Doves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it makes you feel any better elfa, I haven't listened yet, either. Been too busy at work, and took the time to listen to some streams online instead.

Plus, I'm still listening to a few other things I previously downloaded. :shifty:

When I move from this city, I am going to miss the local record store that always "accidentally" sells new records/CDs a few days before the actual release.

I was a bit surprised to see Kingdom of Rust of the shelf, and on sale. But what the hell...I could not pass it up.

Best of album of the year?

And I got two tickets to see them in May in Minneapolis.

When I move from this city, I am going to miss the local record store that always "accidentally" sells new records/CDs a few days before the actual release.

I was a bit surprised to see Kingdom of Rust of the shelf, and on sale. But what the hell...I could not pass it up.

Best of album of the year?

And I got two tickets to see them in May in Minneapolis.

as you can see in my sig, i only rate two albums above it this year.

Is the general consensus that this is another great album? I'm out of the loop, but I can't wait to hear new Doves :)

I'm afraid I won't get to see them live this time around though :(

I've listened to the album three times so far. It will obviously need more spins to properly sink in, but so far my feeling is that it starts off really strong, has a couple of less memorable songs in the middle, then picks up again near the end. I'm surprised by how much more I like Jetstream :up:

That's a bit disappointing. Guess I'll find out for myself tomorrow.

i wouldn't worry. i'm a huge Doves fan, but my biggest complaint is that their albums lose steam in the 2nd half (with the exception of Lost Souls). this one definitely doesn't.

for some reason, Doves get absolutely no respect in the US, unfairly dismissed as inferior versions of Coldplay or Radiohead. the critical reception is very lukewarm...just look at Rolling Stone's pathetic three star review. what a bunch of crap. most of these reviewers give it a half listen and then try to find comparisons to the latest Brit Indie rock flavors of the month.

Audiophile and I were discussing this earlier. There always seems to be some skepticism or general lack of respect for a lot of British artists in American music press. To some extent I suppose i can understand it, but to give Lost Souls 4 stars and say it is no better or worse than any of their other work? Seriously?

I was happily surprised to see Elbow get so much end of the year buzz last year, as the album didn't really get any press/critic buzz at all here when it was released.

for some reason, Doves get absolutely no respect in the US, unfairly dismissed as inferior versions of Coldplay or Radiohead. the critical reception is very lukewarm...just look at Rolling Stone's pathetic three star review. what a bunch of crap. most of these reviewers give it a half listen and then try to find comparisons to the latest Brit Indie rock flavors of the month.

Looks like this may be true.....most Brit sites are giving the album great scores.

My father really should apply for a job at Rolling Stone. He automatically gives anything that could pass as indie a 3/5 and is highly impressed when the aged manage to release an album of any level of quality.

My father really should apply for a job at Rolling Stone. He automatically gives anything that could pass as indie a 3/5 and is highly impressed when the aged manage to release an album of any level of quality.

He'd do well at the Grammys too.

Americans only like dreary Uk bands like coldplay and radiohead or shit ones like franz and bloc party

anyone who does joy has no chance

Doves are a million times better than coldplay - cant wait to see them!

Doves more "joyous" than Coldplay or Radiohead?

:shrug:

slightly more so
catch the sun
black & white town despite being about lonliness has such a great beat you cant help but tap your feet

I like radiohead and a little coldplay but seriously, the usa needs to embrace more than posh, stuck up richboy brits

e.g coldplay, radiohead, bloc part and franz

any normal folk like doves, arctic monkeys, kasabian & starsailor have no chance

I was really disappointed by the RS review. They've given their last three albums three stars each. Really? I honestly think they simply don't get the band. I'm not just saying that because I'm a sour fan or something. I really believe they just don't get it.

I don't think you can get into Doves if you only listen to them casually, they aren't hookish and catchy, but on headphones they really shine out as different from the pack they get lumped in with, I know I had some of their music and didn't see them as special when I just sort of listened, but now that I've given them a fair chance I'm hooked.

for some reason, Doves get absolutely no respect in the US, unfairly dismissed as inferior versions of Coldplay or Radiohead. the critical reception is very lukewarm...

Yeah, that's true. The acclaim they generally get in UK doesn't seem to translate in US, who often don't look beyond the "British + mellow + guitars = another Coldplay". But it often works the other way as well, with American bands/artists getting acclaim/popularity in US but not across the pond.

I think it also doesn't help that Doves have so little star quality - love him or hate him Chris Martin is one of the few easily identifiable, magazine cover-friendly frontmen in music today.

Yeah, that's true. The acclaim they generally get in UK doesn't seem to translate in US, who often don't look beyond the "British + mellow + guitars = another Coldplay". But it often works the other way as well, with American bands/artists getting acclaim/popularity in US but not across the pond.

I think it also doesn't help that Doves have so little star quality - love him or hate him Chris Martin is one of the few easily identifiable, magazine cover-friendly frontmen in music today.

Correct, Doves and Elbow as well both have faces made for radio :wink: They are not exactly the most attractive people which unfortunately thanks to the average vapid American consumer makes them uninteresting...

There is a part of me that thinks that is a shame but then I don’t have to share them with the unwashed masses at concerts so I am cool with that :up:

Back
Top Bottom