Duran Duran Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
You know, as in one of the most criminally underrated bands in pop/rock history. Great rythem section(roger/john taylor). Great songwriters.

Discuss..........

Last edited:
I LOVE Duran Duran.

I went to one of their first reunion shows at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas back in July '03.

I was too young for their 80's stuff, but discovered it after finding out about them through Ordinary World and Come Undone in the 90's.

I thought Astronaut was quite good, but I've heard a couple of the new songs and I'm not sure if I like the new direction they are going with Red Carpet Massacre. Its Duran Duran with a Timbaland beat and Justin Timberlake backing vocals:huh:

They have a nice long discography. I even like their late 90's efforts Medezzaland and Pop Trash. Definitely some catchy tunes.

I saw them in Toronto when I was 13...they opened for David Bowie! It was a good night, to say the least. :drool:

I was a major fan when I was a kid. I thought Simon LeBon was amazing. I also thought I could be just as amazing if I had my very own Simon LeBon jacket...the one he wears in "The Reflex" video. Didn't work out, sadly.

Great pop songs. :up: I'm not a massive fan now, but I still keep my eye on them. They played brilliantly at Live Earth, and the new album should be worth checking out when it's released.

Man, did I LOVE Duran Duran back in their early 80s hey-day. I saw them a couple of years ago when they toured with the original five members, and it was SUCH a blast. I swear, I'd been holding in those screams since I was 12. :wink:

I still enjoy their music quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of those middling years, but I thought Astronaut was really pretty darned good.

After that concert a few years ago, I tracked down used copies of all their CDs, even the ones I don't like. What can I say - I'm kind of obsessive compulsive when it comes to my CD collection. :shifty:

Resurrecting this thread because I just saw tour dates announced! WHOOT!

I'm not enamored of the latest album, but I am SO THERE for the Seattle show. ... or I would, were it not on the same night as The Swell Season, which I already have a ticket to. BOO. :grumpy:

April 29th Vancouver, BC General Motors Place
April 30th Seattle, WA WaMu Theater
May 2nd Concord, CA Sleep Train Pavilion
May 3rd Santa Barbara, CA Santa Barbara Bowl
May 4th Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theatre
May 6th Phoenix, AZ Dodge Theatre
May 8th San Diego, CA Valley View
May 9th Las Vegas, NV The Joint
May 10th Las Vegas, NV The Joint
May 12th Denver, CO Wells Fargo Theatre
May 14th Chicago, IL Rosemont Theatre
May 15th Detroit, MI Masonic Temple Theatre
May 17th Atlanta, GA Chastain Park Amphitheatre (already on sale)
May 18th Orlando, FL UCF Arena
May 19th Boca Raton, FL Mizner Park Amphitheatre
May 21st Raleigh, NC Koka Booth Amphitheatre
May 22nd Philadelphia, PA Mann Center for the Performing Arts
May 24 Paradise Island, Bahamas Atlantis
May 27th Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion
May 28th Boston, MA Agganis Arena
May 30th New York, NY Central Park Summerstage
May 31st New York, NY Central Park Summerstage

Tickets will be available from Wednesday 12th March at 9.00 am EST to Citi cardmembers through www.privatepass.citi.com.

Tickets will also be available from Wednesday 12th March at 9.00 am EST to members of the Duran Duran Fan Community. Details of this pre-sale and other special Fan Community offers will be available on www.duranduran.com and www.duranduranmusic.com.

Tickets will go on sale to the general public on Saturday March 15th through all usual ticket outlets.
Duran Duran’s Red Carpet Massacre Tour (US 2008)

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

Oh hells yes.

I saw them at The Joint a couple years ago and it was SO fun.

Me too!!

See my post seven or so above yours.

July 2003. Great show

bonosgirl84 said:
I saw that but I think the show I went to was in April.

And I think it was more recent than '03.

Ahhh right...

I forgot they played there again on the Astronaut tour.

Yeah it was probably about April
I saw them in March '05 in SLC

It's weird. I kind of got into Duran Duran after their big run in the early to mid 80's. In 1989, they released Decade, a compilation of their biggest songs from the decade of the 80's. After buying the CD, I got into them a lot more and appreciated them for being more than just a pop band. In 1993, when they were touring for The Wedding Album, I got the chance to see them twice. The first show was at The Academy in NYC. The place was kind of small so it was great seeing the guys up close. I had an awesome time. The 2nd show was at Jones Beach in Long Island, NY. They had a good show there too. Terrence Trent D'Arby opened for them. He was cool too.

I bought a Tour T-shirt back in '84...and everytime I would wear it...the girls would go crazy and they would ask me to sell it to them.... Damn that was a loud concert.

RedrocksU2 said:
I bought a Tour T-shirt back in '84...and everytime I would wear it...the girls would go crazy and they would ask me to sell it to them.... Damn that was a loud concert.

:lmao: If I had known you I would of been one of those screaming girls who would tried to get that tshirt from ya...:giggle:

I distinctly recall screaming alot at that show I was at.. Was pretty hoarse the next day...:D

First cassette I ever bought was Seven and the Ragged Tiger... I still have it, altough completely unlistenable for the tape has completely stretched out...

Well that and I don't have a cassette player anymore...

My best friend got us tickets to the Vancouver show in the pre-sale today! :hyper:

Never got a chance to see them back in the day, but I'm looking forward to catching them this time around! :D

it's odd.. why aren't the dates after 5/21 listed on ticketmaster? I thought the general sale for at least the Columbia, MD show which is on 5/27 would be listed by now.

bonosgirl84 said:
I saw that but I think the show I went to was in April.

And I think it was more recent than '03.

It was March '05 (I know b/c I was there). :wink: And it was a FANTASTIC, GREAT SHOW!

That was my 3rd DD concert, my 1st being in 1986 on the "Nortorious" tour (which was my 2nd concert overall. I would've been about 11 or 12 years old. :lol: ). They're really great live. :D

I don't know if I'm going to make it to any of these current dates, but that gig at The Joint in '05 was off the f***n' hook!!!! :rockon:

ugh, i can't go see them this tour. my mom, who's almost as much of a fan as me, is having surgery right when they'll be coming to our area. and the cities they'll be coming to around us all require flying, so yeah.

i'm optimistic though, with astronaut they came back a second time and toured the states. i'm sure they'll do that again this time. although it's a bummer because with astronaut i got to see them three times (once on the first leg, twice on the third leg). oh well :)

Back
Top Bottom