Elbow - Leaders of the Free World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have you tried driving or operating heavy machinery while listening to this? They should put a warning on the CD or something :tsk:

No, but one has to be careful on a treadmill, too, and so far the blaring horns have not caused a humiliating treadmill experience. Adjusting the volume in time is key.

I actually fell off of a treadmill once because my iPod had been turned up full blast accidentally while I was talking to someone while running. Luckily I kept on my feet and didn't do a swan dive....

I've never been on a treadmill :reject: but when I hook my iPod up to my car through the auxiliary jack it requires me to turn up my volume all the way. Sometimes I forget to turn it down the next day - hilarity (as well as hearing and possible brain damage) ensue!

I've had my Ally McBeal (or Lucy Ricardo is more like it) treadmill moments, and they have all involved the iPod. :grumpy:

And as for calling Elbow "britpop" :shame: :tsk: No way.

I hate to split hairs, but I never said that Elbow was a Britpop band. :shame: I mean, we all know that Britpop died a messy death in 1998 (This is Hardcore) in the bloody, chummy wake of the previous year's Be Here Now. The Elbeezy can't be a Britpop band, for fuck's sake, hence the sounds kind of like Britpop-nuveau tag (whiffs of the various guises of Doves, Coldplay, the other Bends-indebted bands, etc.; i think that I hear some Mazzy Star, too, every now and again). :tsk:

:wink:

I mistakenly thought your screen name was Powerhouse on here for a month or two, so I like to make inside jokes with words that start with "h" that no one understands but me in regards to that mistake. No harm intended, I am not called "scumbo" for nothing. I think I'm crazy, maybe.

Agreed, it's really not that bad. Some of my absolute favorite Elbow songs are on it (Switching Off, Not a Job, Grace Under Pressure), but it's just obviously weaker than the other albums.

OK, yeah I caught the house part, the rest was lost on me.

As for Starling, and An Audience With the Pope, I like them a lot, the Fix isn't one of their best tracks and the vocal melody is odd, but its not a poor track and doesn't stick out from the rest of the album as a bad thing.

I've never been on a treadmill :reject: but when I hook my iPod up to my car through the auxiliary jack it requires me to turn up my volume all the way. Sometimes I forget to turn it down the next day - hilarity (as well as hearing and possible brain damage) ensue!

Ugh, I've done that way too many times, but never would I describe the experience as "hilarity". You'd think I'd have conditioned myself to being sure before playing it on headphones, but every once in awhile that still happens. :doh:

I hate to split hairs, but I never said that Elbow was a Britpop band. :shame: I mean, we all know that Britpop died a messy death in 1998 (This is Hardcore) in the bloody, chummy wake of the previous year's Be Here Now. The Elbeezy can't be a Britpop band, for fuck's sake, hence the sounds kind of like Britpop-nuveau tag (whiffs of the various guises of Doves, Coldplay, the other Bends-indebted bands, etc.; i think that I hear some Mazzy Star, too, every now and again). :tsk:

:wink:

OK, I did notice the use of "nuveau", I guess I haven't really heard many current bands called that, Coldplay being the exception. So when I see britpop I think Oasis-type music, which is much less varied artistically than Elbow, and way more catchy and sellable.

I started laughing when I noticed Elbow in the background when I saw it, interesting song choice. Glad I could find a link. Not sure what's with all the "music in video game trailers" posts I'm making lately.

I've rediscovered my obsession with "Mexican Standoff" this afternoon... this is a good thing.

Some annoying girl kept screaming "Mexican Standoff" between every song at the show I went to earlier this year. Guy finally told her, "We're not going to play Mexican Stand off, please stop". I laughed.

Hahaha. The annoying girl however doesn't diminish the awesomeness of the song, maybe the band don't like it as much as the fans do, it was never a single either.

I still haven't listened to this band. Primarily, I've only heard anything about them from indie kids, and I never know if I can trust them.... :hmm:

So I finally picked up Leaders of the Free World. I have not had the kind of instant "omg I love it I have to hear it again right now" response I had to both Asleep in the Back and Seldom Seen Kid but I am enjoying it and still getting to know it.

Meanwhile, I've developed some kind of Holy cow I love your eyes Tourette's Syndrome.

Haha, yeah I haven't played a single song so much like "One Day Like This" in a long time without killing it.

Also, this is an artistically impressive, beautiful sounding band, ignore the pretension that indie kids might add to their image, they aren't pretentious or annoyingly bad indie.

So I finally picked up Leaders of the Free World. I have not had the kind of instant "omg I love it I have to hear it again right now" response I had to both Asleep in the Back and Seldom Seen Kid but I am enjoying it and still getting to know it.

We probably over-hyped it for you, I think you'll come around though.

I was going to list the songs to listen for, and I realized I had only left 2 of the songs on the album out so I deleted it....

Put that way, I think I'd only say Puncture Repair. I was going to include The Stops originally because it's not one I ever find myself wanting to hear, but I wouldn't say "don't listen to it".

I like The Stops. :heart: What is wrong with you, mofo? :wink:

I made some headway with it on the treadmill this morning - Station Approach, Forget Myself, Leaders of the Free World, Mexican Standoff are all fantastic. I ran longer than I intended thanks to them.

The slow songs aren't quite clicking yet except for The Stops and The Everthere (what is that getting plucked?).

Back
Top Bottom