Duran Duran Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't heard anything yet, not even the single, but am really looking forward to the album. A pop blog I like was underwhelmed by the first single, but had really great things to say about the rest of the album.

When does the whole thing come out on iTunes, again?

Simon & Nick are on Mark Ronson's radio show tonight from 8pm ET (which is about 1am UK time)- talking about the new album and playing Man Who Stole a Leopard

have adopted the same approach I used for NLOTH- "they're playing it on radio/TV so it's not cheating" - so in advance of the radio show, I found the leaked version on you tube- and oh my god- 6mins and 12 seconds of utter brilliance

have only heard 4 of the eventual 12 or 13 tracks that will comprise the complete album- but they've definitely re-awakened the inner durannie in me.

I haven't heard anything yet, not even the single, but am really looking forward to the album. A pop blog I like was underwhelmed by the first single, but had really great things to say about the rest of the album.

When does the whole thing come out on iTunes, again?

9 tracks get released 21 December- and if you're in Europe "From Mediterranea with Love" will also be out before Christmas- that contains a song called Mediterranea

there is a physical cd release in Feb with 3 or 4 extra tracks

Thanks! I'm glad to hear there's a physical release coming later; I don't like iTunes-only releases.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear there's a physical release coming later; I don't like iTunes-only releases.

yeah I know what you mean- it's good for odd tracks, but I'm old enough to prefer having a physical cd (even if it ends up on the ipod straight away!)

I think the only track of the leaks that sort of has to grow on me still is Mediterranea. Other than that, the other three or four hit me straight in the face. Girl Panic is fantastic!

i gave in. since the itunes version of the album has leaked, i had to listen. what the hell, i'll be buying it off itunes as well as the cd when it comes out.

the album's awesome. easily blows all their post-85 output out of the water, which is saying a lot since some of those albums are in my top five albums of theirs. i've only listened to the album once and didn't think of posting in here until i was halfway done so i don't have any spoogetastic play-by-play responses to any song in particular, but it's all great. i can say even though guest vocalists isn't usually their thing, in both cases it fits within the song so it's not like they pulled a blige and upstaged poor simon.

the couple songs i can remember really loving (though there's no weak song on here) are being followed, safe, girl panic, and the man who stole a leopard.

definitely worth adding to your...record collection hahahaha!
395fce5ba878441ba02dfe27ddc2a032.gif

Simon & Nick are on Mark Ronson's radio show tonight from 8pm ET (which is about 1am UK time)- talking about the new album and playing Man Who Stole a Leopard

have adopted the same approach I used for NLOTH- "they're playing it on radio/TV so it's not cheating" - so in advance of the radio show, I found the leaked version on you tube- and oh my god- 6mins and 12 seconds of utter brilliance

have only heard 4 of the eventual 12 or 13 tracks that will comprise the complete album- but they've definitely re-awakened the inner durannie in me.

one4u2 was there and boy does she have a story to tell.. :D

zomg I'm really excited to hear it now. :drool:

I'll hold out for the actual release (iTunes - I can't wait until February!) rather than find a leak, since it's only a week away.

Ok. So . . .

. . .my best friend, her Mom's cousin was the head writer for "The Tonight Show". So anytime we wanted tickets to "The Tonight Show", we could just ask her Mom's cousin and he usually could get them for us with enough advance notice. The benefit was, because they were like "special guest" tickets, we would be placed on a list and able to park where everyone who works at that studio parked. So we would go in the same entrance as Jay Leno or Paul Moyer (because I think the NBC nightly news taped there as well, though I could be wrong about that). It's a small studio and not too many NBC programs are filmed there.

So, it was when "Astronaut" came out or was coming out (I think it was already out) and they were promoting it, and they were the musical guest that night on "The Tonight Show". My best friend has loved Simon Le Bon and her middle sister has loved Roger Taylor forever (or at least since the early 80's) so they got tickets. Unfortunately, my best friend had just had her baby and was going back to work, and it turned out that the show DD was going to be on was scheduled for when my best friend had to go back to work, like her 2nd or 3rd day back. So there was really no way she could call in sick. So she asked me if I wanted to go with her sisters. And I'm very close to her family, so I said, "Sure."

