dookie/american idiot=joshua tree/achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
really? you see no similarity's between what AB did for u2 and AI did for green day? with all due respect, if the AB reinvention/album flops, we are not here on this board. And if we were , it would to talk about a band that has been washed up since the 80's. Its not a easy thing to make your name in one decade and then do something different the next and still be successful on a commercial and critical level. Some artists obviously have. Many more did not. .At least i see it that way. If you asked me what the status of green day was a month before AI , i would have said, a good 90's band thats most likely done and not returning to anything more then a nostalgia run. For me, not saying this is official fact, or speaking for other people, its just how i feel.

Personally, I dont feel that American Idiot is all that much different from Green Day's previous output; its just a bloated version of the same crap. I'm still baffled as to why it received so much acclaim :shrug:

It's because it's "politically insightful," JT. Don't be dense.

really? you see no similarity's between what AB did for u2 and AI did for green day?

I see as much similarity in what The Joshua Tree and Dookie did for their respective bands as Rumours did for Fleetwood Mac, What's The Story Morning Glory did for Oasis, OK Computer did for Radiohead, etc. etc. etc. So why limit it to those two bands? Are they completely and utterly unique? No.

It's because it's "politically insightful," JT. Don't be dense.

snl_retarded.gif

I guess this makes you the Canadian idiot. I mean haven't you seen the album cover? It's got a grenade on it, only it's in the shape of a heart. These guys are saying something.

I see as much similarity in what The Joshua Tree and Dookie did for their respective bands as Rumours did for Fleetwood Mac, What's The Story Morning Glory did for Oasis, OK Computer did for Radiohead, etc. etc. etc. So why limit it to those two bands? Are they completely and utterly unique? No.

i don't think anyone is arguing with you, original poster. it's just that you made a thread that had no point or discussion

There will never be rock albums with the kind of impact JT/AB had again, the world has changed, and U2 really are 'the last of the rock stars'.

well... i actually do think that Green Day is the modern band that follows most closely to the career arc that U2 had, thus far, at least...

and if you're making the comparison to albums in that arc, i would say Dookie is War Green Day, Nimrod is Joshua Tree, Warning is Rattle & Hum, American Idiot is Achtung Baby...

not in that any of those albums sound anything like the ones you're trying to compare them to, but in that they represent that stage of their career... post punk/pop teenage angst, more mature song writing, an album that people just didn't get and was ridiculed, followed up with a complete 180 degree change in style that no one really expected but turned out to be brilliant.

in that, yes... i see what you're trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom