Favorite R.E.M. album(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please choose five:

• Total voters
Knights of Cydonia sounds a little D&D to me.

Which maybe explains why I never got into them. Someone totally hyped Absolution to me saying it was like Radiohead and I was rather disappointed.

The laser sounds and horse whinnies at the beginning are a little hokey, but the rest is beyond awesome. I edited it into a video about Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb a couple years back, made for an interesting watch.

"I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds" being said over the outro was surreal.

The only Radiohead thing I can draw from them is the lead singer's voice at times. Apart from that, they sound more like early '80s Queen and Rage Against the Machine to me.

Reckoning
Fables Of The Reconstruction
Lifes Rich Pageant
Document
Green

Older R.E.M. :drool:

Well, I've heard a lot more R.E.M. than I was expecting so I could vote for this tonight
Here it goes:

1) Automatic for the People
2) Monster
3) New Adventures In Hi-Fi
4) Around the Sun
5) This one was a tie between Accelerate, Out of Time and Up
I chose Out of Time. I have a pain in my heart, but I did it.

Wow...New Adventures is tied for first. That's crazy. I've given that album a few chances, but I can't get into it. To be honest, the rockers ruin it for me. I love the more atmospheric moments like E-Bow and Leave.

Also, is it just me, or is Electrolite's melody eerily similar to Nightswimming's?

For your birthday, I accidentally only picked two favourites instead of five. Sorry. That said, if such a thing is really needed:

1. Murmur
2. Reckoning
3. Fables
4. LRP
5. Automatic

Wow...New Adventures is tied for first. That's crazy. I've given that album a few chances, but I can't get into it. To be honest, the rockers ruin it for me. I love the more atmospheric moments like E-Bow and Leave.

I have to agree. Yes, there are some standout tracks on it, but also stuff that I just can't listen to on a regular basis. Usually I don't complain about long albums, but this one is bloated and could have used a bit more fine tuning.

I picked:

Automatic (90s fav)
LRP (80s fav)
Out Of Time (the album that got me into them)
New Adventures :love:
Document

Monster was close!

Wow, I'm stunned at how few votes Fables has.

For me:

1. Fables Of The Reconstruction
2. Reckoning
3. Murmur
4. Life's Rich Pageant
5. Document

Green and Monster were also contenders for the fifth spot.

Wow, I'm stunned at how few votes Fables has.

For me:

1. Fables Of The Reconstruction
2. Reckoning
3. Murmur
4. Life's Rich Pageant
5. Document

Green and Monster were also contenders for the fifth spot.

We have the same 5, just in different order. Green nor Monster were competing for my 5th, though. Up and Out of Time were.

I listened to LRP again this morning. I remember now why I used to love this band.

I am old as fuck and it's not always fun to think about, but the silver lining is that I was around when albums like that were released. What a pleasure it was to listen to new REM in the 80's. Even Green, Lazarus.

I listened to LRP again this morning. I remember now why I used to love this band.

I am old as fuck and it's not always fun to think about, but the silver lining is that I was around when albums like that were released. What a pleasure it was to listen to new REM in the 80's. Even Green, Lazarus.

It's funny how different people have different times/decades for their favorite music. I could say the exact same things you guys said, for Out Of Time/Automatic and also that I'm fortunate to have appreciated them thru the early to mid 90s. :drool:

It's funny how different people have different times/decades for their favorite music. I could say the exact same things you guys said, for Out Of Time/Automatic and also that I'm fortunate to have appreciated them thru the early to mid 90s. :drool:

I don't know if you know this or not, but, I too was alive for the 90's releases.

Green only pales in hindsight. I'm sure it was awesome to hear Orange Crush for the first time.

I don't know if you know this or not, but, I too was alive for the 90's releases.

lol.

No I just meant in terms of fav decades. I was alive for their 00s releases but I still prefer the 90s ones by a country mile! And I can kinda see why you prefer the 80s ones.

lol.

No I just meant in terms of fav decades. I was alive for their 00s releases but I still prefer the 90s ones by a country mile! And I can kinda see why you prefer the 80s ones.

I very much like the 90's releases, too, especially New Adventures in Hi-Fi...it's just that their alternative days mean more to me.

...as opposed to 90s alternative rock like U2 and REM? ;)

You have just made me listen to World Leader Pretend, btw.

I sit at my table and wage war on myself.

90's alternative makes me laugh, sorry.

REM got no radio play on most FM stations during the 80's, they were truly alternative when the word meant something, and they were sort of musical heroes for me in a sense.

I became an REM fan the year Around The Sun was released. Fail.

Automatic got me into REM, so I still love that one the most overall, but I'm more into their '80s work. I just love the sound those early records have. It's not clear, but it's mysterious and beautiful.

Automatic got me into REM, so I still love that one the most overall, but I'm more into their '80s work. I just love the sound those early records have. It's not clear, but it's mysterious and beautiful.

Amen.

Also, I've never quite heard such morose lyrics hidden behind such uplifting melodies and such. So many of their early songs just make me happy. Eh, I will shut up now.

Amen.

Also, I've never quite heard such morose lyrics hidden behind such uplifting melodies and such. So many of their early songs just make me happy. Eh, I will shut up now.

Stipe was so mushmouthed on the first few records that you can imagine he's saying anything and it'll begin to sound like that after a while. This one time, I got him to sing the theme from Ghostbusters over 7 Chinese Bros.

Perfect Circle makes me very happy.

90's alternative makes me laugh, sorry.

REM got no radio play on most FM stations during the 80's, they were truly alternative when the word meant something, and they were sort of musical heroes for me in a sense.

Yeah I suppose calling U2, REM, Smashing Pumpkins etc. alternative rock is kinda bonkers, eh? They were being played liberally on MTV after all. I suppose it was alternative to the grunge, which was the mainstream? I dunno.

I became an REM fan the year Around The Sun was released. Fail.

You're definitely the exception to my theory that people generally hold closest to their hearts, the decade/years when they got into a lot of music for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom