Favorite Bands sweet spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Midnight Oil from about 10 to 1 until Blue Sky Mining. Maybe until Earth And Sun And Moon. That's a good decade, give or take.

That was my thought as well with Midnight Oil: 10 to 1 through EASAM.

Breathe was a big drop off for me. Redneck Wonderland had its moments, Capricornia just was ok.

I guess Oasis would be Definitely Maybe, What's the Story... and Be Here Now? 94 to 97... Wow. very brief

New Order - Low Life through Republic?? 85 to 93

I think most people jumped ship after Morning Glory.

Many New Order fans have Power, Corruption, and Lies as their favorite so you'd have to start one album earlier with them.

Can a Cure fan give a little help? I like them, but not familiar enough with their catalog to make too many judgements. I would say Kiss me... through Wish - 87 to 92

Head on the Door should definitely be included.

I think most people jumped ship after Morning Glory.

Many New Order fans have Power, Corruption, and Lies as their favorite so you'd have to start one album earlier with them.

Head on the Door should definitely be included.

Good call with New Order. I will have to check out Head on the Door again. I admit I came on board with them around Disintegration.

That was my thought as well with Midnight Oil: 10 to 1 through EASAM.

Breathe was a big drop off for me. Redneck Wonderland had its moments, Capricornia just was ok.

I don't think they ever made a horrible album, necessarily, but they did peter off markedly in the nineties, yeah. Just kind of ran out of steam (well, Peter Garrett was the president of the Australian Conservation Foundation through much of that time).

Some more...

LCD Soundsystem's entire career

Destroyer from 06-11 (Rubies / Trouble in Dreams / Kaputt)

Bowie x2
71-73 (Hunky Dory / Ziggy / Aladdin Sane)
75-77 (Young Americans / Station to Station / Low / "Heroes")

You'll never win me over. It's a significant drop-off from Low and "Heroes" and was released two years later. It has no business being mentioned as part of a Berlin trilogy, it's inferior.

Also, fuck you.

I'd say Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - Adore (yeah I know Adore didn't feature their drummer but it's still such a fantastic album).

I would say the cars sweet spot is their self titled album thru heartbeat city 78-84 kinda short

Heartbeat city had their biggest hit with drive. Plus they got Andy Warhol to direct their music video for hello again. Now the real question is did they lose their sweet spot with panorama. That might be... I only like a couple songs from that one. But they returned to form with Shake it Up. But of course this is all in my opinion.

To stir the pot more I would say that Boston had a sweet spot of their first 4 albums. Most would disagree and only go through Don't look back. There were huge gaps between albums but the consistency of Tom Stoltz and Brad Delp through Corporate America is what I think qualifies.

Can a Cure fan give a little help? I like them, but not familiar enough with their catalog to make too many judgements. I would say Kiss me... through Wish - 87 to 92

I'd say Seventeen Seconds through Head on the Door. Big fan of their early stuff.

Queen-Queen II through News of the World. Seems like most artists used to
Put albums out almost every year back in the day...

David Bowie - Station To Station-Low-Heroes-Lodger-Scary Monsters

Lodger's too far removed from Low/Heroes for the three of them to really work as a trilogy, in my opinion. I think he was wrong to hype it up as the final part of a trilogy before it came out and it's pretty unfairly judged just for that reason.
Taken on its own though, it's a brilliant album. Bridges the gap between Heroes and Scary Monsters very well too. Certainly doesn't interrupt a more or less perfect run from 1976-1980!

Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express - The Man Machine - Computer World

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor - X∞Multiplies - BGM - Technodelic
The self-titled debut has some of their best tracks but also veers into novelty territory a few too many times, so pretty easy to start with Solid State Survivor here. YMO are a great example of a band evolving and experimenting and still writing great music in the process, and in quite a short time too in the case of these four records, pretty impressive!

Pulp - Intro - His 'n' Hers - Different Class
I'd put This Is Hardcore on the end but as a whole it's about 25-30 minutes too long(!!) and should have included Like A Friend.
Intro's a compilation of three singles and their B-sides, but I think works perfectly as an album. Whoever arranged the tracklist that way, instead of just having them in order of release with their original running orders, did a great job, it flows brilliantly.

XTC - English Settlement - Mummer - The Big Express - 25 O'Clock - Skylarking - Psnoic Psunspot
Don't even know where to begin with XTC, but I could go on about them for hours.
I would have started with Drums And Wires, which is a favourite, but I've never liked Black Sea for some reason so it breaks up a perfect streak! :wink: also, I couldn't leave out the two records they released as The Dukes Of Stratosphear, anyone into psychedelic 60's pop should check those out.

Lodger's too far removed from Low/Heroes for the three of them to really work as a trilogy, in my opinion. I think he was wrong to hype it up as the final part of a trilogy before it came out and it's pretty unfairly judged just for that reason.
Taken on its own though, it's a brilliant album. Bridges the gap between Heroes and Scary Monsters very well too. Certainly doesn't interrupt a more or less perfect run from 1976-1980!

:love:

Yeah, Meddle was the moment they became a great band again post-Syd. There are scattered great songs, but no top shelf albums until Meddle.

I like Meddle more than The Wall. A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are achingly beautiful. They really didn't make any songs like those after Meddle.

U2 2000-2020

ATYCLB - Elevation Tour
HTDAAB - Vertigo Tour
NLOTH - 360 Tour
SOI - Innocence And Experience Tour
SOE - Innocence And Experience Tour

Duran Duran was the biggest thing in the world by the time they began to splinter, and in the meantime I think INXS slid right in with an incredible run of albums with Listen Like Thieves, Kick, X and Welcome To Wherever You Are.

Back
Top Bottom