Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, on this new interference phone application, I cannot paste. The tracklisting for TTOALOE is up on amazon.co.uk, and there are only ten tracks this time.

Hopefully they are all of a higher quality than some of the songs from BARB

The Birds:

birdssuck.jpg

Iyup, did you ever get around to Leaders or Seldom Seen Kid?

I've heard Asleep in the Back, Cast of Thousands, and Seldom Seen Kid. I liked all of them, with my favorite probably being Asleep, but to be honest I didn't give them my full attention and should return to them soon.

I missed this completely. Great new single. As others have said, the second part is the best. Classic Elbow. Those backing vocals give it that little extra.

More of that please and less of the Open Arms stadium rock.

I wish Doves were releasing an album instead of Elbow, but I'll still gladly listen to this.

You really need to hear Leaders of the Free World, it's definitely my fav.

I hate to sound like a "the first album was better" hipster because I love most of what they've done, but Asleep in the Back is still my favorite.

I hate to sound like a "the first album was better" hipster because I love most of what they've done, but Asleep in the Back is still my favorite.

Newborn is probably my favorite Elbow song. :up:

Sent from my Nexus 5 (the best smart phone out there right now. Seriously, Samsung packs too many useless features that drain battery) using the new updated U2 Interference app that now shows signatures

That's right up there for me, but it's "Any Day Now" that hooked me into them, and I still love it to death.

Newborn is amazing. I like Asleep In the Back an awful lot, but vastly prefer Leaders of the Free World and Seldom Seen Kid.

Build a Rocket Boys is sadly very spotty, but man, when it's great, it's great. NSW, you still need to tell us about The Birds.

I'm listening to Leaders right now.

I think we dropped the baton like the 60s didn't happen, oh no!

Oh man, ok.

So, the Birds...

I think that this might be a one of a kind song for me, in that, I have 3 different impressions as the song progresses. I'm used to 2, like, certain songs start slow and you're like "this is cool" and then they explode into something awesome etc...but 3 is a new one for me.

But it's not just 3 different feelings, it's that two are so opposite ends of the enjoyment spectrum that really get me. And, thankfully, it ends better than it starts. Anyway, here's how it is for me:

First few minutes - Decent beginning, not anything to write home about but pleasant enough. You can tell that it will change pace eventually, so, you wait around for it and...

Middle few minutes - it devolves into a fairly boring, if not painful stretch of music. Might be my least favorite few minutes of Elbow's music. I know this is subjective, some of you might dig it, but for me, it's just not easy to listen to. However, what follows is...

The last few minutes - Some of the most gorgeous music/singing I'll ever hear from a rock band. It just opens up so wide and so beautifully, and some of the notes that Garvey holds break my heart. It's just perfect. I could listen to it on repeat for a very long time.

So, anyway, yeah, cannot really think of another song that makes me feel meh, then ugh, then OMG.

That's all.

huh, that wasn't what I was expecting! Interesting.

I think the first time I heard it, I didn't think the first two sections were that great, but as soon as that third section comes in, it makes the rest of it automatically fantastic as well.

Like, you know what's coming, so it's awesome at first and then HOLY FUCKING AWESOME later.

I love it from start to finish but I can see where you are coming from.

The first time I ever heard it was on a plane taking off and that final awesome part came just as the plane came out of the clouds and the cabin was flooded with sunlight and it was absolutely amazing.

I think Guy's lyric writing and songwriting has markedly improved since Asleep in the Back, but that album's sound/texture is like no one else's and in that regard they haven't matched themselves for me since. It isn't exuberant like some of their work, but it has such a mood about it that grabs me and forces me to listen to the whole thing pretty much every time a song from it comes up. Also, if I'm in an argument about whether rock music can be pretty, the title track is the first song that comes to my mind.

Also, I remember first buying the album and looking at the liner notes while it was first playing with my best friend in the car and noting how it listed Guy Garvey playing wine glasses on it, we were saying out loud "I wonder which track that's on" expecting notes played on rims and then "Powder Blue" is just finishing up and SMASH! It's a fun memory I'll never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom