Favorite Bruce Springsteen Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your five favorites.

• Total voters
I think most big Bruce fans like Nebraska a lot, or at least they do in my experience. Phanan might know better than I.

Yeah, Nebraska is considered his true solo masterpiece.

I didn't see it live until the Magic Tour, which meant I saw the ridiculous 11-minute version. Not my favorite.

Seeing it once was definitely enough. I was very surprised it returned to the Magic tour, and I wish it hadn't.

I LIKE The Rising. I like it a lot. It just does not strike me as a "classic" especially when you look at the body of Bruce's work.

This.

Paradise is one of the worst mood-killers since Revolution #9. Other than that, The Rising is fantastic.

Mood-killer? There's a number of downers on that album, all equally beautiful, so I don't see how Paradise is anymore of a mood-killer than Empty Sky or You're Missing.

It's about the tour setlist, don't click if you don't want to know about it:

My three favorite U2 songs are Bad, Please, and Until the End of the World, so I can relate to your "not playing it live" pains.

Two out of three, huh? :wink: Now could you ask for Hold Me or Levitate please? :hmm:

Born To Run
Darkness
Born in the USA
Asbury Park
The Wild, The Innocent...

And I think that's in order. The first three definitely are, with BTR bouncing in and out of the top slot on my favorite albums of all-time list. It makes me want to live a better life.

Mood-killer? There's a number of downers on that album, all equally beautiful, so I don't see how Paradise is anymore of a mood-killer than Empty Sky or You're Missing.

It's the placement. After Empty Sky or You're Missing, it wouldn't be a thing, but following the title track, it's a different matter.

I don't know, I liked its placement before My City of Ruins and didn't mind it coming out of The Rising. I thought it worked.

Ah, you don't have to agree. Just trying to explain myself here. :up:

I'm not sure if I'm pleasantly surprised or just surprised that Tunnel Of Love is ahead of Nebraska right now. I know Nebraska is fairly divisive, but I expected a little more support than this. Oh well, that won't prevent Atlantic City from kicking ass. :wink:

I really love Springsteen and he's one of my all time favorites, but my relationship with his music has always been kind of...iffy, I guess? What I mean is that I wildly love a handful of his records (and lots of his songs, even from "bad" albums), and actively dislike the others. And by "the others," I really mean "most of them." This has gotten to be more pronounced as the years have gone by and he's gotten a really out-of-step sound which has, surprisingly, lasted all the way from The River (if not the overrated Darkness on the Edge of Town to the present. This doesn't mean that his albums are badly produced or necessarily bad, per se, but rather that all of them sound dated upon release. That works for some, doesn't seem to bother most, and annoys me. Also, I think that his songwriting peak only lasted for a few years, with the notable exception of Born in the USA, which I think is brilliant.

Anyway, my top 4 follow his best record, one about which there is no room for things like debate or opinion...

1a) The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle

1) Born in the USA
2) Nebraska
3) Born to Run
4) Darkness on the Edge of Town (begrudgingly--I love a few songs, dislike the others; same goes for The River, which is simply impossible to listen to, in one sitting)

I find it curious that you think most of his albums sound dated upon release, yet your second favorite album is Born In The USA, which is arguably his most dated record of them all (although I also enjoy it).

If you think that USA sounds more dated than The River or even Darkness, then you are deaf. To be fair, though, I should clarify--I didn't mean dated in terms of arrangements or songwriting or anything along those lines; instead, I meant in terms of the actual sound engineering, mastering, and overall production. I definitely think that some of the flamboyant synth lines in USA are now crazily dated, but they didn't sound brittle and tinny when they first came out...nor do they, now! They just sound, you know...pretty damn '80s!

The River does sound dated. I'm not going to try and compare it to how other albums sound. But I can agree that it definitely sounds dated.

Maybe that's what I'm hearing - not necessarily 'dated' but 'why does this sound so bad, does that mean it needs remastering, or do I just not like this album?'

When the songs pop up on my iPod, it sounds so quiet and ... tinny? I don't know that that's the right word.

Eh, whatever. I'm not a big fan of The River. :)

Yeah, ok. The sound quality on The River is atrocious, most definitely. It's probably the record that needs a remastering the most.

And speaking of remasters, where the hell is that Darkness box set...

Not sure what you are looking at. It's in fourth place, right behind The Rising. Quite respectable and pretty much right on target.

Isn't Born in the USA his best-selling and most popular album? I'd say the expectation would be for it to be in the #1 or #2 slot.

We know Darkness is a big fan favorite, so that's not the real shocker here, but The Rising even coming close to Born in the USA, let alone having more votes, is a welcome surprise, as I don't think the latter is very good.

Isn't Born in the USA his best-selling and most popular album? I'd say the expectation would be for it to be in the #1 or #2 slot.

We know Darkness is a big fan favorite, so that's not the real shocker here, but The Rising even coming close to Born in the USA, let alone having more votes, is a welcome surprise, as I don't think the latter is very good.

If we were going strictly by sales, then yes, USA should be first, but generally speaking, Born To Run and Darkness are considered stronger albums.

I'm very surprised that The Rising is doing so well.

Back
Top Bottom