Favorite R.E.M. album(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please choose five:

• Total voters
Prepare yourself for disappointment. A few great songs aside, easily their most shallow album. Even enjoyable songs like Pop Song 89, Get Up and Turn You Inside Out don't have much weight.

Also, Stand is one of the weakest "big" songs I've ever heard. Just trash.

Highlights: You Are the Everything, World Leader Pretend, Orange Crush.

Hehe... mr. lazarus and I don't agree on much apparently :wink:

Not really in any order...

1. Murmur
2. Lifes Rich Pageant
3. Reckoning
4. Document
5. New Adventures in Hi-Fi

1. Life's Rich Pageant
2. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
3. Automatic For the People
4. Murmur
5. Reckoning

laz will perpetuate a KNIFE CRIME against me for saying so, but I'm not much of a fan of Document. I prefer Green.

*runs away*

You can't run fast enough.

_20020831_Dsc_0903_p25q30_.jpg

good to see Murmur in the lead, didn't realise so many people appreciated this album

Document
Automatic...
Monster
New Adventures...

and Out of Time for me.

As you can see, I'm a huge fan of '90s R.E.M., possibly due to my unfamiliarity with stuff like Fables and Reckoning.

I'm loving the respect for New Adventures, to me its the highlight of their sonic adventures, features the beautiful/tough lyrics Stipe is best known for (somewhat in the vein of Automatic) and their best take on rocking, what Monster tried to hard to be was a rock album for the times, New Adventures was a true rock gem from R.E.M. Its my favorite, and I'm a huge fan of all their eras. My other favorites are probably Lifes Rich Pageant and Automatic. Not that I can really play favorites other than to say that R.E.M. is freaking amazing :drool:

I'm forty-seven. Forty-seven years old. You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? KNIFE CRIME. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. KNIFE CRIME.

I'm forty-seven. Forty-seven years old. You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? KNIFE CRIME. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. KNIFE CRIME.

Here's the thing... I don't give a ten-penny fuck about your KNIFE CRIME conundrum, you meat-headed shit-sack... That's pretty much the thing.

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but this poll is giving exactly the result I predicted/expected.

Clearly those five have separated themselves from the pack as being the consensus Top Tier.

Thanks El Mel for giving this process a chance.

May I suggest though, once we pull those 5, having a new poll to pick 4 fav remaining albums for the "middle" tier? Because the rest of the pack is too close together.

Am I alone in saying "Leave" is one of their 10 best songs? I fucking love it.

The added poignancy in it being the last track on a Berry-involved album is pretty nifty, too.

I've had it as the last track on my own mix for so long that I forgot it wasn't the actual last track on New Adventures, my bad.

Personally, I never liked Electrolite as a closer. Not epic enough, but on a schizophrenic album like Hi-Fi maybe it works. I do like "I'm outta here" and the abrupt ending in a way, though.

Personally, I never liked Electrolite as a closer. Not epic enough, but on a schizophrenic album like Hi-Fi maybe it works. I do like "I'm outta here" and the abrupt ending in a way, though.

Yeah, I can see that.

Anthemic/epic openers and closers always do me in. One of the best examples of this is Muse's Black Holes and Revelations... say what you want about the rest of the album, but "Take a Bow" and "Knights of Cydonia" make fucking awesome bookends.

Knights of Cydonia sounds a little D&D to me.

Which maybe explains why I never got into them. Someone totally hyped Absolution to me saying it was like Radiohead and I was rather disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom