Favorite R.E.M. album(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please choose five:

• Total voters

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
OK, let's try this again. The purpose of this poll is to decide how to distribute the songs per album in the upcoming R.E.M. survivor. To increase accuracy, I would like to ask that you pick your five favorites instead of just one.

My choices:

1. Automatic For The People
2. Murmur
3. Document
4. Lifes Rich Pageant
5. Up

I've only heard five albums, so I guess this is my list:

1. Murmur
2. Lifes Rich Pageant
3. Automatic for the People
4. Fables of the Reconstruction
5. Reckoning

Bravo.

1. Life's Rich Pageant
2. Murmur
3. Document
4. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
5. Fables of the Reconstruction

5 was hard, Reckoning and Up are a close 6 and 7 for me.

I'm hearing Lifes Rich Pageant now... and I'm realizing that I had forgotten some stuff from this album, so before I choose I'll give all albums another listen so I can choose right.

Good show, MMP.

And I couldn't decide between Monster, Out of Time, and Up for the 5th spot, but I finally went with Monster. It never gets enough love, and I just kept thinking of killer tracks from that album. Kenneth, Tongue, Strange Currencies, Circus Envy, Let Me In.

Fuck what an underrated album, and it has real balls, not the plasticles found on Accelerate.

I like that Automatic went from easily destroying everything else in the last poll to only having two votes in this one.

How many songs go from each album again?

Bravo.

1. Life's Rich Pageant
2. Murmur
3. Document
4. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
5. Fables of the Reconstruction

5 was hard, Reckoning and Up are a close 6 and 7 for me.

Fables and Reckoning are too mixed for me. Harborcoat is probably in my Top 3 R.E.M. songs, and there's some good rockers (Pretty Persuasion, Second Guessing) but the album just feels a little slight to me, especially after the grandeur of Murmur.

Also, side 2 of Fables is a bit of a slog. I really couldn't even hum the last four songs if I tried, and probably couldn't name any of them if you played them out of order. But that album just has some beautifully written and played songs--the first seven really knock my socks off.

Also, side 2 of Fables is a bit of a slog. I really couldn't even hum the last four songs if I tried, and probably couldn't name any of them if you played them out of order. But that album just has some beautifully written and played songs--the first seven really knock my socks off.

Well, there's Wendell Gee... I like that one. Funny you say that... I'm listening to Fables now and song #8 is about to start. :D

I think we should leave it like that... I mean, it has more votes, even if it's one, it's more.

1. Out of time
2. Up
3. Fables of the reconstruction
4. Automatic for the people
5. New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I know this is not the place, but has anyone heard the Lengthy Club version of Finest Worksong. I'm listening to it right now since a long time. It's great :dance:

Btw, finished LRP and FOTR, will listen to Document now. Proabably, by Monday I'll have finished and I'll be able to make the right choices. This is all for the fifth place actually, cause I'm pretty sure of the first four.

What do you suggest?

I'm just saying, if there's a pack of five that clearly pulls away from the rest, we really should bump that last one up and give it an extra song, and same for the difference between the two bottom sections (and here we may wind up bumping one down). An extra two days of voting isn't going to matter much.

Fables and Reckoning are too mixed for me. Harborcoat is probably in my Top 3 R.E.M. songs, and there's some good rockers (Pretty Persuasion, Second Guessing) but the album just feels a little slight to me, especially after the grandeur of Murmur.

I more or less agree with everything you just said. If I chose tomorrow, it could have been Up. I don't share your views on Monster, though. I mean, it's a good listen, and, REM are my 2nd favorite band after all, so lesser REM for me is still pretty good stuff....but, I don't know, for me, it has not held up all that well....I admire the effort greatly, though......and, it was fun having Automatic, Out of Time and Monster come out in consecutive years......

And, once more:

Half a World Away = :drool:

I'm just saying, if there's a pack of five that clearly pulls away from the rest, we really should bump that last one up and give it an extra song, and same for the difference between the two bottom sections (and here we may wind up bumping one down). An extra two days of voting isn't going to matter much.

I'll consider it. We'll see what the situation is. If more than 10-15 people vote, it may not even be an issue.

I've loved R.E.M.'s "Automatic for the People" for about the past two years, but I finally decided to delve into their whole discography beginning in late November 2008. And I have to say that they have become a great addiction for me since then.

For their top five albums...

1. "Automatic for the People"
2. "Murmur"
3. "Lifes Rich Pageant"
4. "Document"
5. "Out of Time"

"New Adventures in Hi-Fi" is a close #6 for me as "E-Bow The Letter" is one of the finest and most uncharacteristically catchy songs I've ever heard... and "Accelerate" would be #7. "Living Well is The Best Revenge", "Supernatural Superserious", "Man-Sized Wreath", "Horse to Water", and "Hollow Man" are all awesome.

Oh, Lightinin' Hopkins is such a powerful track :dance: mothafucka :dance:

I'll consider it. We'll see what the situation is. If more than 10-15 people vote, it may not even be an issue.

Play it by ear. But you can pretty much see where this is going if the trend holds. Right now you have a three-way tie for 7 votes, which are all four in front of the ones with 3.

Back
Top Bottom