Favorite R.E.M. album(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please choose five:

• Total voters
I'm not sure what specifically you think sounds rushed about the chorus. But whatever, you obviously just have crappy taste don't agree with me on this one. :)

Finest Worksong and Turn You Inside Out are the exact same song, by the way.

"I'm tossing up punchlines that were never there"?

AWKWARD.

And your comparison may be true, but that shouldn't tarnish the standing of the earlier song.

Nah, it wasn't said in relation to The Great Beyond - it reminded me of that when you said TGB sounded like another of their songs.

I don't mind the lyric about the punchline, but it's weird the way he sings "punchline." It almost sounds like "paunchline."

The worst Stipe lyric ever? Easily "leaving was never my proud." He could have gotten away with that earlier, during his Mumbly Joe period, but in a time where he sings clearer and you can understand the lyrics, it's a shitty line that makes absolutely no sense.

That's the thing about these Survivor games. If you do all albums and all releases for bands that have an extensive catalogue, it stops being fun after a while, especially for the poor person brave enough to organize it.

While I'd love to have a full survivor game for REM, I completely understand why there are wishes to try and narrow it down a bit.

Yeah, I agree with you, but I'm looking at the R.E.M. songs I have here on my pc and look how many will be left behind:

All Dead Letter Office album
Chronic Town EP
(All I've Got to Do Is) Dream
Revolution
Wichita Lineman
[live]
It's a Free World Baby
Winged Mammal Theme
First We Take Manhattan
Tricycle
Wall of Death
Romance
Mandolin Strum
Chance (Dub)
Funtime
2JN
The Great Beyond
Bad Day
Animal
All the Right Friends
#9 Dream
Last Date
Fretless
Rotary Eleven
Fruity Organ
Arms of Love
Ghost Riders
Dark Globe
Tired of Singing Trouble
Love Is All Around
[live]
Tighen Up
Moon River
Forty Second Song
Memphis Train Blues
The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Redhead Walking
Airliner

That's a lot of stuff... maybe we should spit it in two blocks and do them after the albums with two or three songs going from each block.

After their little acoustic mini-tour after Out of Time and hearing the same versions of the same songs on radio shows, TV shows and everything else, I never, ever, ever want to hear their cover of "Love Is All Around" again.

BAAAAA BA BA BA BAAAA, BA BA BAAAAAA!

It totally was sweet the first 5,000 times I heard it. I was heavily into my REM obsession at that point, so I listened to bootlegs over and over again. That was plenty - I don't need to hear it ever again. I skip past it when I listen to / watch the Unplugged show.

Oh, forgot about Living Well Jesus Dog and Indian Summer

It was really weird seeing nicely dressed, receding hairline Michael turn into t-shirt-wearing, shaved head Michael in that Kenneth video. It was as strange a transformation as cowboy Bono into The Fly.

I think Monster was the last album I bought at midnight the day of its release. It was in college. Good times.

I had a star tee shirt like the one Stipe wears in that video - I wish I still had it. I actually had a good handful of cool shirts from the Monster tour. That was the first tour I saw them on, and saw them twice. Milwaukee and Chicago.

I remember buying Monster the day it was released, down in Manhattan (I was interning at the NFL at the time)...and listening to it for the first time on the D train on the way home....

I think Monster was the last album I bought at midnight the day of its release. It was in college. Good times.

I had a star tee shirt like the one Stipe wears in that video - I wish I still had it. I actually had a good handful of cool shirts from the Monster tour. That was the first tour I saw them on, and saw them twice. Milwaukee and Chicago.

Did you see them at the Rosemont Horizon? I was at back to back shows. We had nosebleeds from the first one, and then scored like 15th row for a little over face value the second night. I remember writing the setlists down on yellow post-its.

Christ, I didn't realize how big that file was.

I have a smaller one that strangely seems to be better quality, as it's from a better-recorded show.

PM me. Again.

I'm trying to remember where the concert was. I saw them in Chicago in 95 and in 99. I think both places were outdoor, but both times I had a reserved seat under the covered part.

Was that the Rosemont?

Radiohead opened for them in 99, but we missed them because my friend's brother and his wife were total slow-asses. But it was entirely worth it, because my friend got really awesome seats through the fan club. I think they were, like, 9th row? We were smack dab in the center, and everyone around us had paid through the nose for scalped tickets. We enjoyed the looks on their faces when we said we paid face value.

It was a really great show.

Monster hasn't held up well for me, but damn, did I love that album when it came out. I think Let Me In and I Took Your Name are the two songs I still really love from that album.

I had to stop and think about when I saw them. Twice in '95, once in '99, once in '03 (I think? It was the tour after that hits album came out, and they were playing "Bad Day" and "Animal"), and then after Around the Sun. That was a smaller venue, and a really good show. It made me appreciate the songs on AtS a little more.

I'm trying to remember where the concert was. I saw them in Chicago in 95 and in 99. I think both places were outdoor, but both times I had a reserved seat under the covered part.

Was that the Rosemont?

Radiohead opened for them in 99, but we missed them because my friend's brother and his wife were total slow-asses. But it was entirely worth it, because my friend got really awesome seats through the fan club. I think they were, like, 9th row? We were smack dab in the center, and everyone around us had paid through the nose for scalped tickets. We enjoyed the looks on their faces when we said we paid face value.

It was a really great show.

The Rosemont is an indoor arena, in the Northwest suburbs. The World Music Theatre is outdoor and partially covered, and it's in the south suburbs. I didn't realize they played both places on that tour?

Back
Top Bottom