Doves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, I almost forget how amazing this band is, I think I should rescue my Doves albums an give them a listen

Doves Prepare To Reclaim Their 'Kingdom'

U.K. rock act Doves is back amid the friendly confines of Astralwerks for the North American release of its fourth album, due in April.

The as-yet-untitled new set was recorded at the band's home studio in Cheshire, England, and is nearly complete, Doves frontman Jimi Goodwin tells Billboard.com. The first single will be "Kingdom of Rust," which he describes as having "a country-ish shuffle beat. It's really expansive with a wistful melody. It's quite emotional."

According to Goodwin, also due to make the final cut on the follow-up to 2005's "Some Cities" are the Kraftwerk-leaning "Jetstream," a "nod to our electronic past" sung by guitarist Jez Williams; "The Outsiders," which has a "piledriver bass line and a Can-like backbeat"; and "Winter Hill," a "vaguely country rock-esque tune."

"Everyone talks about f*cking departures, but this album is hopefully just Doves doing what they do really well, which is nicely crafted songs," Goodwin says. Asked if a country rock feel was pervasive, he replied, "We haven't made 'Nashville Skyline,' you know what I mean?"

Doves will return to live duty with U.K. shows in February, followed by a longer tour in April and likely summer festival dates internationally. The band is unsure about its ability to tour in the States "in these credit-crunched times, but we hope we'll be able to get there," Goodwin says.

WOOT

Good news! I saw them live in 2005, which was fortunate, cos in these "creditcrunched times", they sure as hell ain't gonna be touring Australia any time soon.. :sad:

From their myspace bulletin

hello you

Body:
Hello to everyone
I know its been ages since the last news !
Just a quick round up
Nearing the completion of album 4 ..in fact another 2 weeks and its in the can Its been amazing and soul breaking at times but we've come out the other end in tact!! .

YES Were starting to get excited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..finally its becoming a reality for us There are plans for a uk/ tour in march -- album and single release dates around March/April time ........USA Aus and Japan dates will follow in close succession

Its been to long

More news to follow

love
Jez x

So what would be a good starting point for this band?

Also, I really hope their music is better than their grammar. :)

Last Broadcast if you want a good overview of the entirety of their sound, or Lost Souls if you want something a little less eclectic. Don't listen to anything Elfa tells you; Some Cities is pretty good, but more like their bid for radio rock supremacy than a true representation of their best years. :wink: I find it nice, but rather dull.

As an album, Lost Souls is far and away my favorite, but Last Broadcast probably has more enjoyable singles. Honestly, all 3 are quite good. Can't wait for the new one, it's only 4 months away!

But yes, as LeMeL wrote, never listen to anything ELFA says.

So what would be a good starting point for this band?

Also, I really hope their music is better than their grammar. :)

Any of their albums are good, Last Broadcast is overrated, Mel just started listening to them 4 months ago so don't listen to him :tsk:

Don't listen to anything Elfa tells you

And you don't have to worry about me listening to anything that Elfa says. :wink:

But yes, as LeMeL wrote, never listen to anything ELFA says.

all three of you = dead to me :grumpy:

btw, EXCITED!!! :hyper:

Lost Souls is their best, although Last Brodcast has some of my favorite singles.

I was listening to Cedar Room this morning. What a great song!!

Doves are so underrated. I know Coldplay gets a ton of hype through the media (I do enjoy Coldplay) but Doves have put out 3, 4-5 star albums with songs that could fill the arenas/stadiums. If Some Cities walked into a party X&Y would need to go home.

I can't wait!!

I showed the Lost Souls album some love the otehr day. Completely forgot how tight of an album it is, very enjoyable.

Last Broadcast if you want a good overview of the entirety of their sound, or Lost Souls if you want something a little less eclectic. Don't listen to anything Elfa tells you; Some Cities is pretty good, but more like their bid for radio rock supremacy than a true representation of their best years. :wink: I find it nice, but rather dull.

really? I love Some Cities... it's the sound of a mature band who have honed their craft to pop perfection. :drool:

Its hard to believe Lost Souls is a debut album. Amazing.

It is hard to believe I never got around to getting it. I love The Last Broadcast so I am always surprised to hear that it is not the one people love the most. I need to catch up fast.

I am not familiar with this group, any suggestions on where to start?
Thanks in advance.

They have 3 albums:

Lost Souls
Last Broadcast
Some Cities

If you want a well developed complete album (listen from start to finish) I would listen to Lost Souls. Just be sure to turn it up when you get to "Catch The Sun".

For a handful of great songs you can listen to right away you can't go wrong with Last Broadcast.

I would save Some Cities for last. Great album, but if you don't appreciate/listen to their previous work you won't enjoy Some Cities as much.

Enjoy :)

RedRocksU2,

To give some U2/Doves history.

I know Larry Mullen is a pretty big Doves fan. And they even opened up a few Vertigo shows in Europe (2005). With their new album coming out in April it would cool for them to open for U2 for an entire leg. Their sound is big enough to fill those stadiums :drool:

Back
Top Bottom