FINALLY - Peter Gabriel does something SORTA new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
'Scratch My Back' album release due on January 25th 2010

Peter will release his 'Scratch My Back' album on January 25th 2010 on Virgin Records in the U.K.

To help craft his recording of the album's eclectic array of cult favourites and classic tracks, Peter enlisted former Durutti Column member John Metcalfe as composer/arranger and the expertise of producer Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', Lou Reed's 'Berlin') and engineer, mixer and producer Tchad Blake (Suzanne Vega, Sheryl Crow, Tom Waits).

Peter describes this as a very personal record with twelve songs performed only with orchestral instruments and voice. The album's richly diverse sounds include the sparse romance of Lou Reed's 'The Power of the Heart', the powerful musical journey of Elbow's 'Mirrorbal' and an epic arrangement of Arcade Fire's 'My Body Is A Cage.'

Peter and his collaborators recorded the album at George Martin's Air Lyndhurst Studios and the Real World Temple with further editing and mixing at his own Real Worlds Studios in Wiltshire. The first public hearing of the album came when Peter opened his set at last summer's WOMAD Charlton Park festival with a performance of Paul Simon's 'The Boy In The Bubble.'

The track-list and running order as follows:
Heroes (David Bowie)
The Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon)
Mirrorball (Elbow)
Flume (Bon Iver)
Listening Wind (Talking Heads)
The Power of the Heart (Lou Reed)
My Body is a Cage (Arcade Fire)
The Book of Love (The Magnetic Fields)
I Think it's Going to Rain Today (Randy Newman)
Apres Moi (Regina Spektor)
Philadelphia (Neil Young)
Street Spirit (Radiohead)
He said that he wanted to finish this before he got back to recording I/O. Maybe...MAYBE that album will actually come out someday.

Meanwhile, this is epic. Plus, I'm rather super excited to hear these bands cover Peter Gabriel tracks (wasn't that the deal, they had to cover one of his tracks if he covered theirs?)

EDIT: I just noticed "The Book of Love" is one of the covers. I call bullshit, Mr. Gabriel. You are a tricky little devil. Even if it's a re-recording, that is just not even right.

Fantastic track listing. If I made a covers album, the artists included wouldn't differ greatly from these...unless Interference requested them.

I expected it on my desk this morning. You lose, Traviud.

Considering he put the kabosh on a Lamb tour because he couldn't commit a few months to it supposedly due to having too much going on. And in the last couple years since has done nothing but start some website, and now an album of covers? :confused: :madwife:

I'm with Bono212 here and calling bullshit

:down:

Peter Gabriel is incapable of sucking epically. Other members of Genesis, yes, but not him.

All I'm really hoping that when he gets around to I/O it just doesn't suck lmao. Way too much build-up, Mr. Gabriel.

Maybe he'll at least tour the US for this album. Maybe.

The same thing happened when Up came out back in 2002, and we had a ten year wait for that one. While it wasn't as strong as Us, it was still a pretty damn good album. The opening duo of Darkness and Growing Up is fantastic, and I Grieve is phenomenal.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of flaws, most notably the inclusion of the novelty that is The Barry Williams Show, which is horrendous. I have no idea why they put that on there instead of Burn You Up, Burn You Down, which is far superior. Add that track, as well as Animal Nation, and you've got a much stronger record that gives it a more uptempo feel in places and doesn't give you that dragging feeling, which the album as constructed does at times.

I wish I'd seen that tour. The DVD from it is excellent.

Which is what sucks about being a "new" fan. I've been listening to his music for four years and he hasn't released a full new album in that time. While I didn't have to experience the wait for Up just listening to it and Us from a comparison standpoint has me a bit nervous about the quakity of any new original album.

But this, this is not original and these are already great songs so I can't wait to see what he does with them v

The wait for new material has been this way for years.

My first exposure was in 1982 with Shock The Monkey. Being all of 12, I didn't really get into Security at the time, but I loved the song.

Took him four years for So, and then of course I really looked into his stuff and became a fan. Too bad I had to wait another six years for Us.

And no, I'm not counting Birdy or Passion, as beautiful as some of the tracks from those soundtracks are.

I'm excited -- I found PG's version of Boy in the Bubble from this year's WOMAD on YouTube, sounds pretty good.

Any new Peter Gabriel material is welcome.

I can only imagine how many incredible musical ideas he has somewhere in the vault.

Meh - the last album of his that did anything for me was the Us/Secret World Live double header. Um, thus I guess that means I wasn't a huge fan of 'Up' and... oh. OK.

I do love me some Paul Simon so I am happy to hear 'The Boy In The Bubble'...

Back
Top Bottom