Doves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hate to live in the godamn third world, it'll take two to three weeks to get here once they send it.

Been listening to Doves for some time now and have to say, a solid band with some excellent tunes. At times they're way too poppy for my tastes (most of The Last Broadcast - although There Goes the Fear is amazing), but I especially like their psychedelic side, as witnessed with what is easily their best album Lost Souls (stuff like Break Me Gently and Rise).

One thing about Lost Souls that I didn't see mentioned is that I find the album to very schizophrenic, for a lack of a better word. The first half is very atmospheric and psychedelic, with more emphasis on instruments, with the vocals being highly distorted. When the Catch the Sun/The Man Who Told Everything/The Cedar Room comes in, it's like a different band altogether. The vocals are clear, and sometimes unfortunately so - Jimi Goodwin can't really sing, as so many of British popular singers don't, like Ian Brown, Shaun Ryder, Bobby Gillespie and so on. I find to be his performance on The Man Who Told Everything particularly grating, but strangely enough, it fits perfectly to the immense The Cedar Room.

I didn't find the next two albums compelling, apart from a couple of songs on The Last Broadcast, but Kingdom of Rust persuaded me that Lost Souls wasn't an accident. A truly excellent effort, with the last 4 songs being particularly great, moving away from that Coldplay-like mellow sound that infested some of their post-Lost Souls work, and moving something that could be called a new direction for them. This is why I hope those rumors about them going on hiatus aren't true.

Doves are far more than a solid band, they are one of the most incredible live acts I have ever seen. They aren't really going on a hiatus, they just admit that they take a long time working on new material and don't particular enjoy the recording process.... unfortunately they also don't tour in between albums.

I hate it when this thread gets bumped... I'm always happy to discuss my love for Doves, but it always reminds me how long we have to wait for them to get their act together and do something new/tour in earnest :sad:.

I hate it when this thread gets bumped... I'm always happy to discuss my love for Doves, but it always reminds me how long we have to wait for them to get their act together and do something new/tour in earnest :sad:.

same here. :(
It has been several years since I have seen them perform live. I wish they would return to Atlanta. :sigh:

Any Doves fans from Melbourne? I could just make it for that show...

Woohoo! :love:

I do hope though that the crowd will be less lame than the last time I saw Doves at The Forum. Bloody lifeles, they were.

Aww, I may be said at their absence, but I'm happy for those Doves fans around here that will get to go, :hug:.

Anyone who's actually seen them before in this thread needs to never bitch again, or I will shoot you.

:lol:

I'm glad I buy my music then, not only because it supports the artists and is the right thing to do, but so Mofo doesn't hunt me all the way back to Boston and gun me down.

Haha. This is one of the few bands that it drives me nuts that I haven't seen yet. The one time I knew they were coming through, the show got canceled. Or did the entire tour, I cant remember any more? Probably would have been during Last Broadcast. I'm worried I unfortunately missed my chance to ever see them though, as they seem to get less and less popular here in the US, unfortunately.

Some weird part of me is irked how popular Elbow has become, and Doves have not.

I don't know any sales statistics for the Kingdom of Rust tour, but I know it was very well received on the East Coast anyway, they have their foot-hold here and I doubt they'll stop trying in the US in the future, but yeah, you might have to travel to see them, but it'd totally be worth it!

I get really sad whenever this thread gets bumped without news. :sad:

Not that I don't agree with the above statement though, because I do.

That still gives us a moment to obsess over how amazing they are, right, RIGHT? :sad:

erm did anyone see this?

Doves in Australia in 2011

Apologies for lack of updates of late. We are heading to Australia in February. Tickets for all the shows are now on sale.
Tuesday 15th February – Hi-Fi Bar, Brisbane www.thehifi.com.au
Thursday 17th February – Enmore Theatre, Sydney Ticketek
Friday 18th February – Playground Weekender Festival, Wisemans Ferry Now on sale
Saturday 19th February – The Forum, Melbourne Ticketmaster
Monday 21st February – Metropolis, Perth heatseeker
We now have a page up at Ping. Follow us for updates here.

Back
Top Bottom