Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Seldom Seen Kid was the finest album of the decade for me.

..which made BARB! an inevitable let down, I've gotta say, because it's nowhere near as good as it's predecessor. That said, if Elbow properly sparked that you in the past, BARB! will still satisfy, as it does for me.

Open Arms is brilliant, there are some great live performances on You Tube from their recent tour of Pommy Land. The River remains the unheralded gem, a pleasant number.

But The Birds, Neat Little Rows, With Love and Lippy Kids don't have the longevity of enjoyment all the songs off the Seldom Seen Kid and Leaders Of The World have. I actually find The Birds somewhat annoying.

Still early days though.. I am still listening to the album every week.

The album has definitely went downhill for me. I love the first two tracks and the last one but the rest is pretty meh.

I got a Q magazine today with the Elbow interview in it, which had this lovely description of Guy Garvey:

Six-foot-two, shaggy and currently rocking an un-image he calls "Oliver Reed meets Stephen Fry", Guy Garvey carries with him his own personal fireside glow. You leave his company feeling that little bit warmer about the world.

It's a fairish assessment though. Garvey really is kind of un-image. He really does seem so damn ordinary, and almost default middle-aged guy pushing 40. But he does it well, and he just seems like the most fantastic bloke. I've never heard anyone speak ill of him in any way. I remember when he was on Spicks and Specks two years ago. it was all so unheralded, yet still he stole the show.

The suit he wears at shows, it's what you wear to a job interview, not what you wear on stage in front of 8000 fans,

That stripped back version of "Grounds for Divorce" blew me away. This band keeps getting better live every time I see them.

There is a Melbourne gig :D.
There has been talk about the Shitney sideshow for weeks, and I was concerned that it might be their only one but thankfully, they'll be playing the Palace in Melbourne .. Can't wait :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom