Fleet Foxes - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Am I the only one who feels the EP really doesn't stand up to their album? I mean Mykonos is amazing but the rest of it doesn't come close to the album...

In a slightly related note, looks like the band's gonna have a UK hit single, Mykonos has gone up to number 16 on the airplay charts there

Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
I know some feel the same as you. I prefer the EP.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Am I the only one who feels the EP really doesn't stand up to their album? I mean Mykonos is amazing but the rest of it doesn't come close to the album...

In a slightly related note, looks like the band's gonna have a UK hit single, Mykonos has gone up to number 16 on the airplay charts there
I agree. I think 2-4 on the EP are good, but don't care for Innocent Son or Sun Giant. The album, to me, slays the EP.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #184
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
I was unbelievably disappointed in the album for the first month or two after it was out because of how much I liked the EP.

To some extent, it may just come down to what you heard first. The EP came out 4 months before the album, so I was hoping for songs more in line with the EP. I still think the album would have been better had their been more like the EP, but oh wellz. Drops in the River, English House, and Mykonos are still as good, if not better, than all of the top songs on the full album and Sun Giant is one of their best songs to hear live. I do agree that the last track on the EP is filler.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #185
Refugee

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
I feel the same way. While I enjoy the EP, the cohesion of the LP makes it the stronger listen in my opinion. Tracks like "Sun Giant" are excellent, yet I would still place four or five songs from the LP above anything from the EP.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:36 AM
I like both, but definitely think that the LP is the better listening experience.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #187
The Fly

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I was unbelievably disappointed in the album for the first month or two after it was out because of how much I liked the EP.

To some extent, it may just come down to what you heard first. The EP came out 4 months before the album, so I was hoping for songs more in line with the EP. I still think the album would have been better had their been more like the EP, but oh wellz. Drops in the River, English House, and Mykonos are still as good, if not better, than all of the top songs on the full album...
I completely agree. I found The Sun Giant EP to be immediately more engaging and varied than the LP. After my first few listens of the full length album -outside of White Winter Hymnal- I thought the LP was fairly listless and limited in range. Now, I appreciate the LPs subtlety more, but I wish it contained more of Sun Giant's energy. I'm starting to think that the EP benefited from its necessarily short length, which made it more punchy and potent... in comparison to the purposefully slow-burning, hour long jaunt through Appalachia and the Pacific Northwest.

The LP is Sun Giant's ugly friend at the bar. In the end, you'll probably have a more fulfilling relationship with the LP, but that reasoning won't keep you from staring at Sun Giant's Ragged Wood all night long.
GARY#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #188
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY#2 View Post

The LP is Sun Giant's ugly friend at the bar. In the end, you'll probably have a more fulfilling relationship with the LP, but that reasoning won't keep you from staring at Sun Giant's Ragged Wood all night long.
I have a great deal of experience in that sort of staring, friend of friends. Bum Giant, I am Your Bro-tector.
Ace#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #189
Blue Meth Addict

I wanted to remind everyone that they're on Saturday Night Live tonight.

Also, it's good to see Gary around here. Not Ace though. Never Ace.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Suffering through the show waiting for song #2.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 AM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:36 AM
I'm just now about to get the first song. SNL started an hour and a half late tonight due to some Texas telethon.

to being sick, stuck at home, and trudging through SNL for the Foxes while all your friends are out at a bar.

Oh wow, "Mykonos" first. Lovely.

Edit: That was bad ass. I'm so glad I got in on the ground floor with these guys, seeing them in a tiny club for eight dollars. They're going to be absolutely huge in a few years.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #192
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that was quite enjoyable. A couple of observations: (1) I am concerned that there might be something living in the back of the lead singer's hair, and (2) I bet they have good weed.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

These guys fucking killed SNL tonight, it was beautiful, one of the better performances I've seen on that show in a long time. "Mykonos" is one hell of a great song, and is stuck in my head as I type. They're a truly talented group and I wish them the best of luck in the future. May their beards and their music stay strong.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #194
New Yorker

Damn I missed it

What other song did they play?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

Blue Ridge Mountains.

I also have failed to mention that the lead singer looks a hell of a lot like Chicago Bears quarterback Kyle Orton.

Tags
fleet foxes