So me, her two sisters, and one of her sister's best friends go. We get there super early, park, and then we have tons of time to kill. So we go to the NBC cafeteria which has an outdoor patio that overlooks the parking lot and the back entrance to the "Tonight Show" building. So we're just killing time, sitting on the patio, talking, sipping drinks, munching on snacks, and having a good time when I go, "Hey! Let's call Dawn [my best friend] at work and pretend like we just me Simon!" Dawn's oldest sister is a huge prankster and tormented Sherry and Dawn when they were kids, so she was all on board. So Deb calls Dawn and starts weaving a tale of how we met Simon. But Dawn is smart and she doesn't fall for it. So then we're all just talking to Dawn and on and on when one us really sees Simon and we go, "Oh my god, there's Simon!" And Dawn's on the phone going, "Ha ha. Yeah right! You guys are funny." And we go, "No! It's really him. We're not bullshitting this time! He's with Nick!"

So we keep Dawn on speakerphone and we all go walk over toward the back entrance of the "Tonight Show" building. They were filming promo spots with Simon and Nick for that night's airing. So we told the two fim crew guys that we were big fans and we wouldn't interrupt, we just wanted to watch. It's been so long, I can't remember if it was Simon or Nick, but one of them said that they would come over when they were done filming. So we watch them do take after take for the promo spots and then, as promised, Simon and Nick came over to talk to us. The STUPID, BAD STALKER FANS we were -- we had completely forgotten to bring a camera!!!!! But Sherry had her 1984 "Arena" tour programme and so Simon and Nick signed that. And then we had Simon sign something for Dawn and Deb was holding her primitive cell phone up with Dawn on speakerphone so Dawn could hear everything. :lol: I was so shocked at how nice they were. I really had expected Simon Le Bon to be a complete dick, but he was actually really, really nice, as was Nick. So we chatted with them for a short while and then said thank you and then they went inside and we were all like birds twittering "OH MY GOD"s to each other. hahahaha But Sherry still hadn't met her #1, Roger.

So eventually we go inside to the special guest Green Room. Hang out in there. Get taken to our seats. See the show. That night DD played '(Reach Up For The) Sunrise'. It was a lot of fun.

After the show, Deb, Sherry & Dawn's cousin (the head writer) comes out to meet us and see how we liked the show (like he always did). He told Deb that he has some stuff for their Mom, but it's up in his office. So he leads us all upstairs to his office which is just passed . . .

. . . the "MUSICAL GUEST GREEN ROOMS"!!!!!!!!! :D

And ALL OF DURAN DURAN are just hanging out, drinking, mingling and milling about up there!

Now, officially, we're not supposed to talk to or bother any of the Talent. Deb, Sherry and Dawn's Mom's cousin is very strict about these rules. But Sherry wanted her programme signed by the whole band. So the cousin told us to wait outside his office while he went to get Roger, Andy and John's signatures for her. Then he said his goodbyes to us and we were set to leave. And, of course, to leave we had to walk RIGHT PASSED THE GREEN ROOMS! :lol:

So we ended up meeting all of them and they were so very nice. I specifically remember talking to Andy and Roger and telling them how much I liked "Astronaut" and how impressed I was with it. Sherry got to shake hands with Roger and give him a quick hug, and tell him how she has been a huge fan of his for so long. He was just so nice to her.

Then we said our goodbyes, walked downstairs, and out into the parking lot and to Deb's SUV.

Sherry cried the whole way home. :lol:

It was a very fun day and DD were very nice.

:D

OK so Friday night I met Nick and Simon and it was way more then I bargained for! I went down to the Mark Ronson radio show with a friend..In a nutshell, I bought Simon a drink, I wound up in the studio for the show he thanked me for the drink on air then insisted on buying me one and was just awesome..The most surreal moment Ive ever had...:drool:

26 years to get this photo..stick a fork in me I'm sooo done....

simonsurreal.jpg

Ok. So . . .

. . .my best friend, her Mom's cousin was the head writer for "The Tonight Show". So anytime we wanted tickets to "The Tonight Show", we could just ask her Mom's cousin and he usually could get them for us with enough advance notice. The benefit was, because they were like "special guest" tickets, we would be placed on a list and able to park where everyone who works at that studio parked. So we would go in the same entrance as Jay Leno or Paul Moyer (because I think the NBC nightly news taped there as well, though I could be wrong about that). It's a small studio and not too many NBC programs are filmed there.

