Five songs to introduce your taste in music to somebody else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump

ONE love, blood, life
I saw this on Twitter today, and I think it's a great (and impossible) question:

[TWEET]1109593770650189825[/TWEET]

If you had to introduce someone to your taste in music, what are the first 5 songs you’d play them?

I'll give it a shot:

Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever
Al Green – Let’s Get It On
Bill Evans – Waltz for Debby
Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place
David Bowie - Sound and Vision

There are still so many aspects of my music tastes that I couldn't address, though. No women, to start with. Tons of genres missing, etc. But I think somebody will learn a little bit about my tastes with this list.

This is tough because I don’t want to think about it too much. These are my answers today, but I don’t know that they’d be me answers in a month.

The Beatles - If I Needed Someone
Post Animal - When I Get Home
U2 - Bad
The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
The National - Pink Rabbits

Off the top of my head:

U2 - The Fly
Radiohead - The National Anthem
St. Vincent - Cruel
David Bowie - Beauty and the Beast
Julien Baker - Claws In Your Back

I think that gives a nice spread of my interests.

Great topic!!!

U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
OutKast - Da Art of Storytellin, pt. 1
Bat for Lashes - Laura
Ben Pearce - What I Might Do
Nina Simone - Stars (Live at Montreux)

Giving a good spread of my interests (classic, anthemic rock, contemplative hip-hop, house, soul, powerful balladry) and I'm always going to try to include women in this stuff from now on.

Funnily enough I've been thinking about this as my girlfriend is extremely unfamiliar with my sort of music and my brain has been going into playlist mode lately.

It's a challenge to always keep in mind that the songs I think are "best" reflect an accumulation of years of listening to various genres and scenes, and that they are not necessarily the ideal gateway or introduction.

Hmmm. Well, I could throw out a few but they are representative of this week/month/quarter only. And five? Jesus. Well, if it's gotta be five, it's gotta be five. Tough shit if someone worthy misses out.

Iggy Pop - Turn Blue
Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
David Bowie - Sweet Thing
Van Morrison - And The Healing Has Begun
Midnight Oil - Progress

Probably not a bad summation of where my head is at, although it gives the erroneous impression that I don't listen to any artists who happen to be a. working post-1980, b. women or c. outside the mainline rock and roll wheelhouse. Oh well.

Last edited:
I'll just jump all over the place. Some of these wouldn't even rank among my top songs ever but I'm trying to cover as much ground as possible:

Big Star - September Gurls (power pop)
Outkast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious (hip hop, funk, soul)
Laura Nyro - Blackpatch (singer/songwriter, soul)
Neil Young - The Loner (classic rock, folk rock)
Beach Boys - Surf's Up (psychedelic pop, progressive pop)

If you like all of those songs, I think we'll have a lot in common.

Last edited:
As much as I love The Beatles, I'm not sure that picking anything by them really tells someone much about your taste in music, unless it's like Revolution 9. Because in some sense you're trying to illustrate what sets you apart from the norm?

For myself, I'd definitely need to cover my love for indie rock (particularly from the 90s), some kind of classic rock, maybe something from 80s new wave that was very formative, and definitely a female-fronted band or female artist as they make up a big part of my collection. And something that covers the widest range of African-American contributions to music (none of which on their own dominate my listening habits), which would certainly be Prince.

As much as I love U2, what does including one of their songs say about my actual taste other than saying I enjoy one of the biggest bands in history? By listing some deep cut, is it saying something more specific? Like yes, I listen to some popular artists, but in a more obsessive, comprehensive fashion? Do I have to do this with more than one artist to make the same point?

I also love a good guitar solo, in almost every kind of music, so that's something I'd probably look out for.

Will have to contemplate this further.

Yeah its tricky. I could list my favorite song by 5 of my favorite artists, but that would probably just showcase my top end likes and not be as true a representation of overall taste as listing some more varied other stuff kind of like LeMel did.

On a limb with no more than 5 minutes thought, I can't have it as anything other than all over the shop, honestly:

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Underworld - Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream of Love
Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona
Stereolab - Analogue Rock
Something For Kate - Happy Endings

As much as I love The Beatles, I'm not sure that picking anything by them really tells someone much about your taste in music, unless it's like Revolution 9. Because in some sense you're trying to illustrate what sets you apart from the norm?

I thought about that too, and same for Radiohead. But ultimately I think it's meaningful information: for bands with a huge discography spanning different genres, I think it's meaningful information that I picked SFF instead of, say, Love You To or Hey Jude. Same for picking the opening track for Kid A versus Fake Plastic Trees or Let Down.

That said, I already dislike the list I've made and will likely come back soon with a revision.

Wow this is really difficult. But I think I would go with:

David Bowie: Always Crashing in the Same Car
Miles Davis: Masqualero
Radiohead: Nude
The Smiths: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Sufjan Stevens: All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands

Just looking to cover the main genres I listen to...

U2 - Zooropa
Sigur Rós - Varuð
Run the Jewels - Oh My Darling Don't Cry
Karol G - Mi Cama
Stars of the Lid - Dopamine Clouds Over Craven Cottage

Zooropa is to show that I like popular bands, especially when they get a little weird
Varuð shows that I love sad music that also rocks the fuck out
RTJ shows my love of hip hop, rap, excellent production, etc
Karol G is for my love of reggaeton and women artists
Stars of the Lid represents the ridiculous amount of ambient music I listen to

Notably missing
-women like Tori Amos and Lana Del Rey, whose music is super important to me but doesn't represent entire swaths of my musical tastes
-the entire trance genre and its sub-genres

Last edited:
Midnight Oil - Only the Strong
Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E.
The Naked and Famous - Hearts Like Ours
Aphex Twin - Aisatsana
Carly Rae Jepsen - Let's Get Lost

I'm really noticing of late how much women are overlooked in music. It's not a conscious thing, but the majority of the songs in this thread are by men as are the answers to the original tweet.

