Favorite Bruce Springsteen Albums? - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please vote for your five favorites.
Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. 7 14.58%
The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle 21 43.75%
Born To Run 37 77.08%
Darkness on the Edge of Town 29 60.42%
The River 16 33.33%
Nebraska 15 31.25%
Born in the U.S.A. 20 41.67%
Tunnel of Love 13 27.08%
Human Touch 1 2.08%
Lucky Town 3 6.25%
The Ghost of Tom Joad 2 4.17%
The Rising 21 43.75%
Devils & Dust 4 8.33%
We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions 4 8.33%
Magic 13 27.08%
Working On A Dream 3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
It's just a little bit sad to see Born in the USA and The Rising with more votes than The Wild...
At least it will have the same amount of songs represented, from what it looks like, and with only 7 to begin with, it should do well.

Ashley, I'm assuming that because The River is a double album that it gets double the amount, correct? So if it qualified for say, two songs, it really gets four, right?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #197
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:04 PM
I don't know, right now it's in 6th...let's just say I were to send through three, would you reallythink it should get six instead?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #198
45:33

Local Time: 02:04 PM
how many songs does born to run send through?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #199
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:04 PM
If "Rosalita" gets an early boot, then someone should be shot.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #200
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't know, right now it's in 6th...let's just say I were to send through three, would you reallythink it should get six instead?
Oh god, I hope not.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #201
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm working on all of that right now, Danny.

God, I'm listening to Lucky Town right now, and just seeing it down there where it is kinda makes me sad, this really *is* a good album.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #202
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll be back with more information this evening, but, I just wanted to officially say that this is the vote total I'm going with is:

1 - Born To Run 36
2 - Darkness on the Edge of Town 27
3 - Born in the U.S.A. 20
3 - The Rising 20
5 - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle 19
6 - The River 14
6 - Nebraska 14
8 - Tunnel of Love 12
8 - Magic 12
10 - Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. 6
11 - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions 4
12 - Devils & Dust 3
13 - Working On A Dream 3
14 - Lucky Town 2
14 - The Ghost of Tom Joad 2
16 - Human Touch 1
Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I would have to say yes.

Human Touch and Lucky Town, while different in name, is essentially a double album, released together. If you give each of those albums two songs, then they get four total. Yet an album like The River, despite its flaws, would only get three. Doesn't make sense to me. Nebraska has 10 songs and will have three moving on supposedly. The River has 20, so it should have six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Oh god, I hope not.
C'mon, The River is really not that bad. It's a four star album surrounded by five star classics, no? What songs are so bad on there that bring it down for you that much? I can only think of a few that don't measure up to the rest.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #204
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
What songs are so bad on there that bring it down for you that much? I can only think of a few that don't measure up to the rest.
I can't even tell you, because to me, The River is a small handful of songs I really love (the title track, Cadillac Ranch), a few I like (Hungry Heart, Point Blank, Independence Day)), a couple of songs I prefer in their live versions (Out In the Street, Two Hearts), and a bunch that in my head I'm not able to tell apart because I was so disappointed when I first heard the album that I haven't been able to bring myself to go back and spend that much more time with it.

And honestly ,there are a bunch of songs that just sound so similar to me, or at least have that same synth sound or whatever (when I think of what I'm thinking about, I can hear it in my head but can't really express it), and the songs are interchangable - I don't like them that much. The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Two Hearts, Out IN the Street, You Can Look, I'm a Rocker ...

Yeah, my comment was just a sarcastic response, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have 6 songs advance from it, but there's just something (or several things) about the album that I actively do not like.

... that was probably a lot more words than this response required, but oh well.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:04 PM
The River is the utter definition of "meh?" when I think Bruce.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I can't even tell you, because to me, The River is a small handful of songs I really love (the title track, Cadillac Ranch), a few I like (Hungry Heart, Point Blank, Independence Day)), a couple of songs I prefer in their live versions (Out In the Street, Two Hearts), and a bunch that in my head I'm not able to tell apart because I was so disappointed when I first heard the album that I haven't been able to bring myself to go back and spend that much more time with it.

And honestly ,there are a bunch of songs that just sound so similar to me, or at least have that same synth sound or whatever (when I think of what I'm thinking about, I can hear it in my head but can't really express it), and the songs are interchangable - I don't like them that much. The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Two Hearts, Out IN the Street, You Can Look, I'm a Rocker ...

Yeah, my comment was just a sarcastic response, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have 6 songs advance from it, but there's just something (or several things) about the album that I actively do not like.

... that was probably a lot more words than this response required, but oh well.
Hmm, I wonder if the sound quality of the album, which IYS alluded to previously, hampers it in your eyes a bit, as it really is the worst of them all when it comes to that. The songs themselves, however, are quite good, with the exception of a few silly ones like Crush On You and I'm A Rocker, plus some that are a bit bland (I've never cared for Drive All Night). But I can't agree regarding The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, or some of the others that you list (although some of them are definitely better in their live versions, but then again, we can say that about a lot of other songs too).

On a side note, anyone ever notice that Hungry Heart is similar to Pride in that it's actually the reverse - the original sounds way better than any live version I've heard.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
The River is the utter definition of "meh?" when I think Bruce.
I thought that was 90's Bruce.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #208
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe. When I think of The River, I hear a high-pitched, dee-dee-dee-dee 80s sounding organ sound. Whether that's just because it's "dated" or because of the production, I don't know.

I really like the live version of Hungry Heart on that 3-disc live collection where he lets the audience sing the first verse. Stuff like that makes me happy.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

I've got to think that a remastering of it would improve it so much. I hear all the River era outtakes on Tracks, and they sound way better (and naturally, some of those songs are better, too).
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #210
Blue Crack Distributor

I dunno ... when I hear some of those tracks on live discs, I don't care for them either. I don't know why I don't like Out In the Streets or Two Hearts, but they just don't do anything for me.

Tags
bruce springsteen, survivor