Favorite R.E.M. album(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please choose five:

• Total voters
So did anyone get a chance to hear the song yet?

Anyone else want it? I have a nice little 6 meg version floating in the ether for all of you.

So did anyone get a chance to hear the song yet?

Anyone else want it? I have a nice little 6 meg version floating in the ether for all of you.

Can you send the 6mb one my way? You mentioned it was from a better recorded show...:hmm: Thanks again!

The Rosemont is an indoor arena, in the Northwest suburbs. The World Music Theatre is outdoor and partially covered, and it's in the south suburbs. I didn't realize they played both places on that tour?

It must have been The World. Go figure!

Hate for Departure....not cool.....a real grower for me. And Wake Up Bomb is cool. Low Desert is weak.

Pilgrimage for the win.....

Hate for Departure....not cool.....a real grower for me. And Wake Up Bomb is cool. Low Desert is weak.

Pilgrimage for the win.....

The lyrics on both are atrocious, Michael Stipe plays against his strengths as a vocalist on both, and Wake Up Bomb is literally the same crappy thing over and over again for 5 minutes with no variation.

Agreed on the Pilgrimage front.

Chronic Town really does need to be up in this bitch. Gardening At Night is one of my favorite songs by these fools. It's just gorgeous.

On the topic of B-Sides and other tracks...I love, love, love Bad Day. Yes, the verses are similar to End Of The World, but they kick ass. I think the demo of Bad Day was actually written before End of the World anyway. The bridge and chorus are crazy infectious, too.

As for the Accelerate material that didn't end up on the album, I remember there was a song called On The Fly that got cut. I don't remember much about it, but I think it was cool. I'm not saying any of this stuff has to be in the Survivor, but I just wanted to confess my love for some of it.

Oh, and, I don't think there's any doubt that Around The Sun and Reveal are their two weakest LP's but there is some great stuff on both. Three words - Imitation of Life. That song is amazing. I don't care.

I can't believe I missed this thread. :doh:

I have every R. E. M. album. my favourite ones are New Adventures and Automatic. I think Find the River is one of my favourite songs by anyone.

But I also amit that I really enjoy Accelerate.

I got into their very early stuff pretty late and I'm still catching up on that one. From their vintage recordings I'd say I enjoy Murmur and Document most.

I also love the Live in Dublin CD. :up:

Ok, so we're really leaving behind all those songs that I listed, Dead Letter Office and Chronic Town EP?

I was thinking 1 from Chronic Town (like you said before), 1 from Dead Letter (since it has a lot of covers and druken-sing songs :wink:) and 2, 3 or 4 from those I've listed.

It's crossed my mind, and I agree that we should include some obscurities, along with Chronic Town and Dead Letter Office. But any set will be receiving just one song each. I don't want this to be like the Radiohead survivor in that regard. The amount of b-sides was absurd.

Well, take a look in the list I posted a few pages ago... I said 2 or 3 cause that list includes things like Animal, Bad Day, The Great Beyond, etc. which are not actually obscure. But like mr. lazarus said, it's your call.

I think as much as four would be reasonable. Hell, you could do ten and still be significantly more reasonable than the fucking Radiohead survivor (it was 16 album tracks and 14 B-sides, for Christ's sake).

We can split that list into two or three parts (chronologically?) and take a song from each.

Ultimately, only a handful stand a chance of going anywhere, so let's not make the early rounds of the final draw a drag.

Yeah, that seems ok. Not sure about the chronologically, but ok.

There's also the songs released on the Christmas Fan-Club singles, but I guess we can leave those behind, since most people don't have//heard these and most are covers.

My internet time is so limited time these, but I'll make an effort for this. I went for Life's Rich Pageant, Document, Green, Automatic for the People and Reveal. I've only just got Murmer and while ace so far I can't really bump Green off after only a couple of listens.

I don't think there's even a question if Document is top tier material at this point.

All three tiers are fairly well-defined at this point. Looks like we should be ready to go tomorrow.

Yeah, NSW, that performance is awesome. That whole night was great. Eddie made a wonderful induction speech and then joined them on stage for Begin the Begin and Man On The Moon. Hotness.

From the great Mike Mills in the liner notes to their IRS best-of:

"We were driving at night after a show (I don't remember where), and I was at the wheel of our old car, with a rental trailer in tow. One of my three passengers aimed a directive at me. Rather than inform me of his desire to evacuate his bladder, he instead suggested that I pull over so that he might engage in the task of roadside 'night gardening.' To four guys in their early twenties this was a glaring catalyst for a new song."

Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom