Doves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked it up at lunch and just got done listening to it for the first time! It was really nice outside, so I took it for a walk to focus on the music. The first half is absolutely stellar. I was worried for a couple tracks that I was going to agree with the "last half stinks' reviews, but Compulsion was pretty cool musically, and House of Mirrors and Lifelines were a great couple of songs to close the album with. Look forward to listening to it more.

Word. Outside of the first two tracks Compulsion, HOM, and Lifelines are my favorites. I like the whole thing though, I think its their most consistent effort, and the most enjoyable rockish.

I like the whole thing though

I'm more or less the same. I wasn't ultra excited by Birds Flew Backwards and Spellbound, but I didn't hate them either. Other than that, I liked all the rest quite a bit. Pretty dang good first listen. This band has been so consistent, it's good to see nothing changed in that regard with this album. :up:

I also bought the CD yesterday and listened for the first time while at work. Very good stuff, and while I don't think the second half falls off the wagon like some reviews have stated, I will say that the first half is stronger.

i take a different view on the second half than most people...aside from the title track, which i think is probably one of their best songs ever, the second half of the album is more intricate and rewarding. i love Spellbound. and Birds Flew Backwards has some great harmonies and is a neat headphone song.

Are the supposed "bonus tracks" just the songs that are on the Kingdom of Rust EP?

EDIT: Nevermind, the tracks on the EP (outside of the acoustic version of Kingdom of Rust) are also on the album.

:huh:

Doves Score A Number 2 Album - Xfm

Doves Score A Number 2 Album

added 14 April 2009 at 12.50

‘Kingdom Of Rust’ scales the heady heights of the hit parade, but is denied the top spot by less than ten copies of Lady Ga Ga’s ‘The Fame’.

This month’s Residency DJs, Doves, have hit number two with their fourth album. ‘Kingdom Of Rust’ was kept off number one by Lady Ga Ga’s ‘The Fame’ which only sold a handful more. Doves’ latest stint as Xfm DJs was broadcast on Sunday, hours after the news broke. We suspect the playlist may have been a little more ‘down’ as a result. You can listen to Jimi and Andy spin their favourite tunes again.

Bat For Lashes also had a good week as her second record, ‘Two Suns’, debuted at number five. Yeah Yeah Yeahs also scraped the top ten with ‘It’s Blitz’ hitting number nine. Listen to John Kennedy’s comprehensive interview with the band now.

i take a different view on the second half than most people...aside from the title track, which i think is probably one of their best songs ever, the second half of the album is more intricate and rewarding. i love Spellbound. and Birds Flew Backwards has some great harmonies and is a neat headphone song.

This is how I feel, except "Birds Flew Backwards" is my least favorite track on the album.

In Pitchfork's defense, they gave Doves' past two albums even better scores than this (Lost Souls is humorously the one they shat on).

I liked the little teaser they posted to the review though:

Doves' fourth album is another sterling example of why Doves should be household names and why they probably won't ever be.

Sounds about right.

My favorite local radio station has been playing they quite a bit the last week or two, which rules.

This album is quality

I love Kingdom of Rust, Jetstream ,Winter Hill, House of Mirrors and Spellbound

Surprisingly wipes the floor with No Line on the Horizon

Back
Top Bottom