Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one who feels the EP really doesn't stand up to their album? I mean Mykonos is amazing but the rest of it doesn't come close to the album...

In a slightly related note, looks like the band's gonna have a UK hit single, Mykonos has gone up to number 16 on the airplay charts there

Am I the only one who feels the EP really doesn't stand up to their album? I mean Mykonos is amazing but the rest of it doesn't come close to the album...

In a slightly related note, looks like the band's gonna have a UK hit single, Mykonos has gone up to number 16 on the airplay charts there

I agree. I think 2-4 on the EP are good, but don't care for Innocent Son or Sun Giant. The album, to me, slays the EP.

I was unbelievably disappointed in the album for the first month or two after it was out because of how much I liked the EP.

To some extent, it may just come down to what you heard first. The EP came out 4 months before the album, so I was hoping for songs more in line with the EP. I still think the album would have been better had their been more like the EP, but oh wellz. Drops in the River, English House, and Mykonos are still as good, if not better, than all of the top songs on the full album and Sun Giant is one of their best songs to hear live. I do agree that the last track on the EP is filler.

I feel the same way. While I enjoy the EP, the cohesion of the LP makes it the stronger listen in my opinion. Tracks like "Sun Giant" are excellent, yet I would still place four or five songs from the LP above anything from the EP.

I was unbelievably disappointed in the album for the first month or two after it was out because of how much I liked the EP.

To some extent, it may just come down to what you heard first. The EP came out 4 months before the album, so I was hoping for songs more in line with the EP. I still think the album would have been better had their been more like the EP, but oh wellz. Drops in the River, English House, and Mykonos are still as good, if not better, than all of the top songs on the full album...

I completely agree. I found The Sun Giant EP to be immediately more engaging and varied than the LP. After my first few listens of the full length album -outside of White Winter Hymnal- I thought the LP was fairly listless and limited in range. Now, I appreciate the LPs subtlety more, but I wish it contained more of Sun Giant's energy. I'm starting to think that the EP benefited from its necessarily short length, which made it more punchy and potent... in comparison to the purposefully slow-burning, hour long jaunt through Appalachia and the Pacific Northwest.

The LP is Sun Giant's ugly friend at the bar. In the end, you'll probably have a more fulfilling relationship with the LP, but that reasoning won't keep you from staring at Sun Giant's Ragged Wood all night long.

The LP is Sun Giant's ugly friend at the bar. In the end, you'll probably have a more fulfilling relationship with the LP, but that reasoning won't keep you from staring at Sun Giant's Ragged Wood all night long.

I have a great deal of experience in that sort of staring, friend of friends. Bum Giant, I am Your Bro-tector.

I wanted to remind everyone that they're on Saturday Night Live tonight.

Also, it's good to see Gary around here. Not Ace though. Never Ace.

I'm just now about to get the first song. SNL started an hour and a half late tonight due to some Texas telethon.

:up: to being sick, stuck at home, and trudging through SNL for the Foxes while all your friends are out at a bar.

Oh wow, "Mykonos" first. Lovely.

Edit: That was bad ass. I'm so glad I got in on the ground floor with these guys, seeing them in a tiny club for eight dollars. They're going to be absolutely huge in a few years.

Yeah, that was quite enjoyable. A couple of observations: (1) I am concerned that there might be something living in the back of the lead singer's hair, and (2) I bet they have good weed.

These guys fucking killed SNL tonight, it was beautiful, one of the better performances I've seen on that show in a long time. "Mykonos" is one hell of a great song, and is stuck in my head as I type. They're a truly talented group and I wish them the best of luck in the future. May their beards and their music stay strong.

Blue Ridge Mountains.

I also have failed to mention that the lead singer looks a hell of a lot like Chicago Bears quarterback Kyle Orton.

I also have failed to mention that the lead singer looks a hell of a lot like Chicago Bears quarterback Kyle Orton.

Wow, I never noticed that but I'm inclined to agree. Robin also posts on atease from time to time. Got a guy there on the list for one of their shows over the summer. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy, which just makes me like the band even more.

And it looks like we're about to witness a Scumbogasm.

No, there's an alternate version of it available on some special edition of the album. Along with a song called "Isles" which I have yet to listen to.

The alternate "Mykynos" sucks.

Found it on a blog, it's labeled as an "album club exclusive EP" in my iTunes, but I can't find anything on the EP. eMusic apparently does "Album Club Exlusives", but they have no Fleet Foxes when I just looked. I dont-a-know. Anywayz, it's pretty obviously a demo-ed version they scrapped.

I just noticed I have a Daytrotter Session from Fleet Foxes on my computer after listening to the Alternate Version. Sweet.

To be honest, it's not THAT drastically different other than substituting guitars for piano. It's pretty much exactly what you expect for a demo. :shrug:

Not at all. I'm another one who prefers the EP, if I had to choose between the two.

Speaking of the EP, I was checking out that bonus disc from the special edition released in Europe, I believe. The first three songs are the same, but then it has an alternate version of Mykonos that was cool to hear (although the original is better), and a completely different song called Isles which I really liked. Too bad it wasn't on the original EP.

Let's see, I first posted this back in October on Page 8 of this thread. I'm glad you were all paying attention.

:wink:

Well the new version is becoming their first hit single in the UK, and is getting massive radio play

Can we call them sell outs now? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom