FINALLY - Peter Gabriel does something SORTA new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, here we go! Peter Gabriel covering "Book of Love" something completely new that he has never done before! :hyper:
First 'Scratch My Back Double A-Side is out

Peter Gabriel's cover of 'The Book of Love' and Stephin Merritt's of The Magnetic Fields' reciprocal cover of 'Not One Of Us' are released today as a 'Digital 45' on iTunes.
It should be in all iTunes stores, but the method of linking internationally seems to be eluding us at present. We've added a couple of links, but a search elsewhere on 'the book of love / Not one Of Us' should get you there.
Though, it is really cool to finally see what they're doing with the cover the band he's covering is supposed to do in "payment" for him covering one of their songs...that sentence made no sense.

ALSO, tour information, where he will finally be coming back to the United States in places impossible for me to see him :hyper::
Peter Gabriel | Live

Well, I bought it on iTunes, 'cause I had to know. It's....slightly different. Overall, re-recording it was silly. That was a silly thing you did, Mr. Gabriel.

I seriously like almost ALL of Peter Gabriel's songs. But this album just doesn't take of for me.
I do enjoy the Book of Love and the Power of the Heart. But other than those two, it's, I don't know, not grabbing my attention and it seems the other songs are all sounding alike.
I listened two it twice in a row today while cycling home through the snow(perfect situation to listen to a new album i'd say) and I never felt as happy as I feel when I listen to other new albums.
Heck, John Mayers new one two weeks ago sounded way better to me and I don't think he comes close to PG.
I'm pretty disappointed in the album, I hope the live show will be good though seeing as I'm going to Berlin on the 26th :D

I really hope he starts to work on his own songs soon and I'm glad that's what he will do next, like he said on the monthly video.

I'm also eagerly awaiting Brian Eno's version of In Your Eyes. :heart:

He's playing the Hollywood Bowl in May with a 54-piece orchestra. Hubby said tickets started at $75. Um.... no. I've luckily gotten to see Peter several times in the past. It will have to suffice.

It leaked, yes.

Haven't listened myself though. I'm sure I'll get around to it, but I'm not exactly excited for this.

I've heard three tracks so far, they've all been great, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to hear anymore from it though, need to get it all in one sitting. I think I can wait another week.

:hug:

I wonder what other songs (besides the "Scratch My Back" ones) he'll put to task for the orchestra. :hmm: :hyper:

If he does 'The Carpet Crawlers' and I'm not there, I may seriously have to re-evaluate the necessity for the remaining portion of my life. :|

It seems ridiculous that I've been a fan of his for the last 8 years now, and the guy hasn't even put out a new album, let alone gone on tour in the states :(.

I never even realized he might play songs that aren't from Scratch My Back :ohmy:

ETA: 5 years. Me and the maths don't get along so well.

Thanks, Lila. :)

I never even realized he might play songs that aren't from Scratch My Back :ohmy:

I don't know if he will for sure. But I'm assuming even if he played every song off Scratch My Back, that's only about an hour or so. It's hard to believe he would only play for an hour.

I would guess he'll pick some of his songs that are suited to the orchestra. I don't know if he'll play any Genesis stuff, but if the did, I would think 'The Carpet Crawlers' would sound AMAZING.

BTW, I'm going to show my extreme ignorance here: When they say he's playing with a 54-piece orchestra, does that mean only string instruments like violas, violins, chellos and upright basses? Or will there be other instruments like flutes, oboes, clarinets, etc., just not drums or guitars?

He's playing the Hollywood Bowl in May with a 54-piece orchestra.

That would be amazing to see. :up: I agree with Fitz that Peter would play more than just the Scratch My Back songs. Songs that I think would be great with an orchestra are Wallflower, Blood of Eden, The Knife (Genesis), Apocalypse In 9/8 from Supper's Ready (Genesis) and White Shadow. :drool:

Even though my favorite part about Intruder is its drums, I think that song would be terrifically creepy with an orchestra, as long as it kept to a more minimalist bent. Anything too melodramatic would be awful though.

my favorite part about Intruder is its drums.

At the beginning of his second solo tour at the Greek theater, each band member and peter came out of a different section with a single spotlight from the rear of the darkened theater. They slowly made their way down to the stage with only the drums of Intruder playing. That was a nice start :wink:

At the beginning of his second solo tour at the Greek theater, each band member and peter came out of a different section with a single spotlight from the rear of the darkened theater. They slowly made their way down to the stage with only the drums of Intruder playing. That was a nice start :wink:

I believe the rule has already been established that you are not allowed to talk about live Peter Gabriel experiences :grumpy: :)wink: ?) ((That sounds kind of amazing, was the show?))

He's playing the Hollywood Bowl in May with a 54-piece orchestra. Hubby said tickets started at $75. Um.... no. I've luckily gotten to see Peter several times in the past. It will have to suffice.

I looked up tix and there were around $225.00 on ticketmaster. Perhaps that was for tix in the same zipcode as Peter vs. the far back of the Bowl.

The email I got from Peter Gabriel's site, announcing the tour, said: No Guitars. No Drums.

(Perhaps that is no drums other than the orchestral percussion, maybe?)

Thanks, Lila. :)

I don't know if he will for sure. But I'm assuming even if he played every song off Scratch My Back, that's only about an hour or so. It's hard to believe he would only play for an hour.

I would guess he'll pick some of his songs that are suited to the orchestra. I don't know if he'll play any Genesis stuff, but if the did, I would think 'The Carpet Crawlers' would sound AMAZING.

BTW, I'm going to show my extreme ignorance here: When they say he's playing with a 54-piece orchestra, does that mean only string instruments like violas, violins, chellos and upright basses? Or will there be other instruments like flutes, oboes, clarinets, etc., just not drums or guitars?

The Street Spirit cover is strange. When he gets into spoken word mode on a couple of those verses it really reminds me of Shatner's "Common People" cover. And that's not a good thing unless he was going for comedy with this project.

I looked up tix and there were around $225.00 on ticketmaster. Perhaps that was for tix in the same zipcode as Peter vs. the far back of the Bowl.

The cheapest tix I saw on TM were $55 and $65. Add on all the Ticketbastard fees and that's a lot of money to be sitting on benches at the back of the Bowl. :sigh:

I might have to cave at some point though, because this just sounds like too awesome on an event to miss. And he does have my second favorite singing voice on the planet. And I've never seen him in concert before, so . . .

I believe the rule has already been established that you are not allowed to talk about live Peter Gabriel experiences :grumpy: :)wink: ?) ((That sounds kind of amazing, was the show?))

Oops, must've missed that memo :doh: :wink:

Actually, I wish I could remember more of it. Each guy was holding their own spotlight and it was a very eerie effect. Might've been my favorite part of the show.

I've always had a problem with the bald headed bass player.
He bugs me for some reason, so I used to avoid looking in his direction. :lol:

But as Fitz said, Peter's got an amazing and unique voice. It's worth seeing him just to hear him sing.

Before his voice becomes like Roger Daltrey :yikes:

Thanks for bringing that memory back. I knew there was something familiar about that. Good times :)

Oops, sorry bono_212 :silent:

Hardy - Mark said he had tix, probably box seats or something :grumpy:

I love the new album. I've been listening to it a lot, it's fantastic from start to finish.

I'm finally listening to it. Not sure if I'm overjoyed or bored honestly, which isn't really a good thing. It's not his best work, but as a fun side project, I think it's pretty well done.

OK, the banner ads for Scratch My Back are starting to get to me. I'm tempted to buy the album, just so he'll stop staring.

picturev.gif

Back
Top Bottom