Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a young kid, yup.

As an adult? Maybe twice? Possibly just once, and it was not to check something out to see if I'd buy it, it was because something I already pre-purchased was leaked, and I wanted an early listen.

And my putting a hand on a bible wouldn't mean shit, but that's another discussion.

I guess you're a wrong person then.

How fucking awesome are Fleet Foxes, tho? Shit, mang. They came outta nowhere with their beards and their pretty sounds and melodies and imagery and gave us some wonderful stuff. A ridiculously accomplished output of songs for such a young band. I love it. I swear. Hands on the bible.

I challenge you all to a cage match. Please make sure to wear leotards and/or speedos.

Thanx, guyz.

Have you ever made mixes for people? Do you watch music videos on YouTube? Do you watch clips of movies or tv shows on YouTube? How many of the music videos that you have on your computer did you purchase? Have you ever listened to recordings from people standing outside of Bono's house?

Throw a rock in the air.....

If someone only downloads illegally and never pays for anything, fine, that's wrong. If you trash the crap you don't like and ultimately buy a hard copy of what you do, no blood lost. If there's an artist or person in the industry who would really sleep better knowing that they've got my ten bucks and I hate their material and will never listen to it more than that once, well...wow.

I challenge you all to a cage match. Please make sure to wear leotards and/or speedos.

Will Cori and April attend? :hmm:

Have you ever made mixes for people? Do you watch music videos on YouTube? Do you watch clips of movies or tv shows on YouTube? How many of the music videos that you have on your computer did you purchase? Have you ever listened to recordings from people standing outside of Bono's house? Do you read an excerpt of a book on Amazon or in person before you buy it?

Throw a rock in the air.....

If someone only downloads illegally and never pays for anything, fine, that's wrong. If you trash the crap you don't like and ultimately buy a hard copy of what you do, no blood lost. If there's an artist or person in the industry who would really sleep better knowing that they've got my ten bucks and I hate their material and will never listen to it more than that once, well...wow.

It's hard for me to debate with someone who does something that's clearly wrong, but keeps defending it. I'd rather you just say "Yup, it's illegal, I do it anyway and I don't really care about the overall impact this has on the industry". It would be purer than repeated attempts to lump me in with you to help justify your own behavior.

I've not attacked you, I've not called you any names, I've not really done anything but explain my stance on why the out and out stealing of music bothers me.

Again, if you cannot understand how this would bother someone that works in the entertainment industry, I do not know what to tell you and I'll just move on. Thank you for listening.

It's hard for me to debate with someone who does something that's clearly wrong, but keeps defending it. I'd rather you just say "Yup, it's illegal, I do it anyway and I don't really care about the overall impact this has on the industry". It would be purer than repeated attempts to lump me in with you to help justify your own behavior.

I've not attacked you, I've not called you any names, I've not really done anything but explain my stance on why the out and out stealing of music bothers me.

Again, if you cannot understand how this would bother someone that works in the entertainment industry, I do not know what to tell you and I'll just move on. Thank you for listening.

I completely understand. And I will readily admit that it's "illegal." Jay-walking is "illegal," too.

I'm not attacking anyone, either, though I do find that it's hypocritical and wrong in my point of view to make an argument against something that is absolutely no worse or different than anything that one might have done oneself.

And my putting a hand on a bible wouldn't mean shit, but that's another discussion.

I would say, "It would mean a lot when your hand catches on fire as soon as you touch it," but I'm sure Jesus wouldn't do that to one of his own.

Now down to business. Scumbo and NSW, do you also think its wrong to listen to an album at a Virgin store and then decide not to listen to an album? Do you think it is wrong to borrow an album from a friend and then decide not to buy it?

I completely understand. And I will readily admit that it's "illegal." Jay-walking is "illegal," too.

I'm not attacking anyone, either, though I do find that it's hypocritical and wrong in my point of view to make an argument against something that is absolutely no worse or different than anything that one might have done oneself.

I really do my best to abstain from doing anything for free that I'd normally pay for......which, ironically, is Girls Aloud Fan's stance on sex. Some people like professionals, and GAF is one of them.

I see your point, though, I just had to weigh in.

I also like my taking the time to mention that I'm not attacking you, only to call someone else a "dick" immediately thereafter. Nice work, NSW.

I would say, "It would mean a lot when your hand catches on fire as soon as you touch it," but I'm sure Jesus wouldn't do that to one of his own.

Now down to business. Scumbo and NSW, do you also think its wrong to listen to an album at a Virgin store and then decide not to listen to an album? Do you think it is wrong to borrow an album from a friend and then decide not to buy it?

Is there a record store anywhere near your reservation? Because if not, the question is moot.

I really do my best to abstain from doing anything for free that I'd normally pay for......which, ironically, is Girls Aloud Fan's stance on sex. Some people like professionals, and GAF is one of them.

I see your point, though, I just had to weigh in.

I also like my taking the time to mention that I'm not attacking you, only to call someone else a "dick" immediately thereafter. Nice work, NSW.

:lol:

Can I peek in and say that I like the album, despite the fact that I apparently have devil horns and stink of sulphur?

Next listen will be with headphones. :drool:

Oh, and when I purchase the disc, I'll be sure to scan the receipt and email it to all who are interested! :wink:

Actually, as far as I'm concerned, illegal downloading has helped the music industry. Before the interweb, I used to have to knife artists and steal their cds. Illegal downloads have reduced knife crime.

Before the Internet it used to be a KNIFE APOCALYPSE.

I stepped back, because I don't want to get too long winded, as I always seem to with this kind of stuff. For me, it just comes down to a respect of someone's work. I think we'd all revolt if our respective employers came to us and said "We've decided to hold your check this week until we see if we end up liking the work you did. It may take us numerous times of trying out the project you were doing before we decide if we'll pay you for it or not. It may even take months to know. Actually, we may just end up using your work for ever, and entirely forget to getting around to paying you for it. There's pretty much no promise as to whether or not we'll ever pay you for your work, but will certainly will make use of it immediately."

Yet we (I say "we" loosely, and any and everyone on here who knows me knows that I am ridiculously anal about buying albums, or only downloading things legally) do that to the industry and artists we're supposedly fans of every time a leak is downloaded, a full album is stolen, etc.

There are soooo many ways to hear music legally. Artists and labels truly go out of their way these days to provide opportunities to hear their work. Streams or mp3s on their site, the label's site, Myspace, official Youtube channels, Last FM, etc, etc, etc. The idea that we can't get enough "samples' to know in advance if you want to purchase something seems selfish and a bit silly to me. If specific reasoning NEVER applies in any other industry, why do people think it's relevant or justified in entertainment?

I stepped back, because I don't want to get too long winded, as I always seem to with this kind of stuff. For me, it just comes down to a respect of someone's work. I think we'd all revolt if our respective employers came to us and said "We've decided to hold your check this week until we see if we end up liking the work you did. It may take us numerous times of trying out the project you were doing before we decide if we'll pay you for it or not. It may even take months to know. Actually, we may just end up using your work for ever, and entirely forget to getting around to paying you for it."

Yet we (I say "we" loosely, and any and everyone on here who knows me knows that I am ridiculously anal about buying albums, or only downloading things legally) do that to the industry and artists we're supposedly fans of every time a leak is downloaded, a full album is stolen, etc.

There are soooo many ways to hear music legally. Artists and labels truly go out of their way these days to provide opportunities to hear their work. Streams or mp3s on their site, the label's site, Myspace, official Youtube channels, Last FM, etc, etc, etc. The idea that we can't get enough "samples' to know in advance if you want to purchase something seems selfish and a bit silly to me. If specific reasoning NEVER applies in any other industry, why do people think it's relevant or justified in entertainment?

I'm married, so I see what you did there. And what you did was NOT answer my questions.

To answer your first question: No.

To answer your second question: Trickier. In general, I do not have a problem with it, in that the physical copy will eventually go back to the owner, and the person that borrowed cannot own it and forget to pay for it. When you download an album illegally, you might indeed love it, then either opt to still not pay, or, you might mean to pay and honestly forget to do so.

My main issue is with downloading music illegally and never paying for it....after that, there are degrees and shades of grey.

I didn't even know you asked a question, get over yourself Marrried McGee.

OJ&Nicole.jpg

Don't think I won't, bitch.

You're going to murder your wife?

Also, when I used an extra "r", it was to show that you are extra married. Yeah...that's it.

Scumbo, do you like how I used "u2popmofo" when I got all serious in this thread?

Alert:

There will be chainsawing going on today, at various points.

Haha, I appreciate your professional tone. Except you already called me scumbo, so the fantasy is over.

I'm glad to hear of the chainsawing, as it helps confirm my sig. I'll be on playing as well. I've been putting off going to the gym for the last 2 hours, so I'll be doing that at some point, but chainsawing after that. I already have the sig idea for tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom