Elbow - Leaders of the Free World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish I could better explain why I like them. I'm of the opinion that the more I break down why I like a song or band, the more I'm ignoring the visceral impact of music, that which is not at all definable....but that's just me and maybe has to do with my total lack of eloquence when it comes to explaining why I like any piece of "art". I'm much better at telling you why player X is a better pitcher than player Y, etc.

But, in short strokes, their appeal to me has to do with his amazing voice, their rich and layered arrangements, the heartfelt lyrics, etc. I just find a lot of their songs to be achingly beautiful. I'm sure it's possible that there are other, similar bands that are good, better, etc, but perhaps I'm not exposed to them, or, simply, my ear prefers Elbow.

Recently, I've "discovered" a lot of music that U2popmofo has recommended to me, and people like yourself, IYS, and Impy have liked some of this stuff as well. Some of the stuff is just amazing, and I totally get why interlanders like them. But then there's the case of The Hold Steady, who you greatly love and who I heard at Lolla in 2007 and was completely bored by. I told posted that and you told me to give them a full listen, and because I respect your taste and your passion for music, I did, and then some.....I, like you with Elbow, felt that I was "supposed" to like them, but, no matter how many times I tried, no matter how much praise I read from you or GAF and others, I simply never got to a place where I came close to liking them. :shrug:

It just is what it is, at the end of the day.....wish I was more profound. :reject:

You can also add me into the Elbow > The Hold Steady camp, NSW. :wink:. Guy Garvey takes a really good, solid band and elevates them towards greatness with that fantastic voice of his. Their music covers a lot of stylistic ground, but thanks to excellent sequencing and consistent production, albums like The Seldom Seen Kid never come off as a hodgepodge. Definitely a great band, and I look forward to listening through more of their discography.

I don't see how the Hold Steady are comparable, I understand NSW's use of them in his explanation, but not for actually comparing the different bands, THS are a story telling in-your-face band, Elbow is nothing like them. I will say that I enjoy a lot of THS's songs ona listening level, but Elbow's artistry blows me away and they're more enjoyable to listen to...but that's not the point... comparisons don't matter.

While we're at it, I didn't get the The Clientele vs. Elbow comparison. Both rule, I just don't see much of a similarity. (other than ruling and being British)

Their previous two albums are both great (Strange Geometry and God Save The Clienetele), very retro '60's British Invasion mixed with modern indie sensibilities. I guess they do have a relaxing "chilled" feeling to them as well, which is similar to Elbow. I just don't see a similarity in sound or direction personally.

I didn't put God Save The Clientele on my year end list last year (just a honorable mention I think), but I would have them pretty high up there if I was go to back and adjust the list.

I think NSW was using THS more of an example of a band someone else was trying to talk him into liking, not comparing their music to Elbow's...

Yep. That's why I put the :wink: when I said I agreed with him; it's a ridiculous comparison, but I still agree with it.

I thought that it was pretty obvious that I was not, at all, comparing the bands. In fact, I just re-read it, and it is obvious. I'm not comparing the bands, at all, not even close......clearly.

I'm comparing the feeling of thinking that you are "supposed" to like a band, but simply do not.

I understood that, but then people responded "Elbow > Hold Steady" which is comparing them. Whatever, moving on, I have work to do I shouldn't be here, yet I am.

In case anybody cares, I listened to Leaders of the Free World and really, really enjoyed it. Not much of an evolution from that record to the still-terribly-underwhelming-to-me The Seldom Seen Kid, but I guess that it wasn't excitement or style or whatever else which I found to be lacking from the more recent release--it was just songs that I like/during which I can stay awake. It doesn't have many of those, and Leaders does.

I'm feeling people on the whole The Hold Steady thing, because I can easily relate to your feelings, as far as Elbow and everybody's love for the band goes. I do quite surprisingly like this Leaders record, but these guys are still generally way too Britpop-nuveau for my taste. I'll take this solid record and go, probably whittling it down to four or five essential tracks, as the years go by. I offer genuine thanks to everybody for explicating the reasons for their respective affinities for the band--I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially on songs like "Forget Myself" (Doves-esque, that one, no?), "Mexican Standoff," "Station Approach," and, yes, even moments of "Mirroball," from the new one. Good-ass stuff, all the way. I leave you to your business.

Leaders is far and away my favorite too, IYS. To be honest, I don't like Seldom quite as much as many here, and I too have already started "not listening" to a number of the tracks from it. Regardless, I still think it's a solid and very enjoyable album. It'll likely end up somewhere on my year end list unless a bunch of new favorites arrive in the next 2 months.

In case anybody cares, I listened to Leaders of the Free World and really, really enjoyed it. Not much of an evolution from that record to the still-terribly-underwhelming-to-me The Seldom Seen Kid, but I guess that it wasn't excitement or style or whatever else which I found to be lacking from the more recent release--it was just songs that I like/during which I can stay awake. It doesn't have many of those, and Leaders does.

I'm feeling people on the whole The Hold Steady thing, because I can easily relate to your feelings, as far as Elbow and everybody's love for the band goes. I do quite surprisingly like this Leaders record, but these guys are still generally way too Britpop-nuveau for my taste. I'll take this solid record and go, probably whittling it down to four or five essential tracks, as the years go by. I offer genuine thanks to everybody for explicating the reasons for their respective affinities for the band--I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially on songs like "Forget Myself" (Doves-esque, that one, no?), "Mexican Standoff," "Station Approach," and, yes, even moments of "Mirroball," from the new one. Good-ass stuff, all the way. I leave you to your business.

For whatever it's worth, Leaders is easily my favorite Elbow album. EASILY.

Send it in!!!!

ROFLCOPTER-1.gif

For me it's Seldom Seen Kid barely edging out Asleep in the Back, then Leaders, then Cast of Thousands which is still pretty darn good. And as for calling Elbow "britpop" :shame: :tsk: No way.

All that matters is that Cast of Thousands should always be mentioned last, Powerhousehourhitler.

Hitler? Didn't think I'd notice that, and I thought we were friends :shame:

But the lowest ranked album from a band like that is better than a lot of other material out there.

Well, given how much I like "Asleep in the Back" and "The Seldom Seen Kid," I am reaalllly excited to get "Leaders of the Free World" which I haven't been able to find around town yet. :mad: I love "The Seldom Seen Kid" but I have to admit after having it going nonstop in my car for the last week or so, some of the songs still kind of blend into each other and I have to keep looking at the tracklist to see what I'm listening to. But I still quite enjoy it.

I mistakenly thought your screen name was Powerhouse on here for a month or two, so I like to make inside jokes with words that start with "h" that no one understands but me in regards to that mistake. No harm intended, I am not called "scumbo" for nothing. I think I'm crazy, maybe.

Agreed, it's really not that bad. Some of my absolute favorite Elbow songs are on it (Switching Off, Not a Job, Grace Under Pressure), but it's just obviously weaker than the other albums.

Seldom Seen Kid songs elfa no like:

Starlings - the song isn't too bad but the blaring horns still kind of bug me, especially on my headphones first thing in the morning :tsk:

An Audience With The Pope - Not a bad song but not all that remarkable imo

The Fix - I'm not crazy about the other guy singing with him

Starlings - the song isn't too bad but the blaring horns still kind of bug me, especially on my headphones first thing in the morning :tsk:

I love the blaring horns. I wait for the blaring horns. It's precisely that kind of unexpected turn that makes me love Elbow.

An Audience With The Pope - Not a bad song but not all that remarkable imo

The Fix - I'm not crazy about the other guy singing with him

I agree with your last two, I like Starlings though (as you already know). :wink:

Back
Top Bottom