Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have a menial job to do at work which seems like the perfect time to finally listen to this album. Twenty seconds in and it's already boring.

Okay so. It doesn't start too badly at all! Pure Comedy, Total Entertainment, Ballad of the Dying Man and Birdie are all pretty good. I'd say Ballad of the Dying Man is the highlight, and Pure Comedy is great once you get past the first two minutes.

Can definitely hear that 70s Elton John/Neil Young influence others have spoken about it. In fact, whenever there is music used on this album that isn't just piano notes played three seconds apart or slow and unmemorable acoustic guitar, it's quite great.

But I was right about most of it. Leaving LA, jesus christ. Who could possibly enjoy that. In fact from that song through until the end it's just incredibly boring. All those songs are largely exactly the same - background piano, meandering acoustic guitar, slow drumming, stretched-out Tillman vocals, maybe a few synths dotted here and there.

The only reprieve in the last two-thirds of the album is the instrumental section/back half of Magic Mountain, which is utterly gorgeous and quite moving in its beauty.

Best thing I can say about it is that it's a lot better than Sun Kil Moon's shit stain of an album, but that's really not saying much at all.

I'm sure there's some lyrical takeaways or insights that are great but there's no chance I'm sitting through that again.

Okay so. It doesn't start too badly at all! Pure Comedy, Total Entertainment, Ballad of the Dying Man and Birdie are all pretty good. I'd say Ballad of the Dying Man is the highlight, and Pure Comedy is great once you get past the first two minutes.

Can definitely hear that 70s Elton John/Neil Young influence others have spoken about it. In fact, whenever there is music used on this album that isn't just piano notes played three seconds apart or slow and unmemorable acoustic guitar, it's quite great.

But I was right about most of it. Leaving LA, jesus christ. Who could possibly enjoy that. In fact from that song through until the end it's just incredibly boring. All those songs are largely exactly the same - background piano, meandering acoustic guitar, slow drumming, stretched-out Tillman vocals, maybe a few synths dotted here and there.

The only reprieve in the last two-thirds of the album is the instrumental section/back half of Magic Mountain, which is utterly gorgeous and quite moving in its beauty.

Best thing I can say about it is that it's a lot better than Sun Kil Moon's shit stain of an album, but that's really not saying much at all.

I'm sure there's some lyrical takeaways or insights that are great but there's no chance I'm sitting through that again.

Pretty balanced view.

I really enjoy the first 5 songs. I listened to the rest through once or twice, and doubt I will again. Such a shame because the first 5 are tops.

Yeah. Up until Leaving LA I was a little embarrassed about my previous posts to be honest, but it falls off a cliff at the point onwards.

But the second half of Magic Mountain is tremendous. Anyone else agree?

I would much rather the last Sun Kil Moon album exist than Pure Comedy. It's far more unique both musically (DUB-FOLK-HOP) and lyrically ("I can't say I ever liked Radiohead too much myself, but that doesn't mean I'd walk into a room with a crowbar and try to beat their fans to death").

Which isn't to say that either album is better than a 3/5. Both of them are riddled with problems.

Yeah. Up until Leaving LA I was a little embarrassed about my previous posts to be honest, but it falls off a cliff at the point onwards.

But the second half of Magic Mountain is tremendous. Anyone else agree?

Magic Mountain would have been a glorious finale, and yes I adore that outro. Unfortunately the last song is also extended in a similar way and kind of dilutes the power of what precedes it.

I would generally agree with that, though the lyrics of Leaving LA held my attention enough to make it a decent song. IMO the run from Paper Bag to The Memo could have been cut entirely.

I dunno, I like it better upon second listen. I have it another go today after seeing the video for Total Entertainment Forever.

Back
Top Bottom