Duran Duran Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If anyone watched them on Leno tonight, someone might be asking Simon when Bono's going to call for his glasses back! :lol:

Huge fan, and in all honesty, I'm probably a bigger Duran fan than a U2 fan. After seeing both bands live though, I'd hold them on about an equal footing. Still great shows, though I have a feeling I never caught DD at their peak, whenever that was (perhaps during the reunion tour dates a few years back). Bought the CD today as well. Favorites so far are probably The Man Who Stole a Leopard, Girl Panic, Being Followed, and Too Bad You're So Beautiful.

Will be heading to the Minneapolis and Chicago dates in April myself. If any of you people are heading there too, let me know!

They posted a thing on Facebook that they're rehearsing for the Unstaged show, and are rehearsing The Man Who Stole a Leopard with Kelis.

:up:

Dress rehearsal for Unstaged! Simon and Kelis belt out "The Man Who Stole a Leopard" while the production crew figures out how best to use their seven enormous cameras. Dress rehearsal gave everyone chills, it was so incredible. Make sure to tune into the livestream!

If anyone watched them on Leno tonight, someone might be asking Simon when Bono's going to call for his glasses back! :lol:

Huge fan, and in all honesty, I'm probably a bigger Duran fan than a U2 fan. After seeing both bands live though, I'd hold them on about an equal footing. Still great shows, though I have a feeling I never caught DD at their peak, whenever that was (perhaps during the reunion tour dates a few years back). Bought the CD today as well. Favorites so far are probably The Man Who Stole a Leopard, Girl Panic, Being Followed, and Too Bad You're So Beautiful.

Will be heading to the Minneapolis and Chicago dates in April myself. If any of you people are heading there too, let me know!

Last week was my first time, and all i could say was.....WOW

As for them hitting their peak, other than their early-mid 80's heyday or maybe 93, i don't know. I do say this new album is fantastic. I'm a bigger u2 fan than DD, but honestly, i cant remember the last time u2 put out a new album as good as "all you need is now". Certainly hasn't been this decade...and i like ATYCLB, HTDAAB, & NLOTH. Just saying!

If DD's new album isn't a "hit" or sell a lot of copies and produce at least one radio "hit" single, then the entire music business (mgmt, not the artists) needs to just fold up shop and call it quits.

I'm hoping they play 'man who stole a leopard' tonight. But i also got to say that 'mediterranea' is absurdly good live.

Last week was my first time, and all i could say was.....WOW

As for them hitting their peak, other than their early-mid 80's heyday or maybe 93, i don't know. I do say this new album is fantastic. I'm a bigger u2 fan than DD, but honestly, i cant remember the last time u2 put out a new album as good as "all you need is now". Certainly hasn't been this decade...and i like ATYCLB, HTDAAB, & NLOTH. Just saying!

If DD's new album isn't a "hit" or sell a lot of copies and produce at least one radio "hit" single, then the entire music business (mgmt, not the artists) needs to just fold up shop and call it quits.

I'm hoping they play 'man who stole a leopard' tonight. But i also got to say that 'mediterranea' is absurdly good live.

Well, I was basically one of those fans they picked up during The Wedding Album era. And I was 8 at the time! I picked up on songs they had in the 90s when they were played on the radio (including Electric Barbarella), and discovered their 80s output somewhere during my teen years. Eventually, I found out all those songs were by the same band, and I find myself here today! I practically grew up with them in a way, though I came aboard later on.

This is probably their most consistent album since Rio in terms of song quality. I'm not too big on some of the extra tracks added to the itunes release, but they have struck the right chord here. And most of the fanbase seems to be happy with it, so everybody wins here I guess.

Mediterranea did sound alright live, though even Leave a Light On did too from a video I saw from a TV performance recently. On top of that, the band is in rehearsals with Kelis for the Leopard song, so they should be playing that tonight. 14 minutes!

nice, trevgreg! i became a fan in 96 the same way you did, finding out all these awesome songs were the same band. i loved new moon on monday growing up, i'd always thought it was david bowie. :reject:

can't wait to hear what this stuff sounds like live!

I fell in love in 1983, when I was 10!

/zomgimsoold

lol cori's old

Hey! I'm with Cori, so be nice now! :wink: (Except I was 8 instead of 10.)

DD was MY :heart: before U2. I knew all the debut album singles, but I really fell hard when "Rio" came out. I can't tell you how many times I used to listen to 'Hold Back The Rain' and 'New Religion'.

And don't even get me started on the 'Save A Prayer' video. :drool: :drool: :combust: :crack:

The last time I was rehearsing with my half-assed "band" (a work thing, I don't really have a band), the bass player started noodling around with something that sounded really familiar.

It was New Religion! Ha. Then he and the drummer started talking about JT's awesome 80s bass riffs. I had no idea he liked them.

Hey! I'm with Cori, so be nice now! :wink: (Except I was 8 instead of 10.)

DD was MY :heart: before U2. I knew all the debut album singles, but I really fell hard when "Rio" came out. I can't tell you how many times I used to listen to 'Hold Back The Rain' and 'New Religion'.

And don't even get me started on the 'Save A Prayer' video. :drool: :drool: :combust: :crack:

count me in with the old people group.. I have been a fan since 1982 when I was in high school. :reject: I know that is old! :angry: Played the hell out of Rio. But it was the vinyl that I played over and over.. :D:drool:

John Taylor was one if not my main crush when I was in elementary school in the early 80s. He is still hot.

I am now watching the videos from last night, they are a bit trippy. Not sure about that Leopard song and the floating masks that were part of the video from last night.

yes! JT has always been my big fan girl crush since day one.. :heart: and he sure is still hot! :drool: So a while back when he responded to my tweet I turned into a teenager and swooned/squealled, the works.. :D:love:

here he was back then.. *swoon* :drool:

John%20Taylor%20then.jpg

and now...

John%20Taylor_14th_annual_Unforgettable_Evening_benefit_Beverly_Wilshire_February10_2011_Beverly%20Hills.jpg

16. Tiger Beat. Bop! My favorite was Star Hits, which had all sorts of great stuff in it, like U2, REM and other "cool" stuff. I think it was the US version of Smash Hits. I was so sad when it went away. :(

I was a Simon girl, after a brief stint as a Roger girl.

From everything I've read/seen clips of last night's show, I'm not sure I want to watch it. The Lynch visuals and overlays just sound irritating.

^the overlays were annoying..but the other two cams would of made me sick.. One was a fishbowl lens cam the other was called funhouse cam.. So the David Lynch cam was the only other option.

btw having Gerard Way dueting on Planet Earth annoyed me cuz I can't stand him as a singer and his band...:huh:

The show last night was fantastic! It rained pretty miserably, so we had to queue for about two hours in the rain. Thankfully they let us bring umbrellas inside.

Highlights for me were The Man Who Stole a Leopard, and A View to a Kill. Great stuff. Girl Panic was also really great! kelis came out twice to sing and I also enjoyed Beth Ditto dirtying w Simon. Mick Ronson wore white jazz shoes ala 1982! he played guitar on a few songs.

Wish they had play Runway runaway from the new album, but oh well. We got Careless Memories!!!

The rhythm section was in fine form last night! Going to Jimmy Kimmell tonight for the outdoor concert. Let's hope it stays dry!!!

Back
Top Bottom