Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That whole album is frickin' perfection.

Need to spend some more time with the other three. Let's see if Cast of Thousands grows on me at all.

Speaking of that album, I heard 'Grace Under Pressure' being played on a local high school radio station around when that album came out, and died laughing. Apparently they hadn't paid attention to the lyrics.

Yeahhhhh, not their strongest track musically, either.

Their cover of Teardrop is rather aces, as is their cover of Running To Stand Still. Really looking forward to their cover of Peter Gabriel's Mercy Street, which is their answer to his cover of Mirrorball.

Yeah, I can't remember what Mirrorball sounds like... I'm going to listen to it now.

Cori, I've been loving your facebook posts, as I've been on a bit of an Elbow kick, too. A few weeks ago I had Leaders in the car for a while, and your posts have had me listening to Seldom Seen Kid this week. Maybe it's time to go back to the beginning.

0.jpg

Awesome, then my work here is done. I told my coworkers it was my mission this week to push that album on anyone I could, and they were all "Oh, is THAT what's going on with your Facebook?"

When you get the DVD, the audio commentary is worth a listen, too. Some funny stuff, some interesting musical stuff.

You know what's a bummer? Finding out the album isn't available as sheet music. There's a guitar tab book that I could use for such purposes, but it's $28 frickin' dollars. I prefer piano sheet music. Guess I'll be printing out those tabs you can easily find online and just going with chords to see if I can play around with them.

I have an urge to try and plunk out a version of Mirrorball that I can play and sing ... I've never done any sort of arrangement myself for anything, but what the hell. Even if I can just do the chords, it might be fun to try. We'll see if I can sing it in that key - it might be too low, and simply taking it up an octave will make it too high. Bah.

Just have to say that One Day Like This is one of the best songs ever. From anyone.

:hug:

If it makes you feel any better, their site says they're in the studio. So it's kind of almost like new album news.

Sorta.

Yeah, I can't remember what Mirrorball sounds like... I'm going to listen to it now.

I kind of have that response to Mirrorball as well. It kind of gets lost sandwiched between the greatness of the songs before and after it. :reject:

But I like it, now that I'm listening to it and go 'oh yeah, that's purty.'

This is going to sound so fucking cheesy and like schmoopy girl stuff, but I have to say it.

Listening to the lyrics for Starlings and Mirrorball make we want to fall deeply and madly in love.

Like, right now.

Better run, fellas. :shifty:

There isn't a single song on that album that I don't like.

Sums it up for me. Most of it I immediately liked just for the sheer instrumental beauty. Those I wasn't immediately drawn to pulled me in with the lyrical beauty.

[/gush]

The weakest link for me is the Fix, but even that one has a lot to like.

That's one of the things I like about it. :) But it does get maybe a little too close to broadway-musical-number for me. Not that I can't appreciate a broadway number, but it just seems a little out of place.

:drool:

Can't wait to hear what you think of it! Hope it lives up to all the hype. I'll take the blame if it doesn't, since I've done nothing all week but talk it up. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom