dookie/american idiot=joshua tree/achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
Anyone feel that these albums have the same impact for their respective bands. THIS IS NOT, repeat NOT , a u2 vs green day thing.Its more about the impact or significance for the careers of the bands because of these albums.

:slant: I'm kind of confused by your logic. Dookie was Green Day's major-label debut, ten years before American Idiot. Dookie filled the void that Kurt Cobain's suicide left in the musical landscape and made the world pay attention to a little unknown punk band from Berkeley, California. American Idiot is a revival of the rock opera, a type of project that hadn't really been explored since Pink Floyd's The Wall.

The Joshua Tree was hardly U2's major-label debut, and was released a mere 4 years before Achtung Baby. The Joshua Tree was the culmination of years of hard work, yes, and it made them even more visible than before, but it was hardly the album that made America or the rest of the world stand up and take notice of them. Achtung Baby is considered to be one of U2's best albums, but though it sounded different, it really wasn't much different than anything they had done previously.

So I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

just seeing what people think. i'm not offering any opinion. this isn't gonna be the HOF thread. don't worry about my logic, just answer the question or don't. thank you. they are 2 albums that stand out in each bands catalog .

It's just a bizarre comparison. All you can really say about it is that yes, they were both important albums in both bands' careers.

Dookie filled the void that Kurt Cobain's suicide left in the musical landscape and made the world pay attention to a little unknown punk band from Berkeley, California.

The only thing weirder than this thread's premise is this statement.

How did Dookie fill the void of Kurt's suicide?

205ce8h.jpg

Shit thread. Not everything needs to be compared to Shuttlecock.

amen.

they also featured guitars, vocals, bass and drums.

i used to like both quite a bit, will always have a soft spot for certain older stuff, and really can't stand either anymore. that's a few more things, i guess...

The only thing weirder than this thread's premise is this statement.

How did Dookie fill the void of Kurt's suicide?

shhhh, it's not a ridiculous and over the top generalized statement posing as a well-thoughtout observation about the progression of trends in rock music during the 90s. it's...nevermind, that's exactly what it is.

American Idiot is a revival of the rock opera, a type of project that hadn't really been explored since Pink Floyd's The Wall.

American Idiot wouldn't exist without Husker Du's Zen Arcade, which was arguably the very first (and certainly most popular) punk rock opera.

But sorz, I don't mean to start up legitimate discussion in this fail of a thread, it's not worthy of it.

i'm only posting in this thread to ridicule the original poster and to state once and for all that this thread is awful and should be locked for good.

hey, how about this... coldplay released two albums and radiohead released two albums. these two albums in question were big for both bands. are they both big albums for both bands, gang?

and come off this shit about the world paying attention to a small town band. it's fucking noise, the world wasn't paying attention to shit.

all these bonoisms... people make it out to be like music changes the world. bullshit.

the world turns whether we've got our headphones on or not.

wow, didn't know i had to run thread ideas by you guys. didn't know you guys ran the board. please send me the instructional guide and how to become elitist assholes like yourselves. dookie did something big for green day, and so did american idiot. same for joshua tree and AB for u2. what so nuts about my question? but i should have known. i posted a a remember john lennon and dimebag darrel thread on 12/08/09. the day they both passed. first or second reponse was oh, those two belong in the same sentence.So even a memorial thread gets a sarcastic response. what chance would any other thread have? and how is at least AB and American idiot not a good comparison? both were acts of reinventions and that made a mark for each band in the next decade after they made it. if AB, completely flops or never gets made, we are NOT on this message board right now. the band very well could have been done. American idiot made green day more then a just a 90's band. The other two, well, some still prefer dookie, the biggest seller, over any other album they made. Same can said for u2. Does u2 have more "other albums of somewhat lesser magnitude" . of course. But i really don't get how its so outlandish i would think of these albums in same way. I until now, did not attack anyone. I am now, but only after i'm just getting ripped apart. Proves most here are looking for a fight.