So, it was when "Astronaut" came out or was coming out (I think it was already out) and they were promoting it, and they were the musical guest that night on "The Tonight Show". My best friend has loved Simon Le Bon and her middle sister has loved Roger Taylor forever (or at least since the early 80's) so they got tickets. Unfortunately, my best friend had just had her baby and was going back to work, and it turned out that the show DD was going to be on was scheduled for when my best friend had to go back to work, like her 2nd or 3rd day back. So there was really no way she could call in sick. So she asked me if I wanted to go with her sisters. And I'm very close to her family, so I said, "Sure."

So me, her two sisters, and one of her sister's best friends go. We get there super early, park, and then we have tons of time to kill. So we go to the NBC cafeteria which has an outdoor patio that overlooks the parking lot and the back entrance to the "Tonight Show" building. So we're just killing time, sitting on the patio, talking, sipping drinks, munching on snacks, and having a good time when I go, "Hey! Let's call Dawn [my best friend] at work and pretend like we just me Simon!" Dawn's oldest sister is a huge prankster and tormented Sherry and Dawn when they were kids, so she was all on board. So Deb calls Dawn and starts weaving a tale of how we met Simon. But Dawn is smart and she doesn't fall for it. So then we're all just talking to Dawn and on and on when one us really sees Simon and we go, "Oh my god, there's Simon!" And Dawn's on the phone going, "Ha ha. Yeah right! You guys are funny." And we go, "No! It's really him. We're not bullshitting this time! He's with Nick!"

So we keep Dawn on speakerphone and we all go walk over toward the back entrance of the "Tonight Show" building. They were filming promo spots with Simon and Nick for that night's airing. So we told the two fim crew guys that we were big fans and we wouldn't interrupt, we just wanted to watch. It's been so long, I can't remember if it was Simon or Nick, but one of them said that they would come over when they were done filming. So we watch them do take after take for the promo spots and then, as promised, Simon and Nick came over to talk to us. The STUPID, BAD STALKER FANS we were -- we had completely forgotten to bring a camera!!!!! But Sherry had her 1984 "Arena" tour programme and so Simon and Nick signed that. And then we had Simon sign something for Dawn and Deb was holding her primitive cell phone up with Dawn on speakerphone so Dawn could hear everything. :lol: I was so shocked at how nice they were. I really had expected Simon Le Bon to be a complete dick, but he was actually really, really nice, as was Nick. So we chatted with them for a short while and then said thank you and then they went inside and we were all like birds twittering "OH MY GOD"s to each other. hahahaha But Sherry still hadn't met her #1, Roger.

So eventually we go inside to the special guest Green Room. Hang out in there. Get taken to our seats. See the show. That night DD played '(Reach Up For The) Sunrise'. It was a lot of fun.

After the show, Deb, Sherry & Dawn's cousin (the head writer) comes out to meet us and see how we liked the show (like he always did). He told Deb that he has some stuff for their Mom, but it's up in his office. So he leads us all upstairs to his office which is just passed . . .

. . . the "MUSICAL GUEST GREEN ROOMS"!!!!!!!!! :D

And ALL OF DURAN DURAN are just hanging out, drinking, mingling and milling about up there!

Now, officially, we're not supposed to talk to or bother any of the Talent. Deb, Sherry and Dawn's Mom's cousin is very strict about these rules. But Sherry wanted her programme signed by the whole band. So the cousin told us to wait outside his office while he went to get Roger, Andy and John's signatures for her. Then he said his goodbyes to us and we were set to leave. And, of course, to leave we had to walk RIGHT PASSED THE GREEN ROOMS! :lol:

So we ended up meeting all of them and they were so very nice. I specifically remember talking to Andy and Roger and telling them how much I liked "Astronaut" and how impressed I was with it. Sherry got to shake hands with Roger and give him a quick hug, and tell him how she has been a huge fan of his for so long. He was just so nice to her.

Then we said our goodbyes, walked downstairs, and out into the parking lot and to Deb's SUV.

Sherry cried the whole way home. :lol:

It was a very fun day and DD were very nice.

:D

what a great story! thanks for posting!:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom