wearing a ridiculous giant red button up shirt that was about 3 sizes too big, but he said his pants were so tight that the shirt made up for it in roominess. He broke a string on the first song. On The Shrine, he used two capos (something like 3rd and 6th frets); one for the first part with the fingerpicking, and he threw it aside for the "in the morning" part. Sky's birthday was today. During Helplessness Blues I'm pretty sure that the microphone on his amp was muted. Sky, Casey, and Christian all played mandolins at various points. Morgan played guitars, percussion, upright bass, flute, and saxophone. J. Tillman is a badass. And I want Casey's mellotron. :drool:

Can't wait to see them again!

:up:

Looking forward to seeing them again. It'll be nice to see them when they have more than an hour's worth of material to perform. :wink:

My copy of the album is still "in transit", so I probably won't get to listen until tonight. Not sure why I ordered it from Amazon, should have just picked it up during lunch today instead.

The reason that the sax works on National Anthem is that it coheres so well with the frenetic energy of the rest of the song, whereas in the Fleet Foxes song it appears abruptly, seemingly with the sole purpose of adding an unexpected dimension.

I'll have to go back and listen to the Jungleland solo. I admit that I was a bit surprised to see that song on the list.

The album arrived in the mail today and after another listen it's definitly my top album of the year so far. I like it a lot more than the debut (haven't heard the EP yet). Helplessness Blues and about every song after are highlights atm.

lostboysha.gif

Click

For me, the best three songs on Helplessness Blues are Sim Sala Bim, Grown Ocean, and the title track. Those three are even with the highs from the debut and Sun Giant.

There's some very bizarre stuff on European TV. I was in France recently and stumbled upon a show entitled "When Music Was Good." It was a continuous run of thirty-second clips of some very well-known artists. The strange thing was that they were all clearly lip-syncing and were surrounded by highly-sexualized dancers. All of the clips also seemed to have come from the same venue. Anyway, back to Fleet Foxes.

I'm listening to the end of The Shrine / An Argument for the first time right now.

You were all very right.

Not even THE WAX! can cover that up.

Not that I give a shit. A couple of weak minutes is no big deal after hanging with the Chuck Norris of indie folk albums for 45 minutes.

Not even THE WAX! can cover that up.

Not that I give a shit. A couple of weak minutes is no big deal after hanging with the Chuck Norris of indie folk albums for 45 minutes.

And that's with arguably the best song on the album still waiting after it. Heh, gotta go thru hell to get to heaven? ...or just skip 2 minutes of a song. Reminds me of the people outraged at the Chris Rock bit on Blame Game, to be honest.

Got my first 3 listens in today.....

I really really enjoyed it, I'm quite pleased.

The only thing I disliked was when a bunch of chickens showed up midway through the 10th song. Other than that, good stuff.

Know what really sucks about that song? The first part is so great, I always think, "Whoa, what track is this?!" Then I look and realize the song is going to make my ears barf in a few minutes.

Know what really sucks about that song? The first part is so great, I always think, "Whoa, what track is this?!" Then I look and realize the song is going to make my ears barf in a few minutes.

Edit it to a fade out before then in audacity. :wink:

Edit it to a fade out before then in audacity. :wink:

I actually did that after about the second listen. The Shrine/An Argument now ends at 6:19 on U2inUtah's iTunes.

Gotta say though, the album as a whole is pretty great. Contender for album of the year for sure.

I really don't think that the ending of The Shrine / An Argument is all that offensive. I gather that it is intended to represent the entropy of a failing relationship, and it seems to accomplish that aim fairly well. They might have gone about doing so a bit more subtly, but I admire that they tried something different.

The Shrine/An Argument is still the best song on the album because the first part is so awesome. The way he sings Sunlight over me no matter... is unbelievable. Also, the horns at the end aren't that bad. They even work in the beginning but then they stay too long.

The horns are, unfortunately, wretched, but, I'll suffer them because the track is gorgeous prior to that.

Album has sunk its hooks into me, really enjoying it.

I'm not sure how I feel about this album yet. It's okay, sure, but I don't know how I can keep enjoying their formula. None of the songs really stand out like Mykonos or Blue Ridge Mountains - sure, it's a big call for anyone to write songs that luscious, but those two tracks go beyond "just another Fleet Foxes song" and straight into all time awesome territory for me.

I wasn't too offended by the horns on The Shrine/An Argument, though.

Sometimes I get the "green apples hang from a green apple tree" part stuck in my head for hours when I'm at work.

Years ago, birds of a feather would arrive nightly.
Gone you know, held to another like clutched ivy...
la la la

Great. I sell my tickets for twice face value and can still hear it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom