Doves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm semi-disappointed with the recent setlists though, Lifelines and House of Mirrors don't get played? Those would rock live. There's a lot of Some Cities love, but Walk in Fire doesn't get played, but whatever they pull out should be awesome so it's all good.

That stinks, both of those songs are 2 of my favs from Kingdom of Rust.

Be sure to inform us of how the show was and what songs were played, I'm living vicariously through all of you that can see them live.

Let's just say the show was nothing short of amazing, I really hadn't had a lot of exposure to them live other than promo stuff and as with a lot of bands that doesn't do them justice (like U2). I wasn't sure what to expect from them live, as you know their sound on their records is gorgeous, but very filled in and produced, so for them to transcend the album experience and do a good job of triggering everything was a pleasant enough surprise, but all three members' vocals sound so much better than on the album which is not what you expect from 90% of singers. I'm so glad I got into this band, and u2popmofo I really wish you could have been there. The setlist was mostly what they'd been playing this tour, but it was all perfect, and to get Pounding and Last Broadcast which weren't always played this tour was great, and yes Fitz, The Cedar Room was played.

I don't think I've ever experienced phantom imaging or panning in a live setting as some of their songs did tonight which was really cool. This show proved for sure that even when a band is actually impressive live (most aren't) and bring something more than just a rendition of their album sound (why Coldplay are not that interesting live even if you like their music, which I do most of the time), hearing it or even seeing it on DVD is nothing compared to when you see a performance and really feel it in your whole body like in this club.

I was quite pleased with the balance of the sound, you know, not drowning you out to the point where you're just hearing noise, but for the first few songs it wasn't perfect, I was standing right next to the soundboard and saw a guy come over and say that you couldn't hear the guitar at all... and you know what? They fixed it right away, and that just made things even better.

I didn't know that the drummer sang on Here it Comes, and Jimi played drums, and the breakdown of There Goes the Fear was just a wicked fun cherry on the show-stopping ending, and all the members grabbing anything to bang on and just rocking out the percussion, and then everyone from the opening act Wild Light (which was half-way decent for a lame band with cliched lyrics) came out with pieces of drum kits and other percussion instruments to add to the show, as the last performance of their North American tour. Awesome.

They pointed out the fact that they hadn't been here in so long, which makes me wonder, do they ever tour between albums?

...as the last performance of their North American tour. Awesome.

:sad:

They pointed out the fact that they hadn't been here in so long, which makes me wonder, do they ever tour between albums?

I do not believe that they do. I have only seen them when they have been promoting a new album.

I enjoyed your review and am glad you enjoyed the show.

Sounds like it was a great show, powerhour! I am quite jealous. Thanks for the review. :up:

Electric Proms Performance Tonight

Doves take to the Roundhouse stage with the London Bulgarian Choir for a brand new performance, reworking the band's music for the BBC Electric Proms audience.

Composer Avshalom Caspi has been specially commissioned to rearrange a number of Doves tracks for the 40-strong choir. The choir's unique phrasing and emotive folk singing style perfectly complement the soaring melodies of the band.

You can watch the performance tonight on BBC2 & BBCHD at 11.20pm.

Or check out the iPlayer tomorrow for the full show!

For more info visit here:bbc.co.uk/electricproms/2009/artists/doves

that sucks. i'm trying to watch it, but it says not available in my area. hopefully a good quality recording will surface.

http://www.mega upload.com/?d=QQAD3OY8

full show. the first song (Snowden) has some pops in it though, just to warn you. there will probably be a better version in a couple days.

^Is that all one file? I was so disappointed when I found Elbow's Abbey Road performance of Seldom Seen Kid with the BBC Orchestra because it was one long file, I still need to take the time to break it up.

no prob. and like i said, there will probably be a better recording in a week or two. but this will hold us over.

I just listened to Kingdom of Rust. Loved it. The only album I've heard before this was Lost Souls (Sea Song is an absolute epic). Looks like I'm going to have get the rest, because these guys are definitely 2 for 2. Great stuff.

I just listened to Kingdom of Rust. Loved it. The only album I've heard before this was Lost Souls (Sea Song is an absolute epic). Looks like I'm going to have get the rest, because these guys are definitely 2 for 2. Great stuff.

Some Cities is my favorite by a long shot. But I seem to in the minority on that one. :shrug:

Some Cities is my favorite by a long shot. But I seem to in the minority on that one. :shrug:

Snowden is the band's best song, but Last Broadcast is my favorite album of Doves', though it's admittedly kind of scattered. I just find it the most fun and exciting.

I think Kingdom of Rust is their most consistent album, and a nice new direction, but I suppose Lost Cities remains their strongest effort to date. But TLB has some killer tracks, and is probably the best album to try and convert people into Doves fans.

Any time I see this thread get bumped it makes me happy!!

Lost Souls is still my fav, but all the albums are quite stacked song wise. You should definitely check out the rest, Peefer. Great band, great albums.

:up:

Lost Souls is still my fav, but all the albums are quite stacked song wise. You should definitely check out the rest, Peefer. Great band, great albums.

:up:

This.

I was listening to Doves last night. Fantastic. Am kicking myself for getting into them too late to catch them on their recently completed tour, but will make sure to see them next time around. I hear they're great live.

Snowden is the band's best song, but Last Broadcast is my favorite album of Doves', though it's admittedly kind of scattered. I just find it the most fun and exciting.

Well, never mind this. I'm definitely in more of a Lost Souls kind of place today. It sounds amazing. Just goes to show how consistently great Doves has always been.

Back
Top Bottom