Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No shit. Between that Yakety Sax, the embarrassingly maudlin vocal/lyrics, and a fucking JONNY QUEST REFERENCE..... woof.

The ending of "National Anthem" is awesome though.
I will never understand the appeal of music that is intentionally atonal. I don't like the ending of The National Anthem, just like I don't like Mike Garson's solo on Alladin Sane.

I'm a big fan of Sun Giant, but I can't really see how it would be stronger than the self-titled album. To me, the ST is just a more fully-realized and better-executed version of the EP. As you say, they're both great, though.

Really just comes down to a preference of songs. Drops in the River, Mykonos, and English House could easily be my three favorite songs from the band.

the tourist said:
Dante the Magician used the term. He died before Johnny Quest was a twinkle in Hanna-Barbera's eye.

Still dumb. And if it wasn't obvious by now, I'm totally kidding.

Though this is a Fleet Foxes thread, the horns in The National Anthem and their foreboding nature are what make the song good, to me.

I liked about half of it and was turned off by the other half. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the debut either (folk just isn't really my style). They're very talented and can write a great song, but they don't quite sync up with me.

I probably would have hated the horns at the end of The Shine/An Argument if I hadn't listened to Song Cycle by Van Dyke Parks and acquired that taste.

Happy release day.

Just popped into my local record shop during lunch and they already had this on the shelf. They're usually pretty strict about street dates, but they didn't say anything when I checked out. I was just going to download this from iTunes, but there's just something about having it a whole 10 hours before anyone else. :shifty:

Finally went legit and grabbed Tomboy on vinyl as well.

Dang, that's nice. One of the stores here used to release things early randomly, but they seem to not do it any more. Waiting for Amazon to ship my copy, I still have only heard the 2 or 3 songs they've officially released before the stream online.

Finally went legit and grabbed Tomboy on vinyl as well.

Seriously, how much better does that shit sound on the wax? To use a tired, wanky audiophile phrase, it gives the tracks that sounded cluttered on earbuds a chance to really breathe. Intoxicating stuff.

lostboysha.gif

motherfucker. They are so good live! Once I figure out how to split video, I'll have some shitty video clips to post. The audio isn't half bad in them, though! I would have had more, but they had people walking up and down the aisle asking us to turn off recording devices. If I'd know the audio would be this good and my hand so poor at recording, I simply would have left it on pointing at the ceiling the whole time. Instead I've got a few of the songs. If anyone can help me figure out how to split MP4s so I can split the tracks, let me know!

Sadly, they weren't selling the new album at the show. I bought the EP on disc (previously bought it through iTunes), the vinyl (came with Sun Giant on vinyl) and a poster. Modestly priced--$30 total for the trio. Mrs. Tourist bought a t-shirt. They're a bit on the expensive side, relatively speaking, at $25. At least that's expensive compared to picking up a band shirt at a retailer.

Be warned, ye, for thar be setlists in the spoiler!

01. The Cascades
02. Grown Ocean
03. Drops In The River
04. Battery Kinzie
05. Bedouin Dress
06. Sim Sala Bim
07. Mykonos
08. Your Protector
09. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song*
10. White Winter Hymnal
11. Ragged Wood
12. Lorelai
13. Montezuma
14. He Doesn't Know Why
15. The Shrine/An Argument
16. Blue Spotted Tail
17. Blue Ridge Mountains
Encore:
18. Silver Dagger (Joan Baez cover)
19. Helplessness Blues

*full band version--quite different.

I was a bit disappointed in the lack of Sun Giant/Sun It Rises and Quiet Houses; I was fully expecting Sun Giant/Sun It Rises to open the encore. Their vocals were very, very on. Morgan Henderson was pretty hilarious to watch at parts, just the way he rocks back on his heels when he taps his feet and also how on the one song he didn't play anything on, he just sat off on the side of the stage in a chair with his legs crossed and watched the band play. Robin was wearing a ridiculous giant red button up shirt that was about 3 sizes too big, but he said his pants were so tight that the shirt made up for it in roominess. He broke a string on the first song. On The Shrine, he used two capos (something like 3rd and 6th frets); one for the first part with the fingerpicking, and he threw it aside for the "in the morning" part. Sky's birthday was today. During Helplessness Blues I'm pretty sure that the microphone on his amp was muted. Sky, Casey, and Christian all played mandolins at various points. Morgan played guitars, percussion, upright bass, flute, and saxophone. J. Tillman is a badass. And I want Casey's mellotron. :drool:

Can't wait to see them again!

I still haven't heard Sun Giant, I fell asleep during it the one time I gave it a go.

I was going to say something if "Jungleland" wasn't on that list (and said something anyways!). As a saxophone player, I do like that solo pretty well, but as far as I understand, among the sax community, it's considered Godawful.

I actually like the sax in A Night Like This.

But yes, this.

To me, every single moment of recorded sound on that album is perfect. I have the urge to lick the CD case whenever I see it on my shelf. I would eat that album for sustenance, if such a thing was possible.

Back
Top Bottom