wow, didn't know i had to run thread ideas by you guys. didn't know you guys ran the board. please send me the instructional guide and how to become elitist assholes like yourselves. dookie did something big for green day, and so did american idiot. same for joshua tree and AB for u2. what so nuts about my question? but i should have known. i posted a a remember john lennon and dimebag darrel thread on 12/08/09. the day they both passed. first or second reponse was oh, those two belong in the same sentence.So even a memorial thread gets a sarcastic response. what chance would any other thread have? and how is at least AB and American idiot not a good comparison? both were acts of reinventions and that made a mark for each band in the next decade after they made it. if AB, completely flops or never gets made, we are NOT on this message board right now. the band very well could have been done. American idiot made green day more then a just a 90's band. The other two, well, some still prefer dookie, the biggest seller, over any other album they made. Same can said for u2. Does u2 have more "other albums of somewhat lesser magnitude" . of course. But i really don't get how its so outlandish i would think of these albums in same way. I until now, did not attack anyone. I am now, but only after i'm just getting ripped apart. Proves most here are looking for a fight.

Is there any way anybody can possibly disagree with you about anything without you becoming stubbornly hyper-defensive?

You're like the guy who began the "tribute bands are the enemy of art" thread, but with worse grammar.

not when one poster states their only posting here to ridicule the starter of the thread. not called for. i had not cursed anyone out until after that was said. At least some had tried to offer some opinion first without saying something like that. You can't even pretend i started any kinda of fight,zoomerang. If you didn't like the thread, then don't post in it. What is this a fucking job? am i gonna get written up now? because you don't understand the thread?

just seeing what people think. i'm not offering any opinion. this isn't gonna be the HOF thread. don't worry about my logic, just answer the question or don't. thank you. they are 2 albums that stand out in each bands catalog .

If you aren't offering an opinion, why make a thread? "Hey, I'm gonna start a thread without purpose!"?

And we're not worrying about your logic. Maybe if there was any, or at least an explanation, we might.

If you're going to pick two random stand-out albums in a group's catalogue, why choose U2 and Green Day? They're about as alike as Radiohead and Nickelback. :shrug:

The real problem with this thread is its lack of any sort of compelling argument. All four albums had tremendous impacts for their respective bands. There really isn't any way for someone to deny that. I think Green Day are absolutely awful, but I'm not going to sit here and say that Dookie and American Idiot weren't big albums for them. It's not arguable. The Joshua Cock and Achtung, Birdie were big albums for Shuttlecock. It's not arguable.

For that reason, I honestly don't really know what your intention was with the thread. Don't take it personally. It's just that when you come in and state a fact rather than present an argument, you can't really expect any valuable discussion.

i'm not offering any opinion. .

There's your problem.

well i ending up giving a opinion later on. When i offered opinions in the other thread, that didn't really work out. hell if offered a opinion off the bat here i would have gotten trashed even worse. Its too bad, i liked a few of things being said here, like the Hüsker Dü comparisons to American idiot now instead of then just trashing me, how about expanding on that thought. or suggesting a album (like zen arcade to American idiot) that was a like influence on the Joshua tree or AB. I believe one response was without zen arcade their would not be American idiot. Great. Now replace American idiot with AB in that sentence and name the album that is responsible for AB's existence. If you didn't think my thread was worthy? then why post anything? go start a thread about what you want to talk about then.

i like how the only posts you actually seem to respond to aren't the constructive ones. and it's not just this thread. people may actually be interested in talking to you rationally if you actually replied to them with any sense.

oh, and dookie is not the joshua tree and american idiot is not achtung baby. to put them in the same sentence for any reason at all is insulting to u2.

yeah.

um how do i respond exactly? what do you think i should post right now? whats the right thing to do? lets work it like that. oh yea, and i had said this is not a u2 vs green day. never said the green days albums were better then u2's.

Rumours/Tusk=Definitely Maybe/What's The Story Morning Glory. Discuss.

(You see, it just doesn't work)

Back
Top Bottom