Elton John in the 90's!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad: His 90's stuff never gets enough love! :grumpy:

angelordevil :hi5:

Hell, yeah. :hi5: :wink:

The only thing of his I really dislike is the remaking of Candle in the Wind..."Goodbye England's Rose," or whatever it was. Even though it was a genuine tribute to Diana, I always get grouchy when I hear it, for some strange reason...I think it was just overplayed.

I was a huge Elton fan all during the 70's. I remember waiting at the record store for them to put the Captain Fantastic albums out to get my copy, and then just wow listening to it for the 1st time. (No beach clips to spoil the surprise :wink: )
I really started losing interest after Blue Moves though and by the 90's I knew nothing about his stuff until The Lion King because I had young kids by then and that was pretty cool to hear him again.

I have to say though I saw him on his 1998 tour and :up: amazing show. Might be the only other concert besides U2 I have been to that we were on our feet for the entire show.

I enjoy all eras of Elton John, hits and non hits. I saw him live in the early 90's though and didn't much enjoy the show but we had nosebleed seats and he pretty much came out on stage, sat at his piano playing for exactly 90 minutes and there wasn't much interaction with the audience at all. I think that was during his bad times. I have all his albums, cds and his boxed set. He's had some great songs, especially Candle in the Wind. I hear some of his music and it can take me back to a moment in time in my life. I love that about music. :heart:

I have to agree with almost everyone here, to me, the 90's were Elton's weakest decade. However, I do agree with Zoots about one thing - the song The One is absolutely gorgeous, haunting, etc. It's one of my favourites by him. His Disney output (that's pretty much the way I lump the whole decade of his 90's material) is resoundingly meh to me. When you look at the 90's for him, it was mostly soundtracks and a duets album for him. I suppose if that's your thing, that's fine, but it was a little too adult contemporary for my liking. But, he must have seen some artistic value in doing the work, and I can certainly see why others would enjoy it. He has some really solid material in the 80's, too, with Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny), I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues and I'm Still Standing among them. As others have noted, in the 2000's he returned to something closer to his 70's singer - songwriter form with Songs From the West Coast, Peachtree Road, and The Captain and The Kid.

Bottom line: it's Elton Fucking John. No matter which decade you listen to, you really can't go wrong.

I remember when my dad got the Made in England record and would rock it in the car and at home early and often, 7-year-old impy in tow.

I still have fond childhood memories of a lot of those songs. Especially Pain, House, Latitude, and Blessed.

But I'll agree with pfan or LeMel or whoever said it: Tumbleweed Connection is fucking fantastic. "My Father's Gun" is my favorite Elton song ever.

My Father's Gun is my second favorite EJ track, right after Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Fucking EPIC. "I wanna go where the riverboat sails tonight..."

Although Elton's 90s work produced some excellent singles, it suffers in terms of album coherence. As already mentioned, however, the 70s produced a string of incredibly consistent albums - most notably "Tumbleweed" and "Don't Shoot Me." I would rank the period of 70-75 among the greatest any artist has ever produced.

Kind of funny, my brother and I were actually having a discussion about how terrible Elton John's music from the nineties was today, and then I come home to this. What a laff!

I like those singles I posted! I don't care what anyone says!
sulk.gif

:hug: Zoots :hug:

This is another one for my 1989-1995 thread. Yeah he put out some good stuff in those years.

I won't disagree that "The One" and "Believe" are great songs, but has anyone ever attempted to listen to the albums whence they came all the way through? They really do not hold up to Tumbleweed, Yellow Brick Road, or, for that matter, Songs from the West Coast.

I have soft spots for a few of his cheesy 80s stuff too, especially I'm Still Standing.

There are some great songs from the 80s. Blue Eyes, Still Standing, I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues, I Don't Want to Go on with You Like That, and even little-known songs like Carla/Etude rank amongst his best work.

'Healing Hands' (was that '89 or '90?) and 'The Last Song' are two of my favourite Elton songs. Right up there with 'Philadelphia Freedom' and 'Bennie And The Jets' in my eyes! I saw him play in Hong Kong this May and even with pneumonia (or so he claimed) he was awesome!

Of Elton's 90's output, The One was my favorite song from him.

I liked The Lion King movie, but I wasn't a big fan of the soundtrack.

Back
Top Bottom