FINALLY - Peter Gabriel does something SORTA new - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Fitz & bono_212

Old 02-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks, Lila.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I never even realized he might play songs that aren't from Scratch My Back
I don't know if he will for sure. But I'm assuming even if he played every song off Scratch My Back, that's only about an hour or so. It's hard to believe he would only play for an hour.

I would guess he'll pick some of his songs that are suited to the orchestra. I don't know if he'll play any Genesis stuff, but if the did, I would think 'The Carpet Crawlers' would sound AMAZING.

BTW, I'm going to show my extreme ignorance here: When they say he's playing with a 54-piece orchestra, does that mean only string instruments like violas, violins, chellos and upright basses? Or will there be other instruments like flutes, oboes, clarinets, etc., just not drums or guitars?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
He's playing the Hollywood Bowl in May with a 54-piece orchestra.
That would be amazing to see. I agree with Fitz that Peter would play more than just the Scratch My Back songs. Songs that I think would be great with an orchestra are Wallflower, Blood of Eden, The Knife (Genesis), Apocalypse In 9/8 from Supper's Ready (Genesis) and White Shadow.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #49
The Male

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Even though my favorite part about Intruder is its drums, I think that song would be terrifically creepy with an orchestra, as long as it kept to a more minimalist bent. Anything too melodramatic would be awful though.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
my favorite part about Intruder is its drums.

At the beginning of his second solo tour at the Greek theater, each band member and peter came out of a different section with a single spotlight from the rear of the darkened theater. They slowly made their way down to the stage with only the drums of Intruder playing. That was a nice start
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyharhar View Post
At the beginning of his second solo tour at the Greek theater, each band member and peter came out of a different section with a single spotlight from the rear of the darkened theater. They slowly made their way down to the stage with only the drums of Intruder playing. That was a nice start
I believe the rule has already been established that you are not allowed to talk about live Peter Gabriel experiences ( ?) ((That sounds kind of amazing, was the show?))
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
He's playing the Hollywood Bowl in May with a 54-piece orchestra. Hubby said tickets started at $75. Um.... no. I've luckily gotten to see Peter several times in the past. It will have to suffice.
I looked up tix and there were around $225.00 on ticketmaster. Perhaps that was for tix in the same zipcode as Peter vs. the far back of the Bowl.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:01 PM
The email I got from Peter Gabriel's site, announcing the tour, said: No Guitars. No Drums.

(Perhaps that is no drums other than the orchestral percussion, maybe?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
Thanks, Lila.

I don't know if he will for sure. But I'm assuming even if he played every song off Scratch My Back, that's only about an hour or so. It's hard to believe he would only play for an hour.

I would guess he'll pick some of his songs that are suited to the orchestra. I don't know if he'll play any Genesis stuff, but if the did, I would think 'The Carpet Crawlers' would sound AMAZING.

BTW, I'm going to show my extreme ignorance here: When they say he's playing with a 54-piece orchestra, does that mean only string instruments like violas, violins, chellos and upright basses? Or will there be other instruments like flutes, oboes, clarinets, etc., just not drums or guitars?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:01 PM
The Street Spirit cover is strange. When he gets into spoken word mode on a couple of those verses it really reminds me of Shatner's "Common People" cover. And that's not a good thing unless he was going for comedy with this project.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
I looked up tix and there were around $225.00 on ticketmaster. Perhaps that was for tix in the same zipcode as Peter vs. the far back of the Bowl.
The cheapest tix I saw on TM were $55 and $65. Add on all the Ticketbastard fees and that's a lot of money to be sitting on benches at the back of the Bowl.

I might have to cave at some point though, because this just sounds like too awesome on an event to miss. And he does have my second favorite singing voice on the planet. And I've never seen him in concert before, so . . .
Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I believe the rule has already been established that you are not allowed to talk about live Peter Gabriel experiences ( ?) ((That sounds kind of amazing, was the show?))
Oops, must've missed that memo

Actually, I wish I could remember more of it. Each guy was holding their own spotlight and it was a very eerie effect. Might've been my favorite part of the show.

I've always had a problem with the bald headed bass player.
He bugs me for some reason, so I used to avoid looking in his direction.

But as Fitz said, Peter's got an amazing and unique voice. It's worth seeing him just to hear him sing.

Before his voice becomes like Roger Daltrey
Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyharhar View Post
Thanks for bringing that memory back. I knew there was something familiar about that. Good times

Oops, sorry bono_212

Hardy - Mark said he had tix, probably box seats or something
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 06:01 PM
I love the new album. I've been listening to it a lot, it's fantastic from start to finish.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm finally listening to it. Not sure if I'm overjoyed or bored honestly, which isn't really a good thing. It's not his best work, but as a fun side project, I think it's pretty well done.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #60
The Male

OK, the banner ads for Scratch My Back are starting to get to me. I'm tempted to buy the album, just so he'll stop staring.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
peter gabriel, scratch my back