Everyone Choose Sides (on The Wrens making a new album)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
This is some of the best news I've seen in a little while. 'Meadowlands' is absolutely beautiful, such a great album. Everyone should like The Wrens. Everyone.

Anyways, here's the info:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-07/22.shtml

The Wrens Prep EP, Album, and Tour
David Nadelle reports:
You would be forgiven to think a band like the Wrens, with well over a decade of steady touring, sporadic releases, unforgiving patches of bad luck, and label changes galore under their belts, would be just about ready to recede into the winter of their life, but you would also be mistaken. They may be approaching their twilight years as a band, but don't expect any pastel trousers, mesh slip-ons, or bingo outings with the "Golden Girls" any time soon. As Pitchfork found out recently, not only are plans to revamp and resusitate their Abbott 1135 EP continuing unabated (although certainly more slowly than the boys would prefer), but a new album is in the works; the first steps of recording are due to begin within the next two weeks. Pitchfork's own intrepid reporter Ryan Schreiber accosted, sorry, gently coaxed details about recording processes and upcoming developments out of the Wrens' singer/guitarist Charles Bissell last weekend in Chicago at something called the Intonation Festival:

Pitchfork: What's the deal with this EP?

Charles Bissell: It's a little bogged down at the moment...and the funny things is we just had a long talk with Cory [Brown, from Absolutely Kosher] about this, and I can't quite get it together the way we want to. The ironic thing is, we are about a week or two from starting the next record. It may end up where we have the EP done in August so we may it may end up kind of being open ended as far as what will come out first.

Pitchfork: How much new material do you have written for the next record?

Charles: [laughs] Ummm...none!

Pitchfork: Did you have songs pre-written then for the last few records or did you just come up with stuff in the studio?

Charles: On the last bunch it's always worked where we had a ton pre-written and then blitzed through them, assembled them, and recorded them. Then invariably over the course of time, go and change stuff-- whether it's several months with Secaucus or several years with The Meadowlands or something else with the EP. I just can't do that anymore...that's why I'm not worried about the songs. It always seemed to be the easy part, putting together two sections with four bars each and a catchy melody. Yeah, that's the easy part. Getting it to work the right way has always seemed been the hard part. That's what Les Savy Fav does so well, musically the songs format-wise are simple but it's what they do and how they do them live and those cool guitar parts that work so well.

Pitchfork: How many songs did you have to choose from for The Meadowlands before you put that out?

Charles: At that point we were stilling doing it that old way, like a really bastardized Lennon-McCartney way where you each show up with your songs. We probably showed each other in the band 25 songs each, which maybe 25 total were put together into working order...about 17 were recorded and then however many were on the record.

Pitchfork: So you are recording in the same way as always, with your home studio, and you will all convene there and start working on new stuff, right?

Charles: Exactly, our goal is to do it this time-- or at least as much as we can-- more like the way most bands do it. Prepare ahead of time what they want and then work with that and adjust a little, rather than recording some slapped ass version of the song and then fixing it all in overdubs.

Pitchfork: No projection on release then?

Charles: It's hard to say. I've never been this excited and had this many ideas about music in general in our band and what we want do. This is the only time in our life when I didn't have a full-time job and it's kind of a now or never kind of thing with productivity. I'd be really surprised if it came to the end of the year and it wasn't done.

Pitchfork: So the EP might come out after that?

Charles: It's hard to say, too. I still think in very simplistic terms as far as that stuff. We were told it might not be a good thing to release both of them too close to each other so maybe we'll push off the album till spring...

The New Jerseyites seem to get better with age live as well if their Intonation set was anything to go by. The bond between the band and crowd was irresistible, and the band pulled out all the stops, short of Cossack dancing, white tigers, and a guest vocal set by William Shatner, or did this reporter just miss those parts? Absolutely Kosher has added a few dates to the Wrens' touring schedule on the label's site.

07-21 Hoboken, NJ - Maxwell's, Jersey Beat Benefit
08-05 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club, Team Clermont's Summer Festival
08-06 Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
08-19 Cambridge, MA - The Middle East (with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up & Audible)
08-25 Houston, TX - mary jane's Fat Cats (with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up & Thane Matcek and his Band)
08-26 Austin, TX - (with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up & Centro-matic)
08-27 Denton, TX - Hailey's
09-09 Washington, DC - Black Cat
09-10 Charlottesville, VA - Satellite Ballroom (with the Dudley Corporation)
09-15 New York, NY - Mercury Lounge, Absolutely Kosher Showcase (with Goblin Cock, the Dudley Corporation, and Jim Yoshii Pile-Up)
09-24 Bryn Mawr, PA - Bryn Mawr College

Hooray!! I saw this on Pitchfork this morning and was ecstatic. Hoping to catch them live on the east coast. Zoney said they were super at Intonation.

barlowdog said:
Hoping to catch them live on the east coast. Zoney said they were super at Intonation.

If you do, I want major impressions. That goes to you too, Zoney. None of this "they were great" only type impressions!

Anyone have Seacaucus? I was looking up prices on it online today, looks like you cant buy it any cheaper than about $40. :huh:

From what I hear, they're still trying to get Secaucus back from their old label to put out themselves. Don't have it, but would love to hear it.

Let's hope that happens!

Quick, name your favorite songs from Meadownlands.

u2popmofo said:
If you do, I want major impressions. That goes to you too, Zoney. None of this "they were great" only type impressions!

Yeah...I tried to explain this to barlowdog last night.

This is going to sound like the lamest excuse ever....but the wind was blowing weird...and I was in the back of the crowd. The wind would swirl, and the sound would be swept away. They played an amazing set...I have wanting to hear them for some time. I do not have meadowlands...so I really can't comment on specific songs.

By the way...I grew up a few miles from Secaucus. Extra points if you can pronounce it like NYC Mayor Koch did in the late 80's.

u2popmofo said:
Let's hope that happens!

Quick, name your favorite songs from Meadownlands.

Hopeless
She Sends Kisses
This Boy is Exhausted
Everyone Choose Sides
Faster Gun
Thirteen Grand
Boys You Won't

Pretty much most of the album.

I will make sure Zoney gets The Meadowlands.

Wrens are great live, the lead singer has the energy of a 7 year old on Kool Aid. He jumps around like its his first show ever and loves to talk between tunes, even tell stories. Amazing band and live show....

The funny thing is.. Meadowlands is so damn good that I wouldn't mind if they never released anything again.

Nonetheless, this is really awesome news.. an extended EP and an album in.. well.. the next couple years probably.

I love the Wrens. love love love love love. I wrote a review of Meadowlands online and the drummer responded to it and said he was so thankful to hear anything about their album and told me to come up and say hi if I ever made it to one of their shows. And I almost swooned in glee. What the hell is he thanking me for? They're the ones who made one of the best albums ever. yeesh.

Elvis Presley said:
Wrens are great live, the lead singer has the energy of a 7 year old on Kool Aid. He jumps around like its his first show ever and loves to talk between tunes, even tell stories. Amazing band and live show....

Goddamnit I really want to see them.

I saw the Notwist in 2003 and found out later that the Wrens were playing in the same club but upstairs that night. Glad i didn't know then (and didn't love the wrens quite so much then) cause I would have had one bastard hell of a decision. They need to come back to Ontario. need need need.

I guess a new album should give them the excuse to do so! :)

So Skeek, what's Seacaucus like in comparison to what I'd know? Rockier? Just as good? Worse? Better?

I know what you mean about being ok if they never did anything else again. Sometimes your fanship/love of a certain album/band can be tarnished if they release something subpar, I've certainly had that happen to me with other groups.

Anyways, Meadowlands is indeed fantastic. It seriously is one of those albums that I cant help but like it even more with each listen.

I really haven't listened to seacaucus very much.. maybe 3 or 4 times in about a year. It's probably very good, but I just love the Meadowlands so much I end up putting it on if I'm in a Wrens mood. Maybe in 6 months I'll come around :p

i decided to give seacaucus another listen in honour of the post i made.. and it's really sweet. just to pass that along.

So this was the only Wrens thread I could find, but the title was fitting so I'm going to use it.

Here's a nice little Wrens rarity, an acoustic version of Everyone Choose Sides, with a box of Captain Crunch used as percussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unzN5oLwZdw

Barlowdog, hopefully you also have the Seacaucus reissue now.

Thanks! For what it's worth, though, I think it's time for us to admit that there never will be another Wrens record...at least not for the next ten years, or so. Damned Okkervil River...!

Zonemeister, I have two requests:

1. Please post more in Bang & Clatter.
2. Please tell Barlowdog to post more in Bang & Clatter.

Those two things would make me Happy. (there, I brought it back to The Wrens) :wink:

I have been listening to The Meadowlands quite a bit, recently, for reasons I don't fully understand. It's always been a winter record, for me, but this spring seems to be telling me to pull it out a lot more than usual.

Anyway, I don't know how else to sum up my still-ridiculous enthusiasm for the record than by summing up my favorites of the musical decade, thus far...and only at this precise moment, as I guess it's all quite subject to change (not to mention subject to the limitations of my own memory of the literally hundreds of records from this decade to which I've listened). By putting it all on the table, I'm hoping to create some context for anybody who may be baffled by the overwhelming enthusiasm that a few people on this forum regularly display for this record. It's a stunner, and more stunning than many other such records, in recent memory. I'm including 2000 as part of this decade, too, for what it's worth.

1) Radiohead, Kid A

2) The Hold Steady, Separation Sunday

3) The Fiery Furnaces, Blueberry Boat

4) The Streets, A Grand Don't Come For Free

5) Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It In People

6) Super Furry Animals, Rings Around the World

7) The Wrens, The Meadowlands

8) The Hold Steady, Boys & Girls In America

9) Sleater-Kinney, The Woods

10) M.I.A., Kala

Over the years, many people have been made aware, we'll say, of my disgusting adoration of these particular records. Just imagine how much I was freaking the fuck out about that Hold Steady record, in 2006, and know that I think that The Meadowlands is actually BETTER than that! Really, if you haven't listened to this thing, then please do so. You will thank me later...again and again and again.

zonelistener said:

I need to find this. It is too bad I have moved so far away from Barlowdog. :D

All you need to do is ask. Do you still have the same phone number and/or email? I believe I still have that information somewhere.

u2popmofo said:
Zonemeister, I have two requests:

1. Please post more in Bang & Clatter.
2. Please tell Barlowdog to post more in Bang & Clatter.

Those two things would make me Happy. (there, I brought it back to The Wrens) :wink:

I don't see Zoney around here enough either. I got married last year and just don't seem to have as much time. And, as much as I miss my internet time, I love my wife more than my computer (she's standing right here looking over my shoulder).

And finally, I don't think Charles involvement with Okkervil River is going to prevent a new Wrens record from eventually coming out. Maybe in 2009. We can only hope.... and pester the Wrens on their site. http://wrens.com/

If you shout... said:

1) Radiohead, Kid A

2) The Hold Steady, Separation Sunday

3) The Fiery Furnaces, Blueberry Boat

4) The Streets, A Grand Don't Come For Free

5) Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It In People

6) Super Furry Animals, Rings Around the World

7) The Wrens, The Meadowlands

8) The Hold Steady, Boys & Girls In America

9) Sleater-Kinney, The Woods

10) M.I.A., Kala

This inspired me a bit. The 2000's. Todays rankings:

1. Modest Mouse...........The Moon and Antarctica
2. Arcade Fire.................Funeral
3. Radiohead..................Kid A
4. The Wrens.................The Meadowlands
5. Okkervil River.............Black Sheep Boy
6. The Hold Steady.........Boys and Girls in America
7. Fugazi........................The Argument
8. Death Cab for Cutie...Transatlanticism
9. The Jealous Sound.....Kill Them with Kindness
10. Bloc Party...............Silent Alarm

It was really difficult not to keep going into a top 20, 30 or 50, but I suppose that can wait for the end of the decade.

I agree with barlowdog, I'm really doubting he would have decided to go play some shows with Okkervil if it was going to cause problems or delays with anything else they're doing.

I really like both of your "favs of the decade" lists. As I'm too anal and terrible at making lists, I'm not going to try my own, but I'll say that Meadowlands would DEFINITELY be on the list if I did make one.

Honestly, Meadowlands would probably be on an "all time favorite albums" list for me as well. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

u2popmofo said:

Honestly, Meadowlands would probably be on an "all time favorite albums" list for me as well. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. It wouldn't be, like, in my all time top 10, but it's definitely somewhere in the top 30, or so.

...And I listen to a shitload of music, so top 30 (or so) is quite the accomplishment, statistically speaking.

Yayayayayayayayayayayayayay! I'll be buying this song tonight.

The Wrens Are Back! (For Real This Time, They Swear) | Pitchfork

Yesterday, the Wrens re-launched their website with a new song and a promise. The song? "Pulled Fences", recorded live at Abbey Road Studios in London for the satellite radio show WorldSpace Sessions. The song is literally brand new; they made it up on the spot based on the chords for "In Turkish Waters", the demo song that appears on that Lifted Brow compilation. You can read all about the process here. (Thanks to Jon Loeb for the heads-up.)

"Pulled Fences" is available for purchase now as a download via the Wrens' site, the Absolutely Kosher site, iTunes, and Amazon.

The promise? A new album will be relesed this year. We've been hearing that for quite awhile. But this time, it might actually happen. They're set to hit the studio to record the follow-up to 2003's The Meadowlands on Monday, January 19. A press release from Absolutely Kosher says, "The album is schedule[d] for release in late spring. And by 'scheduled,' we mean...fingers crossed." Uh oh-- if the record label is saying "fingers crossed," that's not a good sign.

As for touring plans, the band expects to hit SXSW 2009. With a brand new set, right, guys?

Is it the same as that Pulled Fences track I posted about last week? I was less than impressed with that.

Meadowlands is still soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Back
Top Bottom