Favourite Moments in Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well I did a bit of search and couldn't find a thread on the topic, but in Random we (by which I mean me) were talking about individual little moments in songs that we really love. It might be a song you don't particularly love, but there might be a 10-second part that you can't get enough of. So if you have something along those lines share it hear. Dreaded Moments in Songs thread is to come in the near future.

Three off the top of my head:

That guitar bit after "cut the kids in half" in the Kid A version of Morning Bell.

From Random - Wilco's Kamera, where the guitar sort of changes in tone, or key, or speed (I'm not musically minded so I don't know how to explain it properly), sounds more upbeat, and continues on from 2:30 until the end, and it just makes the song so much better.

And from Neils bringing up Destroyer's Bay of Pigs - the downtrodden, spacey synth notes in the background of the track, first audible at 5:15

Destroyer - Bay of Pigs - YouTube

After you mentioned Kamera a few of us had a brief follow up about how we could relate to your comments, so it wasn't just you.

Here's one that I like a lot, it's a Replacements with a little guitar flourish (again, let's remember, I have no musical vocabulary) that I adore. It occurs at 2:11 or 2:12 and it's just 2 seconds long or so.....

The Replacements - Alex Chilton - Original Music Video - YouTube

There you have it.

Nice thread.

Damn it, it's at 2:11 and ends at 2:12

That part is every good thing about ridiculous guitar solos.

My top 3 (non U2 related). Obviously to get the full effect and context of the greatness the whole song should be heard for each.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Wet Sand - YouTube

Wet Sand. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Greatness begins around 4:21. The music and more specifically Frusciante's guitar are sublime. Multiple layers of euphoria. A must hear.

RHCP - Don't forget me - YouTube

Don't Forget Me, Red Hot Chili Peppers Live at Slane Castle. Greatness begins around 3:10. Pure euphoria and finish.

pearl jam black live in two legs - YouTube

Black, Pearl Jam Live on 2 Legs. Greatness starts around 4:05. Just listen.

I really like the ending guitar line in saves the day's "at your funeral." I wish the guitarist hadnt botched it a couple years ago when I saw them live.

There are so many, though. I just happen to be listening to that song at the moment.

I have so many of these, I'll try to post them as I hear them, because I can't think of a single one off the top of my head, save these two:

Bell X1 - Velcro - YouTube

@0:50, 1:56 and 2:55 (Each time the pre-chorus starts)
and then @3:51 after the build-up to that point, and then the rest of the song is pretty sublime for me as well.

I love this song a lot is what I'm getting at here.

And then, believe it or not, I'm super, super fond of these excellent drum hits in "Die Young" by Ke$ha. They're...infectiously fun.

Last one for tonight. Here's one of my all time favorite bands. A few fans exist on this site. I fucking worship them. This guitar solo is all about texture and atmosphere, and every single time I hear it it fires up my imagination. I adore it.

2:08 - 2:52

Catherine Wheel - Shallow - YouTube

Definitely a great pick.

Leave Them All Behind is probably my favourite song of all time, and when the guitar comes in at 0:42, oh man, that always gets my blood pumping. The whole intro is fucking incredible, and then the first verse coming in at 2:13-17 with those drum hits, that kills. The other really big moment for me is the final verse and the start of the solo, 5:33-6:25.

Ride "Leave Them All Behind" - YouTube

Speaking of songs with intros that kill me, when the first guitar comes in at 0:19 and the main guitar at 0:53:

Porcupine Tree - Fadeaway (Lyrics In Description) - YouTube

The slide guitar throughout Kare Kare is gorgeous, but it's the bit from 2:41 that really gets me:

Crowded House - Kare Kare - YouTube

And while on the topic of Crowded House, Catherine Wheels was a song I never really rated because the first part ... well, I like it now but I used to think it was boring. Then one day I was listening to it and the second bit just absolutely killed me, from 3:05:

Crowded House - Catherine Wheels - YouTube

It's hard not to post a million songs. I have so many favourite little moments.

Wow, awesome picks people.

That guitar flourish in the Replacements song is great, NSW. Some truly great stuff here, love seeing the tiny things in songs that make us all so happy.

I could pick a million things from Pink Floyd's catalogue, like the transition from Time into Breathe Reprise, or the guitar fading into You'll Never Walk Alone in Fearless, or the moment the guitar/bass plucking starts in Shine On You Crazy Diamond (VI - IX), but for now I'll go with

"Have ya heard the news??
The dogs are dead!!
You better stay home and do as you're told
Get out of the road if you wanna grow old"
*face-melting riff*

I like this thread.

Definitely a great pick.

Leave Them All Behind is probably my favourite song of all time, and when the guitar comes in at 0:42, oh man, that always gets my blood pumping. The whole intro is fucking incredible, and then the first verse coming in at 2:13-17 with those drum hits, that kills. The other really big moment for me is the final verse and the start of the solo, 5:33-6:25.

Ride "Leave Them All Behind" - YouTube

The slide guitar throughout Kare Kare is gorgeous, but it's the bit from 2:41 that really gets me:

Crowded House - Kare Kare - YouTube

/approval

The drum part right before the chorus of I can't explain. And the "I wanna play cricket..." Part of I'm a Boy. Actually I could probably pick at least one thing from most early Who singles.

2:44 onwards and towards the end of the song. What is already an intense, exhilarating song gets kicked up another notch and maintains this intensity up until the end, with gnawing guitars and other sounds. I don't even understand Swedish but I almost always get goosebumps with this.

Kent - Bianca - YouTube

That's just one of my favourite examples.

When Jonsi reaches his first climax in Glosoli at about 3:55, and then keeps repeating that line as the music grows and grows before finally exploding at 4:34.

Hard to name any explicitly. Radiohead would be a strong contender. Their songs have lots of weird change-ups that would dominate my list. So much more exciting than conventional stuff like guitar solos.

I also love bombastic song endings. The Queen Live At Wembley DVD is great for that.

The, uh, page formatting went broke on my side and it looks weird.

Echoes, David Gilmour's guitar part when the song really comes back after that long psychedelic interlude in the middle. Perfection.

Back
Top Bottom