doors vs the clash - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #31
She's the One

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
i know clash def wins the the battle of who has cooler sounding song titles
This shows that you just don't understand the Clash at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:11 AM
And about 90% of the people in this thread don't understand the Doors.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't know much about the Doors, but I think it's almost impossible to be better than The Clash. I think YOU are the one lacking understanding, Dave.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #34
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I'm ok with not understanding the Doors.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I hate the Doors more than I care to explain.
Even though I like a lot of music of that era, I have a fairly strong hatred of The Doors. Ick. I was going to say an irrational hatred, but no, I think it's pretty rational.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
The Male

Quote:
Pompous, pseudo-poetic ramblings paired with dated instrumentals. What's not to get?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #37
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Riders on the storm, Light My Fire, Roadhouse blues, Break on through, Love her madly,
L.A. woman, The end, Crystal Ship, When the music's over are all great, great songs

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Not to mention the fact that there would be no Led Zeppelin (and no U2) without The Doors.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that there would be no Led Zeppelin without The Doors.
I don't know about all that.

Zeppelin and The Doors were practically born at the same time. If I'm not mistaken The Doors debut came out in '67 and Zeppelin's debut came out in '68. Not to mention the fact that a lot of Zeppelin I was written around old Yardbirds riffs that Jimmy Page had been sitting on since before The Doors even formed.

But that's not to say that The Doors weren't influential. They were. The Zeppelin case is just a strange one to make. One rock legend that I know for sure was heavily influenced by Morrison and The Doors was Iggy Pop. I remember reading something about how Iggy modeled a lot of his lyrics and stage antics off of an early Doors show he'd seen where Jim Morrison was wasted while performing.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 06:11 AM
i understand the clash just fine. i said the cooler song titles as partly a joke. i know that the clash walked the walk. the fought in riots, and rallied for thier beliefs. the unfair treatment of immigrants. the bullshit that was gonna on in england in that time. the witty, edgy, well thought out lyrics. they are seen as one band. they were far more expermental the doors. what they did with reggae, is outstanding. thier music is quite powerful.
i also believe the doors, or at least jim morrison was also as real as he portrayed himself. i think the dark epics they wrote were great. like the end, when the musics over. but sometimes morrison overshadowed the band. and the cult following around his death, and his legacy, seem to be more important then the other 3 guys. morrison is so polarizing as a artist. reckless yet brillant at the same time. sadly too reckless.
both bands were part of as time of great rebellions in thier respective country's. the 60;s in the us and the 70's in the uk. but the bands went about it quite differently. the clash started a riot to rally around a belief or a idea. or a injustice. the doors, eh morrison started a riot cause he was in a bad mood. the doors once referred to themselves, as 'erotic politicans" . but the clash sang about specific things. the doors, were subject to the poetic musings of morrison. i take it, on this board, most perfer the sharp left-wing piercings of the clash, then the doors journey into the soul?
i know why people call the clash the only band that mattered. i also know why people call the doors one of the greatest american rock band of all time. I wanna know what music fans think is closer to the truth.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #41
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Riders on the storm, Light My Fire, Roadhouse blues, Break on through, Love her madly,
L.A. woman, The end, Crystal Ship, When the music's over are all great, great songs

Their hits are pretty decent, but I would never listen to an entire album. Even the often lauded debut is chock full of filler.

And if we're discussing the greatest American rock bands of all time, you have to fit The Velvet Underground in there.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Even the often lauded debut is chock full of filler.
I think it's rather overrated, personally. I Looked at You and Take It As It Comes are too generic for my liking, Light My Fire would be heaps better without the wanky noodling and The End is tedious as heck. The rest is great but I just don't think it's their best work. Strange Days on the other hand I love almost without reservations (there's Horse Latitudes but at least it's brief) and even the wanky parts (When the Music's Over) work for me just fine.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #43
Refugee

no one seems to be a fan of the 10 min songs,lol. didn't think it would be so one sided.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 AM
I like them both, but The Doors are in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, so I'd have to go with them. There's no reason to compare the 2 that I can see. They're from vastly different times and places in the musical landscape.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #45
Refugee

they were both bands that existed in times of thier country's upheaval. rebellious times. they went about it quite diffrently. i find that contrast to be interesting. also about how the bands legacy's have aged over time. its been over 30 years for clash and 40 for the doors. and after about 30 years you stop counting the years. old is old. If i had posted a beatles vs stones or u2 vs rem thread no one would ask why we are comparing the two. it would just be discussed. i decided on a more challanging comparison. that's not as easy because the groups in qustion didn't exist at the same time.

Tags
the clash, the doors