Elbow - Leaders of the Free World... - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:47 AM
I wish I could better explain why I like them. I'm of the opinion that the more I break down why I like a song or band, the more I'm ignoring the visceral impact of music, that which is not at all definable....but that's just me and maybe has to do with my total lack of eloquence when it comes to explaining why I like any piece of "art". I'm much better at telling you why player X is a better pitcher than player Y, etc.

But, in short strokes, their appeal to me has to do with his amazing voice, their rich and layered arrangements, the heartfelt lyrics, etc. I just find a lot of their songs to be achingly beautiful. I'm sure it's possible that there are other, similar bands that are good, better, etc, but perhaps I'm not exposed to them, or, simply, my ear prefers Elbow.

Recently, I've "discovered" a lot of music that U2popmofo has recommended to me, and people like yourself, IYS, and Impy have liked some of this stuff as well. Some of the stuff is just amazing, and I totally get why interlanders like them. But then there's the case of The Hold Steady, who you greatly love and who I heard at Lolla in 2007 and was completely bored by. I told posted that and you told me to give them a full listen, and because I respect your taste and your passion for music, I did, and then some.....I, like you with Elbow, felt that I was "supposed" to like them, but, no matter how many times I tried, no matter how much praise I read from you or GAF and others, I simply never got to a place where I came close to liking them.

It just is what it is, at the end of the day.....wish I was more profound.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:47 PM
I think you all are doing a pretty good job at explaining it. The reasons you've posted are pretty much the same for me.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #183
The Male

You can also add me into the Elbow > The Hold Steady camp, NSW. . Guy Garvey takes a really good, solid band and elevates them towards greatness with that fantastic voice of his. Their music covers a lot of stylistic ground, but thanks to excellent sequencing and consistent production, albums like The Seldom Seen Kid never come off as a hodgepodge. Definitely a great band, and I look forward to listening through more of their discography.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:47 PM
I don't see how the Hold Steady are comparable, I understand NSW's use of them in his explanation, but not for actually comparing the different bands, THS are a story telling in-your-face band, Elbow is nothing like them. I will say that I enjoy a lot of THS's songs ona listening level, but Elbow's artistry blows me away and they're more enjoyable to listen to...but that's not the point... comparisons don't matter.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier

I think NSW was using THS more of an example of a band someone else was trying to talk him into liking, not comparing their music to Elbow's...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #186
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:47 AM
While we're at it, I didn't get the The Clientele vs. Elbow comparison. Both rule, I just don't see much of a similarity. (other than ruling and being British)
Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier

now I have to go listen to Clientele
Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #188
Blue Meth Addict

Their previous two albums are both great (Strange Geometry and God Save The Clienetele), very retro '60's British Invasion mixed with modern indie sensibilities. I guess they do have a relaxing "chilled" feeling to them as well, which is similar to Elbow. I just don't see a similarity in sound or direction personally.

I didn't put God Save The Clientele on my year end list last year (just a honorable mention I think), but I would have them pretty high up there if I was go to back and adjust the list.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #189
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I think NSW was using THS more of an example of a band someone else was trying to talk him into liking, not comparing their music to Elbow's...
Yep. That's why I put the when I said I agreed with him; it's a ridiculous comparison, but I still agree with it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #190
Blue Meth Addict

I personally feel that Elbow is better than Hoobastank.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life

Lies and blasphemy!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #192
Blue Crack Supplier

I thought that it was pretty obvious that I was not, at all, comparing the bands. In fact, I just re-read it, and it is obvious. I'm not comparing the bands, at all, not even close......clearly.

I'm comparing the feeling of thinking that you are "supposed" to like a band, but simply do not.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I personally feel that Elbow is better than Hoobastank.
I personally feel that I am better than you
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

I understood that, but then people responded "Elbow > Hold Steady" which is comparing them. Whatever, moving on, I have work to do I shouldn't be here, yet I am.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In case anybody cares, I listened to Leaders of the Free World and really, really enjoyed it. Not much of an evolution from that record to the still-terribly-underwhelming-to-me The Seldom Seen Kid, but I guess that it wasn't excitement or style or whatever else which I found to be lacking from the more recent release--it was just songs that I like/during which I can stay awake. It doesn't have many of those, and Leaders does.

I'm feeling people on the whole The Hold Steady thing, because I can easily relate to your feelings, as far as Elbow and everybody's love for the band goes. I do quite surprisingly like this Leaders record, but these guys are still generally way too Britpop-nuveau for my taste. I'll take this solid record and go, probably whittling it down to four or five essential tracks, as the years go by. I offer genuine thanks to everybody for explicating the reasons for their respective affinities for the band--I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially on songs like "Forget Myself" (Doves-esque, that one, no?), "Mexican Standoff," "Station Approach," and, yes, even moments of "Mirroball," from the new one. Good-ass stuff, all the way. I leave you to your business.

Tags
elbow