Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lippy Kids is one of the few tracks that's stuck with me from this album, so I think it was a good choice for the performance. Sounded nice too. Honestly, there's not much better to chose from for a TV performance if they're going to play "new" songs.

I still think The Birds is the best track on the album, but a little too long and too slow of a build for TV I'm guessing...

5 days!!1 :hyper:

I would have preferred The Birds, because it's my favorite from this album.

Just saw Elbow last night in New York.

What an amazing, fun show. Guy Garvey really is the most charming frontman around today. I loved all the little stories and banter he had with the audience.

Highlights include the band celebrating 20 years together by downing a shot and then playing "Weather to Fly" in a tight circle facing each other in the back. Later, during "One Day Like This" the audience actually harmonized with itself. The balcony level belting out the chorus like Garvey does towards the end, while those of us on the floor sang the usual melody. I have never seen a crowd do that, especially without the band giving instructions. It was spontaneous and amazing.

Setlist:

The Birds
The Bones of You
Mirrorball
Neat Little Rows
Grounds for Divorce
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
Great Expectations
The Night Will Always Win
Puncture Repair
The River
Lippy Kids
Weather to Fly
Open Arms

Starlings
Station Approach
One Day Like This

Joey788 said:
The Birds
The Bones of You
Mirrorball
Neat Little Rows
Grounds for Divorce
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
Great Expectations
The Night Will Always Win
Puncture Repair
The River
Lippy Kids
Weather to Fly
Open Arms

Starlings
Station Approach
One Day Like This

Saw them last night, amazing show, one of the best I have seen in a while, set list was pretty much the same from what I can remember, which is fine by me.

The setlist when I saw them on Monday was the same. The venue was tiny, but the crowd was good and the band sounded great.

So no setlist bitching because they don't mix it up? :wink:

I think the setlist when I saw them at the Lowlands festival was about the same too. Minus the songs not on The Seldom Seen Kid or Build A Rocket Boys!

Those sets are pretty void of the first three albums, which is sad. Regardless, I'm sure they were still good!

Later, during "One Day Like This" the audience actually harmonized with itself. The balcony level belting out the chorus like Garvey does towards the end, while those of us on the floor sang the usual melody. I have never seen a crowd do that, especially without the band giving instructions. It was spontaneous and amazing.

God damn. I listened to the latest album a few times while driving in Ireland. The Birds was repeated a few times. Amazing.

I am so very jealous of all of you seeing them on this tour.

Signed, fan on the west coast not in LA and therefore does not exist

Wow. That was so very good. I have a bit of a crush on Guy Garvey now.

He is a charming gentlemen.

I bet people at Elbow message board (I presume one exists) are absolutely livid over this static setlist rubbish :wink:

You would think so, but I honestly have not seen much other than a few passing comments about the lack of older material.

last night's show was fantastic, I imagine all of their shows are. Puncture Repair is my favorite song and I never thought it would be considered enough of a song to be played live. ( I clearly wasn't paying attention). The Night Will Always Win was another highlight for me.

Guy Garvey reminds me of Ricky Gervais with an incredibly sexy voice. So in my mind he IS the perfect man. :love:

DeVotchka was AMAZING. I need to catch a full show.

Saw them again last night, for their second visit to Melbourne in about 6 months, but this time they upgraded to play the gorgeous Festival Hall.

The gig was very similar to the last one I went to: The only significant change in the set was the dropping of Great Expectations for Night Will Always Win and Dear Friends. And Puncture Repair also featured. Slightly disappointed that it was so similar, but still immensely enjoyable.

Guy Garvey was at his finest, entertaining banter between songs, although the band was rusty after not being on the road for a few months. Bit of a stuff up during The River and Garvey forgot a line in one of the songs earlier in the set (think it was Grounds For Divorce).

Neat Little Rows is far better live than the studio version, while Station Approach was another massive highlight.

On Monday 27th August elbow finally release the long mooted b-sides album: 'Dead In The Boot'.

Bringing together b-sides and hard to find non-album tracks from the band's lengthy recording career, the collection will be available on CD, vinyl album and digital download.

PRE-ORDER CD:
... HMV: Elbow: Dead In The Boot (2012): CD: hmv.com
AMAZON: http://bit.ly/DITBamazonCD

PRE-ORDER 12" VINYL:
HMV: Elbow: Dead In The Boot (2012): LP: hmv.com
AMAZON: http://bit.ly/DITBamazon12

PRE-ORDER DOWNLOAD:
iTUNES: Dead In the Boot by Elbow - Preorder Dead In the Boot on iTunes

The release tells the alternative elbow story from the early years, with tracks like 'None One' from the original 'Newborn' EP in 2000, right up to 'Buffalo Ghosts' from last April's 'Open Arms' limited edition 10" vinyl single.

Here's the full tracklisting

1 'Whisper Grass' ('Fallen Angel' – V2 single release)
2 'Lucky With Disease' ('Newborn' – V2 single release)
3 'Lay Down Your Cross' ('Not A Job' – V2 CD Single)
4 'The Long War Shuffle' ('Leaders Of The Free World' – V2 CD Single)
5 'Every Bit The Little Girl' ('One Day Like This' – Fiction 7” single)
6 'Love Blown Down' ('Fugitive Motel' – V2 CD Single)
7 'None One' ('Newborn' – Uglyman CD EP)
8 'Lullaby' ('One Day Like This' – Fiction CD Single)
9 'Mcgreggor' ('Forget Myself' – V2 7” single)
10 'Buffalo Ghosts' ('Open Arms' – Fiction 10” Single)
11 'Waving From Windows' ('Grace Under Pressure' – V2 CD Single)
12 'Snowball' (From 'Help – A Day In The Life' – Warchild album release)
13 'Gentle As' ('Leaders Of The Free World' – V2 7” single)

"The band have always loved B-side land and this is a collection of our favourites. It was important to us that this collection be an album in its own right so for some fans it may seem like there are glaring omissions, but these songs are the ones that hung together perfectly." Guy Garvey - Elbow

532546_10150969794333878_2020033180_n.jpg

So I was surprised that it didn't actually include "Asleep In the Back", but I just found out that song was included on all versions of the album other than the initial pressing. That's what I get for importing the album when it first came out. Friggin' Elbow.

Fuck yeah, Elbow!

I'm assuming I'll have to order it as an import. I don't want to assume that a B-sides collection will be readily available here, even though their last album was out pretty quickly. (Don't recall if TSSK was available right away in the US.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom