Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been listening to it all day, and it continues to sort of insinuate its way into my very being.

If Tourist, Elfa and I all agree, then you know it's the real deal.

Been listening to it all day, and it continues to sort of insinuate its way into my very being.

If Tourist, Elfa and I all agree, then you know it's the real deal.

Then again, I like Sam's Town, so I suppose that's one strike against my opinion. :shrug:

I just bought the EP, will listen soon.

This album continues to grow on me. I pretty much fucking love it now. Albums that keep growing on you are so great to experience.

The EP is better, fucker.

BROTHA YOU DON'T NEED TO TURN ME AWAY

This is one of the VERY few albums that came out this year and I heard and LOVED immediately. Didn't even need a 2nd go at it, and that's a wonderful thing.

I hadn't really heard much of them other than the mentions here, but I went for the album anyway. I'm digging it.

EP next?

Saw Fleet Foxes yesterday. It was a good but strangely unexciting gig. I could find no fault with the band's playing, which was in fact near-perfect; all the gorgeous harmonies were done incredibly well and the lead vocals were some of the best I've heard live. Yet somehow to me it just didn't amount to more than hearing the songs faithfully reproduced onstage, :shrug: Maybe it was the sluggish crowd, maybe it was the lack of charisma from the band who seem like nice guys but are rather dull performers.

Saw Fleet Foxes yesterday. It was a good but strangely unexciting gig. I could find no fault with the band's playing, which was in fact near-perfect; all the gorgeous harmonies were done incredibly well and the lead vocals were some of the best I've heard live. Yet somehow to me it just didn't amount to more than hearing the songs faithfully reproduced onstage, :shrug: Maybe it was the sluggish crowd, maybe it was the lack of charisma from the band who seem like nice guys but are rather dull performers.

I've seen some Youtube clips, and while that's obviously not the same as attending, I certainly can see what you're talking about. Everything sounds as gorgeous as can be, but, there's no real presence or charisma there. I'm not saying that's the be all end all, but it's certainly a contributing factor when evaluating a performer's quality.

I am kind of sick of going to stores looking for the EP only to end up thumbing through thousands of Fleetwood Mac CDs hoping to find the EP misfiled. :grumpy:

Everything sounds as gorgeous as can be, but, there's no real presence or charisma there. I'm not saying that's the be all end all, but it's certainly a contributing factor when evaluating a performer's quality.

Totally. Plus I've probably been spoiled by the incredible performers I've seen over the years - some of which managed to compensate for less-than-polished playing by the sheer presence and energy.

Totally. Plus I've probably been spoiled by the incredible performers I've seen over the years - some of which managed to compensate for less-than-polished playing by the sheer presence and energy.

I'm sure if I looked around, I'd find posts by you on this topic in various threads, but instead, I'll ask:

Which bands/performers have you seen in recent years who performed at levels above your expectations?

Saracene, I am of the opinion that it was either an off night or because of the crowd as you mentioned, as they were beyond stellar the night I saw them. Who knows, maybe that was an out of the ordinary "on" night, but it was so good that it's hard for me to believe that they don't usually really deliver live.

Joyful, I recently found the EP for a friend at a Best Buy as well (probably the same one UiU got his at!). If yours doesn't have it, they could probably order it in pretty easily. Best Buy only charges $5 for it, so it's probably worth going through them if possible.

Joyful, I recently found the EP for a friend at a Best Buy as well (probably the same one UiU got his at!). If yours doesn't have it, they could probably order it in pretty easily. Best Buy only charges $5 for it, so it's probably worth going through them if possible.

I looked at BB yesterday. :grumpy: And I've checked both Borders in town. I can probably pick it up in Abq this weekend.

The state of CD availability in this town is sadder than sad.

I'm sure if I looked around, I'd find posts by you on this topic in various threads, but instead, I'll ask:

Which bands/performers have you seen in recent years who performed at levels above your expectations?

You mean, not necessarily the best gigs (though some of the listed below were), but the ones which were a level above my expectations? Because for instance I thought PJ Harvey's show last year was absolutely magnificent but then I have sky-high expectations for her in the first place.

Just off the top of my head, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Tori Amos, John Butler Trio, Kaiser Chiefs, Emiliana Torrini, Kasey Chambers, Rage Against the Machine, Muse, Lily Allen, Elbow, Goldfrapp, Radiohead.

Saracene, I am of the opinion that it was either an off night or because of the crowd as you mentioned, as they were beyond stellar the night I saw them. Who knows, maybe that was an out of the ordinary "on" night, but it was so good that it's hard for me to believe that they don't usually really deliver live.

I don't know, I didn't feel like there was anything "off" about the band's performance as such; as I've mentioned before they were near-perfect. And they seemed to be really into it so it's not like I thought they were on an autopilot or didn't really want to be there. I just didn't get any sense of presence from them, which is perhaps something that different people see/sense differently. I mean, by popular consensus Cary Grant is one of greatest, most charismatic movie stars ever - whereas I find him as dull as a wooden plank.

You mean, not necessarily the best gigs (though some of the listed below were), but the ones which were a level above my expectations? Because for instance I thought PJ Harvey's show last year was absolutely magnificent but then I have sky-high expectations for her in the first place.

Just off the top of my head, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Tori Amos, John Butler Trio, Kaiser Chiefs, Emiliana Torrini, Kasey Chambers, Rage Against the Machine, Muse, Lily Allen, Elbow, Goldfrapp, Radiohead.

That's what I meant.

And, interestingly, I saw 4 of those acts in 2008, and all 4 exceeded my expectations:

Radiohead, Elbow (who I expected a lot from, but not anything magical), Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and, most emphatically, Rage Against the Machine, who kicked me in the spine, ass and teeth at Lollapalooza. Muse, too, would be on my list, but that was 2007.

Thanks for answering!

I am kind of sick of going to stores looking for the EP only to end up thumbing through thousands of Fleetwood Mac CDs hoping to find the EP misfiled. :grumpy:

can u not order from their website? who is their record label in the uk?

They'll follow Taylor Swift, this week's musical guest, who (hey!) is also on an indie and who also made a really, really great album in 2008.

Wow, look at the Pitchfork with a big up for my girl Tay Swift. Light it up. That shit is the hotness. I love Pitchfork now.

Damn, I was thinking FF was on SNL tonight! I dont want to wait another week!!!

Back
Top Bottom