Elton John in the 90's!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I know that his classic 70's material is well respected here and talked about a lot. So I wanted to bring to your attention some of his excellent work in the 90's... these are songs I grew up with!

YouTube - Elton John - The OneWhat a gorgeous melody! :heart:

YouTube - Elton John - Believe

YouTube - Elton John -Made In EnglandFun song and video!

YouTube - Elton John - Something about the way you look tonightLove song that stands with his best!

YouTube - Elton John can you feel the love tonight

YouTube - Elton John, Circle of LifeJust... Epic!

And last but not least... this is not technically from the 90s ('89) but this is the song that got me into his music I think...

YouTube - elton john sacrifice

appreciate. :drool:

Yeah, those songs from the Lion King kick ass. Were those the only two he wrote for it? Because there's some other good tunes in that movie.

Those are the only 2 I know. But boy, does Circle Of Life kick ass! :drool:

Ah, holy shit. I just Wikipedia'd it and apparently Elton and Tim Rice wrote ALL the songs for Lion King including the classics I Just Can't Wait To Be King, Be Prepared, and Hakuna Matata.

Score one for the big E.J.!!!

Have you given these songs a chance? The One and Circle Of Life are especially fantastic! The One may be my favorite Elton John song of all time!

It all sort of sounds the same to me. I've seen the Lion King several times, so I remember those tracks, and The One is a little too synthy for me.

I remember liking This Train Don't Stop There Anymore though.

I remember liking This Train Don't Stop There Anymore though.

Figures - that's from 2001, when his albums became more consistent again. He's had a very good decade so far.

That said, I thought the Made In England album was pretty good. More guitar driven than in the years that immediately preceded it.

And while other songs are good here and there, he got a bit too sappy for me at times. I'd even say that he had stronger material in the 80's.

Of course, the 70's are by far the best.

Yeah, I did not really even get into Elton until the mid-80's.....and was completemy blown away by the purity of his voice, it was truly wonderful. I cannot claim to really dig his 90's stuff, though. Just not that appealing to me. :shrug:

VP knows:

Someone Saved My Life Tonight :drool:

70's + Songs From the West Coast + The Captain & The Kid

The 90's stuff is pretty trite, in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who saw him on The One tour.

Elton John is one of my all-time favorite artists. Any period, any music. He's simply one of the most talented singer/song-writers of all time. His 70s work will always be my favorite, but I'll listen to anything and everything he puts out. Long live Elton.:love:

To each their own but you guys don't like songs like The One, Believe, Made In England, Circle Of Life etc.? I find the 70s material a little boring sometimes but these songs sound so fresh to me!

Figures - that's from 2001, when his albums became more consistent again. He's had a very good decade so far.

So I've heard. I'm mostly stuck on the 70's material, with a few songs from each decade following.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Tumbleweed Connection are absolute masterpieces. I will say that much.

YouTube - Elton John can you feel the love tonight

YouTube - Elton John, Circle of LifeJust... Epic!

And last but not least... this is not technically from the 90s ('89) but this is the song that got me into his music I think...

YouTube - elton john sacrifice

appreciate. :drool:

Elton. :sad: Wish I was seeing him when he plays here, but he sold-out the venue in microseconds.

The Lion King, and Summer of '94 go hand-in-hand...I remember those songs so well. That summer, I was running a little antique store very close to our house...my sister would drop my lunch off to me everyday on her bike. I knew a great sandwich was extremely close at hand when I started hearing lyrics from that soundtrack echoing down the road.

Sacrifice: I listened to that practically every day after school when it was released! I did some serious lypsynching into a hairbrush, if I recall. :wink: My mom worked at a radio station and brought home the CD single. I forget the other song on it, but I remember seeing "radio edit" written on the disc, and thinking how privileged I was to have that in my possession...haha! Memories.

The '90s stuff is a little more calculated, but go tell that to a kid! They were songs that truly had brain-seeping power.

Back
Top Bottom