Favorite/Best Cover Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that. It was a deliberate disagreement sort of "What", hence the lack of a question mark.

Don't worry, Stereophonics, I still think you're good.

:wink:

Perhaps they got a visit from a musket-totin' Utahn after that monstrosity that was their most recent album cover. Same reason Bloc Party haven't put out an album since.

There is a plethora of great Bob Dylan covers out there, with Hendrix's version of "Watchtower" and Robert Plant's version of "One More Cup of Coffee" at the top of my list.

If I had to choose one great cover, however, I would pick Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks," even if their version bears little resemblance to the original.

I've long had an allergic reaction when exposed to the Stereophonics' stale brand of pub rock. They're a pack of Marlboro away from Rod Stewart and Status Quo - although 'Local Boy in the Photograph' isn't entirely unpleasant.

Anyway, love Fiona Apple's cover of 'Sally's Song'.
‪Sally's Song - Fiona Apple‬‏ - YouTube

And Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' never fails. Nice mix of northern soul and acid house.

Pearl Jam's live versions of Victoria Williams' "Crazy Mary" are outstanding. It's a great song, I don't even know how they found it, but they've taken it and turned it into a sort-of staple of their live sets.
They performed it on Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams. Also, Lou Reed, Michelle Shocked, The Waterboys, and Michael Penn all do some good covers on that album.

Happy Rhodes does a great cover of Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" and Red Hot Chili Peppers version of Wonder's "Higher Ground".

Tori Amos has her own take of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and after you hear The Cardigans perform "Iron Man", the Black Sabbath version will never sound the same again.

My favorite covers:

Mazzy Star - Five String Serenade (Arthur Lee)
David Bowie - Cactus (Pixies)
Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane (Velvet Underground)
U2 - Dancing Barefoot (Patti Smith)
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls (Joy Division)

and of course...
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

I can't remember if I like or hate it. Will listen...

...and done. I enjoyed it, but I don't find it to be spectacular or anything. All I know is, if I hear the Dixie Chicks' cover of it at work one more time, I'm going to go ballistic.

This version of "Landslide" from The Voice may be my absolute favorite, coming close to the original, TBH.

‪Stevie Nicks & Javier Colon - Landslide - The Voice 06-29-2011‬‏ - YouTube

Obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUwUr213dk

Sorry, Leonard Cohen John Cale Jeff Buckley. kd owns this song now.

This was my favorite Pixies song for a long time, despite it not being a Pixies song:

‪Pixies - Head On (HQ)‬‏ - YouTube

I frickin' love this song:

‪The Bangles - Tear Off Your Head (It's A Doll Revolution)‬‏ - YouTube

My favorite version of this song (sorry, Neil):

‪Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Saint Etienne‬‏ - YouTube

My favorite "silly" cover (made even more amazing by the video:

‪Elbow Independent Woman‬‏ - YouTube

That was lovely! Although kd lang has one of my favorite voices ever, so it's very hard to top her in my eyes.

Uh .... ears.

Back
Top Bottom