Fleet Foxes - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #271
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Haha, I appreciate your professional tone. Except you already called me scumbo, so the fantasy is over.

I'm glad to hear of the chainsawing, as it helps confirm my sig. I'll be on playing as well. I've been putting off going to the gym for the last 2 hours, so I'll be doing that at some point, but chainsawing after that. I already have the sig idea for tomorrow.
The changing sig is wonderful.

I am going to watch Lost and BSG, neither of which I watched last night, then likely will be on......

Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
To answer your first question: No.

To answer your second question: Trickier. In general, I do not have a problem with it, in that the physical copy will eventually go back to the owner, and the person that borrowed cannot own it and forget to pay for it. When you download an album illegally, you might indeed love it, then either opt to still not pay, or, you might mean to pay and honestly forget to do so.

My main issue is with downloading music illegally and never paying for it....after that, there are degrees and shades of grey.
I agree. The only album on either my computer or iPod that I do not own is Andrew Bird's Useless Creatures and that is only because the store that I bought Noble Beast at didn't have the set. I'm trying to find some place that will sell it to me individually, but have not found it as of yet.

I understand Scumbo's stance on stealing and I whole heartedly agree, but I feel that he has lost the thread in this argument. You're fighting the symptom instead of the problem. The problem is not illegal downloading in and of itself. I'm sure no artist (especially indie bands) has a problem with people checking out their music - whether through mixed tapes (80's bitches), borrowing CDs or through illegal downloads. Either way, their music is receiving a wider listening audience. That's a good thing. Scumbo is right in that it makes no sense that people actually steal music.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You're going to murder your wife?

Also, when I used an extra "r", it was to show that you are extra married. Yeah...that's it.
No, I'm going to KNIFE CRIME you and get away with it.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #274
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
No, I'm going to KNIFE CRIME you and get away with it.
But then you'll go to jail for stealing precious sports memorabilia.

Karma Police have done their duty.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But then you'll go to jail for stealing precious sports memorabilia.

Karma Police have done their duty.
They will never take me.

YouTube - Last Boy Scout: Opening scene
Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I know this is left over from yesterday and I should just let it be, but I just needed to say that any argument so far is made null-and-void to me by this post in the GOYB leak thread: "Get On Your Boots" E-mail Request Thread... . There's a high horse somewhere living in a glass stable. Nothing against you personally, just sayin'.

Dalton hit the nail on the head. Stealing is ultimately wrong. If you ultimately pay for what you like and listen to, there's no problem. (It's entertainment--sucks for the field, but that's how it works. You can even get your money back at a movie theater if you tell them the movie sucked. My brother's theater gave back a fortune for 'Eyes Wide Shut.') The issue is that there's no way to tell who ends up paying for stuff or if people really get rid of stuff they don't listen to, and that they don't spread it around. That's the reason why the industry suddenly cares now and didn't when people were copying cassette tapes. It had nothing to do with the age of the people doing the copying, how much money they had, or if they were old enough to think it was wrong. It has everything to do with the fact that one copied cassette tape couldn't spread to a thousand people at the click of a button. It's the ease of availabilty & spread that has made the initial act itself suddenly wrong.

In the end, I got exposed to a new band yesterday. And if anyone cynically doubts that I'll ever buy the real $10 album, then perhaps one can take some solace in thinking about how that exposure will lead to me spending $50 on a concert ticket or $30 on a tshirt. If that doesn't help, oh well.

But again, it just really sucks to be hammered by people who partake in similar activities in some shape or form.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #277
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
I know this is left over from yesterday and I should just let it be, but I just needed to say that any argument so far is made null-and-void to me by this post in the GOYB leak thread: "Get On Your Boots" E-mail Request Thread... . There's a high horse somewhere living in a glass stable. Nothing against you personally, just sayin'.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #278
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

A b-side from a single that may not get released in the US? That's reaching a bit, isn't it?

He also said that he's gonna buy the single anyway, too... $12 for 2 tracks.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #279
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:

Dalton hit the nail on the head. Stealing is ultimately wrong. If you ultimately pay for what you like and listen to, there's no problem. (It's entertainment--sucks for the field, but that's how it works. You can even get your money back at a movie theater if you tell them the movie sucked. My brother's theater gave back a fortune for 'Eyes Wide Shut.') The issue is that there's no way to tell who ends up paying for stuff or if people really get rid of stuff they don't listen to, and that they don't spread it around. That's the reason why the industry suddenly cares now and didn't when people were copying cassette tapes. It had nothing to do with the age of the people doing the copying, how much money they had, or if they were old enough to think it was wrong. It has everything to do with the fact that one copied cassette tape couldn't spread to a thousand people at the click of a button. It's the ease of availabilty & spread that has made the initial act itself suddenly wrong.

In the end, I got exposed to a new band yesterday. And if anyone cynically doubts that I'll ever buy the real $10 album, then perhaps one can take some solace in thinking about how that exposure will lead to me spending $50 on a concert ticket or $30 on a tshirt. If that doesn't help, oh well.

But again, it just really sucks to be hammered by people who partake in similar activities in some shape or form.
He was not being serious at all, you know. I recall him ranting multiple times about how sick that thread made him because "people who love this band couldn't put down $0.99 for one song."
Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #280
Refugee

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Fleet Foxes - what a band!

Great debut and Mykonos is one of the best songs ever!
Listened to it 20 times today

Very special band
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #281
The Male

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Well, Americans have to do something right once in a while.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #282
Refugee

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Well, Americans have to do something right once in a while.
once in a while is ok - say every 30 years!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #283
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:

You've gotta be joking, it was a rip from the first play of one song on a fucking radio show. IE, the shittiest quality ever. Seriously, you are grasping for straws, and I know you're smart enough to know the difference between listening to one song that was played on the radio and stealing a CD quality rip of an entire album. And if you want to get really technical, I deleted the email the second I received it, as I had already purchased the song on iTunes.

To get even more technical, I've purchased the physical single as well, and it's presently on the way from another continent as I had import it.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #284
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Well, radio rips are illegal enough to force the mods on here to disallow posting links to them, so I'd say Utoo still has a valid point. Besides, I don't really see in the original post of that thread that it was going to be a radio rip that would be distributed.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 PM
At the time, we had no knowledge that there would be a stream or the availability on iTunes.

Tags
fleet foxes