Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, I appreciate your professional tone. Except you already called me scumbo, so the fantasy is over.

I'm glad to hear of the chainsawing, as it helps confirm my sig. I'll be on playing as well. I've been putting off going to the gym for the last 2 hours, so I'll be doing that at some point, but chainsawing after that. I already have the sig idea for tomorrow.

The changing sig is wonderful.

I am going to watch Lost and BSG, neither of which I watched last night, then likely will be on......

To answer your first question: No.

To answer your second question: Trickier. In general, I do not have a problem with it, in that the physical copy will eventually go back to the owner, and the person that borrowed cannot own it and forget to pay for it. When you download an album illegally, you might indeed love it, then either opt to still not pay, or, you might mean to pay and honestly forget to do so.

My main issue is with downloading music illegally and never paying for it....after that, there are degrees and shades of grey.

I agree. The only album on either my computer or iPod that I do not own is Andrew Bird's Useless Creatures and that is only because the store that I bought Noble Beast at didn't have the set. I'm trying to find some place that will sell it to me individually, but have not found it as of yet.

I understand Scumbo's stance on stealing and I whole heartedly agree, but I feel that he has lost the thread in this argument. You're fighting the symptom instead of the problem. The problem is not illegal downloading in and of itself. I'm sure no artist (especially indie bands) has a problem with people checking out their music - whether through mixed tapes (80's bitches), borrowing CDs or through illegal downloads. Either way, their music is receiving a wider listening audience. That's a good thing. Scumbo is right in that it makes no sense that people actually steal music.

I know this is left over from yesterday and I should just let it be, but I just needed to say that any argument so far is made null-and-void to me by this post in the GOYB leak thread: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5739622&postcount=467 . There's a high horse somewhere living in a glass stable. Nothing against you personally, just sayin'.

Dalton hit the nail on the head. Stealing is ultimately wrong. If you ultimately pay for what you like and listen to, there's no problem. (It's entertainment--sucks for the field, but that's how it works. You can even get your money back at a movie theater if you tell them the movie sucked. My brother's theater gave back a fortune for 'Eyes Wide Shut.') The issue is that there's no way to tell who ends up paying for stuff or if people really get rid of stuff they don't listen to, and that they don't spread it around. That's the reason why the industry suddenly cares now and didn't when people were copying cassette tapes. It had nothing to do with the age of the people doing the copying, how much money they had, or if they were old enough to think it was wrong. It has everything to do with the fact that one copied cassette tape couldn't spread to a thousand people at the click of a button. It's the ease of availabilty & spread that has made the initial act itself suddenly wrong.

In the end, I got exposed to a new band yesterday. And if anyone cynically doubts that I'll ever buy the real $10 album, then perhaps one can take some solace in thinking about how that exposure will lead to me spending $50 on a concert ticket or $30 on a tshirt. If that doesn't help, oh well.

But again, it just really sucks to be hammered by people who partake in similar activities in some shape or form.

A b-side from a single that may not get released in the US? That's reaching a bit, isn't it?

He also said that he's gonna buy the single anyway, too... $12 for 2 tracks.

I know this is left over from yesterday and I should just let it be, but I just needed to say that any argument so far is made null-and-void to me by this post in the GOYB leak thread: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5739622&postcount=467 . There's a high horse somewhere living in a glass stable. Nothing against you personally, just sayin'.

Dalton hit the nail on the head. Stealing is ultimately wrong. If you ultimately pay for what you like and listen to, there's no problem. (It's entertainment--sucks for the field, but that's how it works. You can even get your money back at a movie theater if you tell them the movie sucked. My brother's theater gave back a fortune for 'Eyes Wide Shut.') The issue is that there's no way to tell who ends up paying for stuff or if people really get rid of stuff they don't listen to, and that they don't spread it around. That's the reason why the industry suddenly cares now and didn't when people were copying cassette tapes. It had nothing to do with the age of the people doing the copying, how much money they had, or if they were old enough to think it was wrong. It has everything to do with the fact that one copied cassette tape couldn't spread to a thousand people at the click of a button. It's the ease of availabilty & spread that has made the initial act itself suddenly wrong.

In the end, I got exposed to a new band yesterday. And if anyone cynically doubts that I'll ever buy the real $10 album, then perhaps one can take some solace in thinking about how that exposure will lead to me spending $50 on a concert ticket or $30 on a tshirt. If that doesn't help, oh well.

But again, it just really sucks to be hammered by people who partake in similar activities in some shape or form.

He was not being serious at all, you know. I recall him ranting multiple times about how sick that thread made him because "people who love this band couldn't put down $0.99 for one song."

Fleet Foxes - what a band!

Great debut and Mykonos is one of the best songs ever!
Listened to it 20 times today

Very special band:up:

You've gotta be joking, it was a rip from the first play of one song on a fucking radio show. IE, the shittiest quality ever. Seriously, you are grasping for straws, and I know you're smart enough to know the difference between listening to one song that was played on the radio and stealing a CD quality rip of an entire album. And if you want to get really technical, I deleted the email the second I received it, as I had already purchased the song on iTunes. :shrug:

To get even more technical, I've purchased the physical single as well, and it's presently on the way from another continent as I had import it.

Well, radio rips are illegal enough to force the mods on here to disallow posting links to them, so I'd say Utoo still has a valid point. Besides, I don't really see in the original post of that thread that it was going to be a radio rip that would be distributed.

At the time, we had no knowledge that there would be a stream or the availability on iTunes.

So you didn't know whether you were going to get legal or illegal material sent? In that case you should have refrained from participating, if you wanted to remain pure.

This was the OP:

"Get On Your Boots" E-mail Request Thread...
With many of us at work durring the day and unable to neccesarily be checking the forums every 5 minutes...

.. and with a new U2 single ready to drop, well, any minute now really...

We obviously know the rules against posting links to mp 3's on the site... it's illegal, don't do it... but we've always had our e-mail requests for mp 3's and links to the file, etc. etc.

So put your e-mail address down... and when the big one does hit even those of us who are stuck in a meeting or unable to get to Interference can share in the news, and share in the tune as well.

Sounds to me like it could be any quality from any source.

Although Scumby and I don't always see eye to eye on the file sharing thing (I am getting better about it, if he's wondering) it's ridiculous for you to call into question his commitment to his convictions on the subject.

You've gotta be joking, it was a rip from the first play of one song on a fucking radio show. IE, the shittiest quality ever. Seriously, you are grasping for straws, and I know you're smart enough to know the difference between listening to one song that was played on the radio and stealing a CD quality rip of an entire album. And if you want to get really technical, I deleted the email the second I received it, as I had already purchased the song on iTunes. :shrug:

To get even more technical, I've purchased the physical single as well, and it's presently on the way from another continent as I had import it.

Sorry, mate. I see no more justification for your "technicalities" as there are for mine. You deleted the song because you'd already bought it from itunes? Yet it's not okay when I do the same. So my first listen isn't from the version I bought, the end result is the same. As I said, I download and listen; if I like it, I buy it; if I don't, I delete it. I've either bought the album or I've deleted it.

It's all bullshit. Everyone has their own level of justification. You say it's only one song, so that's somehow better than 10 songs. Right. You say it's radio quality, so it's okay. Well, unless someone downloads wav files, it ain't CD quality. You can say 128 is loads better than radio quality, yet I may say differently (especially if that radio clip was recorded from a radio stream on a computer). And as was noted a few posts up, there was no indication at all in that thread that it was going to be a radio clip. In fact, the file that was emailed was CD quality--as most of the people expected. You say it's okay that you asked for the file because you ultimately bought it before the email arrived. Yet isn't the fault in asking for it in the first place? If not, is it really such a sin to listen to the file, then buy it, then delete it? Others in this thread say it might be okay because 1). the single wouldn't be available in this country, or 2). we didn't know a free stream would be available. Do those reasons really make it okay? Everyone apparently has different reasoning. You buy your reasoning, I buy mine, they buy theirs. Bark at the ones who keep the files and never buy a track.

Everyone needs to ask themselves a few questions before they get all high and mighty. Do you have any of the U2 beach clips? Do you own the Salome Outtakes? Do you have any of the "leaked" clips or videos---of any quality whatsoever? Is every single b-side, extra track, or side project track that you own originally from a disc or vinyl that you owned first and then ripped yourself? Do you have any music videos of any band on your computer? Have you recorded any tv show (even the news) onto vhs or dvd or hard drive without asking permission of the producers? Have you recorded any movies onto vhs/dvd/hard drive, even if you recorded it from TV? Do you own any bootleg concert CDs or dvds (the concert was commercially available in form of tickets, you just chose not to go; listening to/watching the bootleg is enjoying the artist's material without rewarding the artist)? Have you watched clips of any tv shows, movies, concerts, music videos on YouTube that were not uploaded by the artist or representing company (there's absolutely no difference between owning a file and watching it a dozen times versus watching it a dozen times and not owning it, if you don't spread the file)? Do you have any photocopies of books, textbooks or otherwise, that were not provided to you by an educator and that you did not ask the publisher or author for permission to copy?

If you can answer "no" to every single one of those questions (and I'm sure that some can), then enter this discussion. If you can't, then give me a fucking break. For every single question, an argument can be made that you're ripping off the artist---without grasping for straws. Don't give me that crap.

I'm not trying to make anyone out to be bad. I'm just tired of essentially being labeled 'bad' for doing something that has the same end result as what many here do themselves. You can't seriously slam my own reasoning for doing what I did with the Fleet Foxes disc and then expect me to buy into your own lame reasoning about the GOYB track. There's seriously no fucking difference. If I were to download the album and then never buy it, or if I were to seed the files elsewhere, then that's an issue. But as it is, lay the fuck off.

Everyone needs to ask themselves a few questions before they get all high and mighty. Do you have any of the U2 beach clips? Do you own the Salome Outtakes? Do you have any of the "leaked" clips or videos---of any quality whatsoever? Is every single b-side, extra track, or side project track that you own originally from a disc or vinyl that you owned first and then ripped yourself? Do you have any music videos of any band on your computer? Have you recorded any tv show (even the news) onto vhs or dvd or hard drive without asking permission of the producers? Have you recorded any movies onto vhs/dvd/hard drive, even if you recorded it from TV? Do you own any bootleg concert CDs or dvds (the concert was commercially available in form of tickets, you just chose not to go; listening to/watching the bootleg is enjoying the artist's material without rewarding the artist)? Have you watched clips of any tv shows, movies, concerts, music videos on YouTube that were not uploaded by the artist or representing company (there's absolutely no difference between owning a file and watching it a dozen times versus watching it a dozen times and not owning it, if you don't spread the file)? Do you have any photocopies of books, textbooks or otherwise, that were not provided to you by an educator and that you did not ask the publisher or author for permission to copy?

If you can answer "no" to every single one of those questions (and I'm sure that some can), then enter this discussion.

Haha very good points! :up:

Sorry, mate. I see no more justification for your "technicalities" as there are for mine. You deleted the song because you'd already bought it from itunes? Yet it's not okay when I do the same. So my first listen isn't from the version I bought, the end result is the same. As I said, I download and listen; if I like it, I buy it; if I don't, I delete it. I've either bought the album or I've deleted it.

It's all bullshit. Everyone has their own level of justification. You say it's only one song, so that's somehow better than 10 songs. Right. You say it's radio quality, so it's okay. Well, unless someone downloads wav files, it ain't CD quality. You can say 128 is loads better than radio quality, yet I may say differently (especially if that radio clip was recorded from a radio stream on a computer). And as was noted a few posts up, there was no indication at all in that thread that it was going to be a radio clip. In fact, the file that was emailed was CD quality--as most of the people expected. You say it's okay that you asked for the file because you ultimately bought it before the email arrived. Yet isn't the fault in asking for it in the first place? If not, is it really such a sin to listen to the file, then buy it, then delete it? Others in this thread say it might be okay because 1). the single wouldn't be available in this country, or 2). we didn't know a free stream would be available. Do those reasons really make it okay? Everyone apparently has different reasoning. You buy your reasoning, I buy mine, they buy theirs. Bark at the ones who keep the files and never buy a track.

If you can answer "no" to every single one of those questions (and I'm sure that some can), then enter this discussion. If you can't, then give me a fucking break. For every single question, an argument can be made that you're ripping off the artist---without grasping for straws. Don't give me that crap.

I'm not trying to make anyone out to be bad. I'm just tired of essentially being labeled 'bad' for doing something that has the same end result as what many here do themselves. You can't seriously slam my own reasoning for doing what I did with the Fleet Foxes disc and then expect me to buy into your own lame reasoning about the GOYB track. There's seriously no fucking difference. If I were to download the album and then never buy it, or if I were to seed the files elsewhere, then that's an issue. But as it is, lay the fuck off.

There's a huge difference between downloading an album to "test it out" and see if it's worth it to buy and downloading a radio rip of something you are 100% certain you're going to purchase anyway. Not just a small difference, a huge one.

Well, I'm glad we've had this discussion, as I will never download a radio rip of the debut of a song again. And that's not sarcasm, I really won't. Lucky for me, I never actually listened to this radio rip in question, and deleted the email without ever opening opening it. :up:

Back on topic, if you didn't see the link when Pitchfork debuted the video, Sub Pop has finally posted the official video for Mykonos on your Youtube page:

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Mykonos

Well, I'm glad we've had this discussion, as I will never download a radio rip of the debut of a song again. And that's not sarcasm, I really won't. Lucky for me, I never actually listened to this radio rip in question, and deleted the email without ever opening opening it. :up:

Back on topic, if you didn't see the link when Pitchfork debuted the video, Sub Pop has finally posted the official video for Mykonos on your Youtube page:

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Mykonos

Thanks for posting....I liked the video, and, god, that song is awesomeness.

Thanks for posting....I liked the video, and, god, that song is awesomeness.

Brother you don't need to turn me away
I was waiting down at the ancient gate
You go
Wherever you go today
You go today

Dude, you have no idea how much 360 I did today. You never logged on. :grumpy:

Speaking of 360, it won't fucking connect to the Internet for some reason. This is incredibly bothersome.

Speaking of 360, it won't fucking connect to the Internet for some reason. This is incredibly bothersome.

I was having connection issues on Live through out the day, actually, Kicked me and my friend out of a couple games, we finally gave up. You may just be experiencing some of that.

Imperor says that since you are about to join the interference chainsaw rape gang, that he might as well,too.

Yeah, we talked about that last night via Live. We also talked about how you sound like a cartoon character.

I was having connection issues on Live through out the day, actually, Kicked me and my friend out of a couple games, we finally gave up. You may just be experiencing some of that.

I hope so. I couldn't get Internet connection before it got to the Live section on the Network config, and I didn't change anything. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom