Elbow - Leaders of the Free World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KOL = Krap Out Loud. I would MUCH rather have seen Dashboard Confessional in comparison.

not having seen KOL I have a feeling I dodged a bullet…

Still, I would have rather watched a tone-deaf roadie sing With or Without you over and over again then DC though... They were so bad and LOUD, I brought earplugs for the second show :tsk:

I hated KOL. After waiting in line all day for two shows, first in 103 degrees in Phoenix, then in sleet and hail in Denver, having to endure KOL was just plain mean.

They were decent on SNL this fall but on the Elevation tour, I nearly had an anxiety attack waiting for it to be over.

I loved PJ opening for U2 when I was close up but otherwise she got lost in those venues. I vaguely remember seeing the Sugarcubes and Public Enemy opening for U2 during ZooTV and remember that I was supposed to be excited about this but I just wanted U2. As much as I would love seeing Elbow open for U2, ultimately it would be frustrating because people just aren't into opening bands in arenas and I'd be annoyed with everyone around me for not listening. Plus people are still looking for their seats and shit. In case I haven't said it lately, I am against opening acts. :grumpy:

As much as I would love seeing Elbow open for U2, ultimately it would be frustrating because people just aren't into opening bands in arenas and I'd be annoyed with everyone around me for not listening. Plus people are still looking for their seats and shit. In case I haven't said it lately, I am against opening acts. :grumpy:

It depends on the match up and the types of fans, but no matter what, you can never please everyone with an opener. I figured absolutely no one would enjoy a completely instrumental post-rock band opening for The Cure, but they actually got the loudest and best reception of any opening group I saw for any other band this year. Every single song resulted in enormous applause. Granted, 65dos sounded amazing, but I was still shocked. Conversely, at Coldplay we had some douchebag annoying drunk old fart sitting on our row booing the opening acts despite everyone else around us applauding and cheering.

I sadly agree that U2 fans probably wouldn't be all that nice to Elbow...

It depends on the match up and the types of fans, but no matter what, you can never please everyone with an opener. I figured absolutely no one would enjoy a completely instrumental post-rock band opening for The Cure, but they actually got the loudest and best reception of any opening group I saw for any other band this year. Every single song resulted in enormous applause. Granted, 65dos sounded amazing, but I was still shocked. Conversely, at Coldplay we had some douchebag annoying drunk old fart sitting on our row booing the opening acts despite everyone else around us applauding and cheering.

I sadly agree that U2 fans probably wouldn't be all that nice to Elbow...

In my experience if you have a good seat and are close to the stage, people (including me) appreciate the opener more.

So I finally completed my Elbow collection today when I bought A Cast of Thousands during lunch. I'll have an update after I've had a chance to listen to it. What song(s) should I pay attention to right away?

In my experience if you have a good seat and are close to the stage, people (including me) appreciate the opener more.

So I finally completed my Elbow collection today when I bought A Cast of Thousands during lunch. I'll have an update after I've had a chance to listen to it. What song(s) should I pay attention to right away?

Switching Off and Not a Job.

See if you can tell what the choir is singing at the end of Grace Under Pressure.

I've never liked Cast of Thousands. That's partially why I've always felt Leaders of the Free World was so amazing, it was such an amazing "come back" after Cast.

I actually find myself loving that album more and more as time goes by, all their work grows on me, but that album especially.

I was just reading old reviews over on Pitchfork (yes, I know...) and was surprised/notsurprisedbyanythingpitchforky that they gave Leaders the lowest rating of all the Elbow records when it seems to be the favorite here.

I haven't had a chance to listen to all of Cast yet but from the first few songs (besides Ribcage which I've always loved) it does sound like a grower instead of an immediate love.

Would you really say people list it as their favorite around here? To me it seems there's a general consensus their debut and latest are better than the middle two, but I love them all for different reasons.

See if you can tell what the choir is singing at the end of Grace Under Pressure.

I cheated and looked. :wink: But that song got my attention right away.

After a couple listens today I can say I think Cast of Thousands is pretty freaking solid. :up:

Not a Job is great.

^You forgot one of the best songs in the last decade:
One Day Like This :heart: :drool: :love: :up: :applaud: :hyper:

^You forgot one of the best songs in the last decade:
One Day Like This :heart: :drool: :love: :up: :applaud: :hyper:

:yes:

Seldom Seen Kid vs. Leaders of the Free World ... it's still more or less a toss-up for me. So many fantastic songs on both of them, and nothing on either that I don't like.

Maybe I'll listen to all of Elbow's records in a row this weekend. :hyper:

:yes:

Seldom Seen Kid vs. Leaders of the Free World ... it's still more or less a toss-up for me. So many fantastic songs on both of them, and nothing on either that I don't like.

Maybe I'll listen to all of Elbow's records in a row this weekend. :hyper:

Once I've listened all four albuns in a day
That day the list got pretty clear to me:
#1) The Seldom Seen Kid
#2) Leaders of the Free World
#3) Asleep In the Back
#4) Cast of Thousands

By the way, I don't know if that's allowed (I don't think so) but if anyone can tell me where to find B-sides and stuff like that from them I would appreciate. I've already tried torrents, etc.; but I can't find b-sides from the Kid era.

Back
Top Bottom