Duran Duran Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally got around to ordering used copies of the Rio remaster and the accompanying DVD - they just showed up! :dance:

:bump: has anyone picked up any of the more recent remasters? duran duran, seven and the ragged tiger, and arcadia have all come out recently. notorious and big thing are also coming out soon, but i'm not sure if anyone here likes those. :lol:

I have them all on my Amazon wish list, but I probably won't get around to picking up copies until later this year.

Hopefully by then, used copies will drop in price a little.

I think Notorious is really good, but I will avoid the Big Thing remaster like the plague.

For me, for what *I* consider to make a good album (strong themes -lyrical & musical- running throughout, variety, yet also homogeneity, and NOT just a few singles with a lot of filler), and from the ones I've heard (albums, not the remasters. sorry):

Notorious > Seven and the Ragged Tiger > Astronaut > Big Thing > Liberty =/> The Wedding Album

I think it goes without saying that Duran Duran and Rio tower above the rest.

And, yes . . . I do think The Wedding Album is faaaaaaaaaar worse than Big Thing. I actually rather like Big Thing.

And, yes . . . I do think The Wedding Album is faaaaaaaaaar worse than Big Thing. I actually rather like Big Thing.
qft. i'd probably put big thing in my top five.

i'm just bummed that there's no demos for either. it's not like there isn't material, i've got a cd's worth of demos for each album, but of course the quality's crap. i'm interested in seeing if they're going to release more albums after this, though. the wedding album could use a remastering, and it's certainly popular enough to justify it. if they do though, will they skip over liberty? no one will buy it, but it would be nice if they put some of the demos on a bonus disc or something, cuz a lot of those demos are far better than what made the album. it isn't saying much, though. but there was promise in some of the songs. though really, nearly anything's better than crap like hothead.

you beat me to it! :fist:

i like the snippet, though. i've listened to it a couple times (tried to avoid totally fan girling out) and i like it. definitely a better vibe than their last album.

Rio was the 4th album I ever owned, back when I was about 8 years old. (The first three were two by The Beatles, and of course MJ's Thriller.)

Rio was as 80s as it gets, but a very good record. Amazingly strong tunes, great arrangements, very fresh, very contemporary (then).

My older sister, who was their super-fan, went to their concert in the mid to late 80s, and on the way had a close encounter with Simon Le Bon, who was hanging out at a donut shop. He even closed the car door for her! She then instructed our mom never to wash that door again, lest we remove his fingerprints.

Personally, I didn't like the snippet because it reminds me of "Astronaut", one of my UNfavourite albums of DD. Tomorrow I'll tell you about my opinion more, OK? :)

you beat me to it! :fist:

Sorry, what did you mean by this?:ohmy:

Sorry, what did you mean by this?:ohmy:
oh, i was just going to mention about the new song snippet! :) actually in all honesty, i forgot there was even a thread about this here until you bumped it!

I like Pop Trash and Red Carpet Massacre...

:reject:
:therethere: i like them too. i love pop trash, i think it's a pretty solid album. red carpet massacre i don't love as much, but it's definitely got its high points. there's no album of theirs i could honestly say i hate, but there's definitely some that have more bad than good.

Well, I promised to say about DD - I'll do it!:cute:

Formerly, I knew their such songs as Ordinary World, Come Undone and What Happens Tomorrow, but got interested in this band year ago or something like that by chance - thanks to links on Youtube to the songs from DD's "commercially unsuccessful" albums "Pop trash", "Medazzaland" and "Liberty". Most of all I like such ones, my favourite album is "Big Thing". Also "Notorious" was great work. "Red Carpet Massacre", as for me, is much better than "Astronaut", though there was mark of Timbaland, which I don't like very much. First three albums of DD, as for me, a bit overrated in comparison with other DD works, the same I can say about my anti-favourite "Astronaut". Also, I can't understand why "Thank you" people don't like much - in my opinion, DD can do good covers: for example, I like "Perfect day" mostly in their version, than in Lou Reed.

"Electric Barbarella" is cool. :reject:
Now, in all honesty I'm not their biggest fan. However I fucking love three of their songs... "Ordinary World", "The Chauffeur" and "(Reach Up for the) Sunrise".

Thanks, KhanadaRhodes! By the way, do you have such a nickname because of DD? :D One of my favourite songs - Khanada. As for me, it's much better than most of the material from the first album. Also, did you hear demo of "Tel Aviv"? And, if you like Big Thing, did you see the concerts of that period?

Thanks, KhanadaRhodes! By the way, do you have such a nickname because of DD? :D One of my favourite songs - Khanada. As for me, it's much better than most of the material from the first album. Also, did you hear demo of "Tel Aviv"? And, if you like Big Thing, did you see the concerts of that period?
yes i did! :D

i've heard the demo of tel aviv and i like it, it's waaay different than the album version or any of their other material, really. i think i might have a big thing concert on vhs and one on my computer, but i've not had the cash to buy any bootlegs or anything. but whenever the remaster comes out there will be one on there. :up:

New song from DD:

YouTube - DURAN DURAN - "Being Followed" (Teaser) (From the Upcoming New Album "All You Need Is Now")

And some photos:

hv9o1v.jpg

todayshow-set.jpg

And some surprise from me dedicated to 25th anniversary of Arcadia's (Arcadia is one of side-projects of Duran Duran) album "So red the rose":

YouTube - Arcadia-Forever Missing The Flame In The Dark (Video Megamix By Siberia)

Ooh, new Duran! So did they end up using Mark Ronson as a producer? Or was that old news and they went with someone else?

I finally got around to picking up the remasters of the first album and Seven and the Ragged Tiger. They did a great job with them - love that there are DVDs included.

I can't believe I'd never heard their cover of Fame - love it!

oh yay, always glad to hear someone appreciating their b-sides. i love their version of fame, it's great. i actually used it (along with bowie's version) once on a di list. i love late bar, it's fantastic. still kicking myself i didn't redo my trip last year to see them in san fran as they played it. oh well!

i've still not checked out everything on the dvds even though i've put up half the stuff on youtube. :lol:

and i'm definitely digging the clip of being followed. i'm definitely excited for the album. i've heard rumours that the first single will be out next month; there's also another (though highly unlikely imo) that the album will be out on itunes at christmas. oh and yep, mark ronson is the producer, the album will be titled all you need is now :eyebrow:

One more thing - the tracklist:

1. All You Need Is Now
2. Blame The Machines
3. Being Followed
4. Leave A Light On
5. Safe
6. Girl Panic
7. The Man Who Stole A Leopard
8. Runway Runaway
9. Before the Rain

This is iTunes version. The original one will include 3 more tracks.

:zen:

I will have self-control and not listen to any snippets.

:zen:

:lol: you've done better than me! i listened to shit before astronaut (although i didn't have much of a choice, especially since i saw them in 03 and they played new stuff but i digress) and that's a good album. i didn't listen to anything for rcm and...it doesn't suck, but it's down at the bottom half of their albums. so therefore if i want aynin to be good, i must listen to snippets!

i am liking what i'm hearing though. one month! :hyper:

:lol: you've done better than me! i listened to shit before astronaut (although i didn't have much of a choice, especially since i saw them in 03 and they played new stuff but i digress) and that's a good album. i didn't listen to anything for rcm and...it doesn't suck, but it's down at the bottom half of their albums. so therefore if i want aynin to be good, i must listen to snippets!

i am liking what i'm hearing though. one month! :hyper:

You gotta do what works! :lol:

When is the US release date?

Back
Top Bottom