Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. They clearly don't give a rats ass about music. That's why they write what they write. It's all practice for telling off the girlfriends they'll never have. Their reviews are all an effort to out do one another in the "shit on" factor.

They don't even listen to half the shit they review. They just write the insults to write the insults.

Pitchfork are jerk-offs who like writing about music personalities for free.

I can identify with this kind of sentiment, because it's so easy to hate the Vice magazine, indie snob crowd.

However, some of these people are VERY good, very witty writers. They also know their shit. When they say something sounds like this band crossed with this band, etc. it's usually pretty spot on. And I thought IYS and myself made it clear that we don't read the site for the snarky negative reviews, it's for the positive ones that have the potential to turn you on to something great.

And like IYS said, they DO care about music, sometimes too much. To imply that they are writing this stuff for other reasons...that baffles me. People who are only looking for girls START bands, they don't write about them.

You are so far off the mark it's ridiculous. I'd love for you to reprint a couple reviews here yourself and breakdown for us whatever the fuck it is you're talking about.

Or you could just go back into the bitter hole you came out of.

The singer in my band knows them, and knew the singer when he ditched his old band (in an ass-like way) and hired a bunch of "music-pro's" 10-15 years older than him to play music with him. That and they spent a ton of money to work with the producer of The Shins (I believe). Gotta love that well-oiled supergroup cash-machine. :up:

I don't really get any of this argument in regards to them being "sellouts' or a "cash-machine". I could only find 3 ages, Robin is 22, Skye is 22, Wescott is 27, and Tilman is supposedly the youngest and had never toured before until this last year. Robin and Skye were best friends through high school. Looking at pictures, the other guy is probably around my age (high 20's to early 30's).

The band is based in Seattle, signed to a Seattle label (Sub Pop may be big for an indie label, but they're FAR from being a well-oiled cash machine), and were produced by someone in Seattle (Phil Ek produces all sorts of groups from the area and often produces a number of newish local groups he personally likes to try to help them get more exposure: see The Shins as you mentioned, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Sea Wolf, Dios Malos, etc). The band actually ran out of money trying to make the album, hence why it was delayed clear until now, and why they released the Sun Giant EP early this year to make up for the massive delay.

Anyways, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I personally like the Sun Giant EP even more than the album (though it's growing on me more). 'Mykonos' from the EP is one of the best songs I've heard this year so far, I absolutely love it.

Shouter, and anyone else - I'd recommend these tracks to try to get into them:
Mykonos
White Winter Hymnal
English House
Your Protector
He Doesn't Know Why
Ragged Wood

And I agree with Shout/Laz's opinions on Pitchfork and any and every other music review site or magazine in existence. You can't expect any of them to always say exactly what you want to hear, but they can all be extremely helpful in making decisions about what stuff to check out. They can frequently give interesting insight into bands you love as well. And the idea that Pitchfork hates music is unbelievably ridiculous. Even leaving the reviews out of it, the amount of awesome videos, links, and news they post daily more than proves this wrong.

I actually rely more on people like Laz, U2popmofo, IYS, and many others for new music than actual music review sites. I have wandered over to Pitchfork before, and, while some of the writing is a little too snarky for me (That's not exclusive to them, though...it seems that almost everyone born between 1970 and 1994 knows of no other way to write, at least on the interwebz) I find it sort of funny to accuse them of not loving music. Maybe they just do not love the music you love, Veber?

Anyway, interference is littered with plenty of fools and ultra-bland types, but, the common love of music around here ensures that I constantly get exposed to bands I'd not have heard of on my own, and for that I'm thankful.

So, yeah, I gave these guys a listen.

I like.

I hear a lot of other bands in their sound. The singer reminds of Jim James from My Morning Jacket at times, as does the band altogether. I hear some Arcade Fire touches...maybe? maybe not? maybe I'm going crazy.

Not bad stuff, though.

Oops my bad, U2popmofo, I totally didn't see that you had posted that earlier.

It was the first thing I thought when I heard them...that their singer sounds like Jim James.

I think I prefer Jim James, though, to be honest.

I've listened to the album yesterday. Good stuff, very pretty with enough quirk to keep it interesting. I like the feeling of space in their music - some songs make me feel like I'm in some vast hall listening to the band sing. And the MMJ comparison is spot on, :)

A very pleasant record, something you'd like to listen to while taking in the scenery outside or something. It's just got that kind of vibe to it.

That said, it's not the type of album that would get repeated listenings from me. I'd have to be in the right mood to listen to this again, and who knows when that will be.

I really like the record. I'd like to check out the EP.

And not to Pitchfork a dead horse, but I agree with mofo & Laz. I find their reviews irritating even when I agree with them, and they've completely bashed some of my favorite records in the whole world, yet I still have been turned on to some great music through that site. Tons of great free downloads and information.

Queeeeeeeeeeeestion:

Has White Winter Hymnal been featured in a movie/advertisement/TV show or something to that effect? I know I've heard this song before and I can't quite place it.

Am I making this up? :mad:

i just can't like this album. i listened to it all the way through for the 5th time now. i don't hate it by any means, but i just don't see what's so great about it. some people are even calling it one of the best albums of this decade?:|

i just can't like this album. i listened to it all the way through for the 5th time now. i don't hate it by any means, but i just don't see what's so great about it. some people are even calling it one of the best albums of this decade?:|

:up:

Oh, right. The show was very good, if not a little too loud. This shitty broad and I moved from 8th row center towards 30th row center midway through for better sound quality. It paid off. Go see them when they come through your town. :up:

Maybe a ZC thread will pop up soon on why the broad is shitty.

I saw them at the pitchfork music festival, they were brilliant, maybe even the best act of the entire festival.

Back
Top Bottom