U2 - Unknown Caller
U2 - Red Light
U2 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
U2 - Big Girls Are Best
U2 - American Soul

giphy.gif

I'm going to question this immediately after posting, but fuck it:

(in chronological order)

1. Bob Dylan, Visions of Johanna (1966)

Believe it or not, this wasn't a lock. I went back and forth between Dylan and Joni, wondering not which made my tastes look more unique, but who could also stand-in for other contenders. By including Dylan's distinct poetic and impressionistic words and atypical vocal delivery, I do manage to pick up some Joni's merits (along with other vaulted singer-songwriters) and Dylan also represents an appreciation for at least some sector of classic rock. It's not a totally deep cut, but also not a "single" or one that is well known outside people who at least are familiar with Dylan's work; identifying myself as a "beyond the hits" Dylan fan will for some people reveal a certain level of music nerd status, even if they don't know how steeped I am in "Dylanology". Last, by including Dylan, it seemed slightly unnecessary to also list a couple of my other favorite artists, Pavement and Steely Dan, mainly for the intelligence, humor, and defiant snarl of the lyrics and their delivery. With so many songs to choose from, this took some time and might not be the best option, but I wanted something prettier and longer, while still containing a good melody and personality/not overly serious.

2. New Order, Temptation (1987 version)

Listing this right after Dylan is a pretty big 180, which tells whoever is listening to the tracks I have some variety. It was important for me to choose a song that had a big electronic presence, but still contained guitar elements, in order to fully cover the New Wave of the 80s. New Order represents not only my appreciation for Depeche Mode and The Cure and others of this era, but also the rest of the electronic music I was into the rest of the 80s and early 90s, and one could extrapolate "hey this guy might also be into LCD Soundsystem, Cut Copy, Wild Nothing, Chromatics, etc."

3. Prince, Alphabet St. (1988 album version)

Took me a while to land on this, maybe if I took even longer I'd find something even better. While it probably wouldn't make my Prince Top 10 (tho it would be close), it seems to have a little of everything Prince came to be known for: a distinct groove (though not overly so to falsely advertise myself as a huge funk fan) with a modest but memorable guitar part, some horns peppered in, organ and toy piano sounds in the later sections, female backing vocals including a brief rap, male call-and-response b.vox, sampling, some guitar shredding that's a little low in the mix but enough to dirty it up, and also a catchy melody that illustrates his gifts as a pop songwriter. It's a sonic smorgasbord that manages to avoid sounding overstuffed or directionless. While I hate to try and fit all genres of music dominated by African Americans under the banner of one artist, at heart I'm still a rock and roll fan above all and it's more important to me to show how much variety within that sphere I enjoy more than trying to prove that I'm down with hip hop, soul, funk, or jazz (this song should be at least a step into most of those). I had originally hoped to partially tick off the latter box by listing Steely Dan but it wasn't worth it.

4. Bettie Serveert, Keepsake (1995)

Many candidates for who would represent my beloved "Matador in the 90s" era, and for a while I just assumed that would be Pavement. I wanted something lo-fi, maybe a little druggy. When I decided to drop Joni, I started thinking Liz Phair could pick up that slack of personal, intelligent lyrics, unique guitar tunings, etc. but it was hard to find the right song, and I wanted to make sure that my list in general had more "jammy" or soloing guitar work. This isn't my top song of the Betties in that regard, but Peter Visser does get to shred, it has the right Matador aesthetic, a combination of slow and driving rhythms, and the female vocals of Carol van Dyk, who may not be Joni or Liz in the lyrics department but still has her own odd perspective.

5. Carly Rae Jepsen, Boy Problems (2015)

A big 20 year jump here, but to I need to tell a stranger that I'm into the "return of rock" from the early 2000s? Or that I love Radiohead? This entry could have been a number of other recent pop acts, but there's nothing special about saying I'm another of Rihanna's legion of fans, nor did I opt for the brainy, intersectional Janelle Monae. In a sense, this is here to say, "I can enjoy 'shallow' pop music too if it's done well", and also means I can cover some territory missed by not including Madonna, whom I love. And it's also important to say that however far back or diverse my tastes go, I'm not totally oblivious to current music. CRJ may not be the perfect choice here but she's representative enough, and like Kabigon, I went with one of her deeper cuts (which is my fav on the album anyway).

Last edited:
Really loving the answers so far. Nice to read your reasoning, Laz.

I totally get what you are saying with Carly Rae - if someone tells me they like her, I feel confident enough to assume they like a number of other pop artists. And picking a deeper cut instead of, say, Run Away With Me, tells me that you are not solely in it for the big, danceable singles.

Salt in the Wound: boygenius
Nightshift: Lucy Dacus
Julien Baker: Turn Out the Lights
Fiona Apple: Not About Love
The National: Apartment Story

Sick of it All - A Month of Sundays

Buddy Holly - That’ll be the Day

My Shot from Hamilton

Beyoncé - Crazy in Love

Mark Lind & the Unloved - No One to Cry to

Oasis - Let's all make believe
Peter Bjorn and John - The Chills