Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilsFan

Blue Crack Addict
April 7th.

C28u5HaXEAEWqKO.jpg

1. Pure Comedy
2. Total Entertainment Forever
3. Things It Would Have Been Helpful to Know Before the Revolution
4. Ballad of the Dying Man
5. Birdie
6. Leaving LA
7. A Bigger Paper Bag
8. When the God of Love Returns There’ll Be Hell to Pay
9. Smoochie
10. Two Wildly Different Perspectives
11. The Memo
12. So I’m Growing Old on Magic Mountain
13. In Twenty Years or So

Hopefully it will feature more good songs and less songs where he's so far up his own arse it sacrifices the actual, yknow, music.

I've loved a lot of FJM songs over the first two records, I've interviewed him, he's great live. But if I have to hear another song like Bored in the USA, a song that exists only to show how very clever he is, how he's the king of irony, how he's so much smarter than everyone else in pop music, I'm going to fucking scream.

And now that I've seen the tracklist, title, listened to the first single, it's very apparent he's going to double down on his worst aspects. Great. 75 fucking minutes. Jesus christ.

Hopefully it will feature more good songs and less songs where he's so far up his own arse it sacrifices the actual, yknow, music.

I've loved a lot of FJM songs over the first two records, I've interviewed him, he's great live. But if I have to hear another song like Bored in the USA, a song that exists only to show how very clever he is, how he's the king of irony, how he's so much smarter than everyone else in pop music, I'm going to fucking scream.

Uhh, aren't you a Pavement fan? And Los Campesinos? You could say the same about Malkmus and Gareth.

And like, this is part of his act. Much of it is satire.

There's tons of artists wearing their hearts on their sleeves, and certainly enough room for someone to do it differently and meta.

Also, this first single/opening track is pretty political. So I'm not sure social commentary qualifies as "so far up his own ass" just because he's a good writer.

I wonder if this will bring Mudfield back because it's POLITICALLY RELEVANT.

FJM grates on me badly these days for many of the reasons Cobbler laid out but I'll give this a listen and hopefully he changes my mind.

Good album cover btw.

Yes but they don’t let that get in the way of making enjoyable music. They combine the two and it makes them a double threat - great song AND funny. And FJM has done that plenty of times, like Writing a Novel for instance. And you’re right in that there’s room for it, but the gimmick is wearing thin for me. Like I loved The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment when I first heard it, and that was because of the lyrics, but once you’ve heard it a few times there’s nothing about the actual song that makes you want to come back. And then you’re just left with these look-at-me lyrics and they start to smell.

His last song was Real Love Baby and it was fucking great. On the last album you had tracks like Ideal Husband, True Affection, Holy Shit, Chateau Lobby, that show he can be interesting lyrically and still write a good song. I just hope that this album can do that, but at 75 minutes I don’t hold out much hope.

If there are another two songs on there as good as Chateau Lobby #4 and Holy Shit, it'll be worth a listen.

And now that I've seen the tracklist, title, listened to the first single, it's very apparent he's going to double down on his worst aspects. Great. 75 fucking minutes. Jesus christ.
He said like a year ago that his next album was going to be in the vein of "Bored in the USA" and "Holy Shit." And his meltdown at the Philly radio festival this past summer was a pretty strong indicator that he wasn't handling the political climate in the US very well.

The title track has really good parts but is a little too on the nose at times.

This dude has disappeared so far up his own ass. Do we really need an entire album's worth of "Bored in the USA"?

Last edited:
The album is a fucking chore. There are some pretty melodies and humorous lyrics but not enough variation to justify 75 minutes. Hell, even the extremely flawed new Sun Kil Moon album was weird and varied enough to keep me interested for two hours.

His career is a chore at this point. Fear Fun was and remains great, but the joke got old a long time ago. We get it, man. You're smarter than everyone else.

Can't wait for laz's mental gymnastics defending it

:rolleyes:

Honeybear has an 87 on Metacritic, let's not act like I was the only person singing its praises. That's also 4 points higher than Fear Fun, so I'm not in a minority in thinking it was better, either. And if you want a specific take, Pitchfork rated them 8.8 and 7.3, respectively.

As for the new one, I'll judge it when I hear it. I'm certainly not prone to liking albums filled with downtempo stuff; PJ Harvey's White Chalk is easily her worst for me and I never listen to it, for example.

I thought Honeybear and the subsequent tour were great, but his interviews are batshit and the whole lead up to this album is concerning. I haven't heard the leak.

Back
Top Bottom